Rear view/Parking cam (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Specing our future purchase.
Can you get a rear view cam as well as parking cams?
Is it useful or do mirrors suffice?
Also position of screen, as getting a Garmin sat nav as well don't want to have too much in front of me so thought of a rear view mirror screen.
Ideally have the reversing screen on the Garmin but can that only be used with its own camera?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The screen on rear view mirrors is tiny. Only a part of the mirror is usually used.
Not sure if the GPS will have the ability to show video and the camera has to get power from somewhere which I doubt the Garmin can supply.
Then it depends on the plugs/sockets, cameras usually use phono type plugs.
In my opinion a camera kit with its own monitor is far superior.
Setting the bottom edge of the camera view as low as possible will assist reversing and the upper camera view should give a reasonable rear distance view at the same time.
You will have a far better rear view using a camera than using door and interior mirrors.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have a garmin SatNav with its own CMOS 320 camera mounted on the bumper. It has the parking lines - "Switch offable", so it is easy to park up to a rear obstacle. Not great as a rear view mirror, but certainly enough to check what is behind you - highly required in France.:cautious::cautious: Large 6" screen so easy to see, but you do have to use mirrors, screen and often a "banks-man" / Wife.:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The screen on rear view mirrors is tiny. Only a part of the mirror is usually used.
Not sure if the GPS will have the ability to show video and the camera has to get power from somewhere which I doubt the Garmin can supply.
Then it depends on the plugs/sockets, cameras usually use phono type plugs.
In my opinion a camera kit with its own monitor is far superior.
Setting the bottom edge of the camera view as low as possible will assist reversing and the upper camera view should give a reasonable rear distance view at the same time.
You will have a far better rear view using a camera than using door and interior mirrors.
Rear view mirror monitors are also available that are full 7" diagonal. They clip over the existing mirror or can (in my case) replace it completely. The advantage is that the rear view mirror position is where you tend to glance to check the rear view. This is one with decent resolution:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Rear view mirror monitors are also available that are full 7" diagonal. They clip over the existing mirror or can (in my case) replace it completely. The advantage is that the rear view mirror position is where you tend to glance to check the rear view. This is one with decent resolution:
You live and learn. :oops:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Like many other people we have twin rear cameras, fitted by the dealer. One fitting but two cameras, one pointing down for reversing and one pointing rearwards for driving. We also have a dealer fit Kenwood double DIN head unit which has radio, CD/DVD Garmin sat nav and inputs for both cameras. Not sure of the size of the screen, but it is more than ample enough for me.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
In our current van we have a Waeco camera and 7" display even has audio. Fitted by Hymer when new at extortionate cost no doubt. It is a fantastic bit of kit though. Not sure we'll be fitting one our new Moho though.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Rearview camera a VERY useful addition in my opinion. You will find it quite surprising when you see what is behind that cannot be seen via wing mirrors and motorhome rear view mirrors tend to be useless other than seeing what's happening INSIDE the van.

Wyn

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cheers, damn site cheaper than a Waeco.
As far as I can see most 'branded' camera / monitor kits are identical to the cheaper versions on eBay. They are all manufactured in the Far East. Value-add by UK or brand suppliers is expertise and aftercare. Which simply means that cheap doesn't mean its junk, and equally, expensive doesn't mean it's a rip-off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back