Rear view mirror with dash cam etc........verdict? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Need to spend my hard earned on more useless junk,and was hoping the above fits the bill!Rear view camera with GPS,dash cam,reversing camera all packed into one little unit.Im betting someone on here has already got one?If so come on,what's the verdict?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Have you got a link to a photo / specs of said unit ?

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
No but there are loads on Amazon etc but the one I was looking at is this one
Dash Cam - Junsun 160°Car DVR Camera Dual-lens 7" Touch Screen Android GPS Navigation Rear View Mirror with Rearview Camera WiFi Bluetooth G-sensor Night Vision 16GB for Vauxhall Amazon product ASIN B01KNP8WTC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Seems a lot of stuff packed into a fairly small area !! A worry I'd have is seeing too much info at any one time, ie not being able to spot the info from say the rear camera without getting distracted by the maps. Think it only records front view camera as a dash cam, would be nice if it recorded rear camera as well for the mad people driving too close to your rear end !

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Dual normally means rear view camera and reversing camera.
We have that on our bolero and it's fab.
On site you can watch what's going on behind in next van without even having a window !!
Oh yes and it's great to see how close people drive before they overtake you

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The gizmo in the OP is here for those interested.

Paul

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
If you do get one, make sure you can turn OFF the audio if it is recorded by the dash cam. Imagine playing it back to prove your innocence while a cop is beside you and he/she hears you in full rant about the ethnicity of perhaps a foreign looking gentleman who may have just crashed into you !!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a mirror mount rear view camera. In bright conditions all I could see were window reflections when driving. I've covered it in in an anti-reflective film originally intended for screen protection for a mobile phone which helps a lot. Something to bear in mind when considering yours.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have two similar units to the OPs suggested kit, one in my motorhome which was an expensive unit and one in my daily driver, a £120 cheapy off Ebay. Here's my findings on both units, the cheapy Ebay unit first:
Excellent value for money.
Image quality on the dash cam is absolutely stunning, even at night the recorded images are simply superb!
Android based OS and although it didn't have an internet browser included it was relatively straight forward to add one and as it has WiFi and Bluetooth built in it is now internet ready.
Sadly I accidentally deleted the sat nav software before I could try it out, the Ebay vendor did offer to reinstall it if I sent him the memory card but wanted £20 plus postage both ways to do it, fair enough really but I installed CoPilot live which I like and works well.
Bluetooth works superbly with my mobile phone and really simple to set up.
Can't comment on the reversing camera as yet as it is still in the box.

The expensive unit ( over £400)
This is fitted to our motorhome with the additional high level brake light/camera unit for a X250 Ducato.
Image quality for both cameras is simply superb although the memory card for the forward facing dash cam has to be formatted monthly (don't know why, it just says to do it in the instructions).
Bluetooth wokrs well and again simpler to set up.
This one doesn't have WiFi so no internet connection.
Sat Nav function is just about the worst I've ever seen or tried to use. It does work to a degree but is defaulted to shortest route (although it often goes round the houses) with no means to select fastest or avoid motorways/toll roads etc, its just set for shortest route!
The mapping database is sadly lacking in post codes, if I put in any TF (Telford) post code it always selects an intersection of two roads in North Telford, about six miles from my home. Last weekend I went to a small business south of Bridgnorth by about 4 miles but this stupid machine insisted the postcode was in high town Bridgnorth.

Out of the two units the cheapy is the better value for money although the rear view camera is a cheap job and the replacement Ducato high level brake light unit is not an option for this one but I can't comment on the Sat Nav function due to my own incompetence.

HTH, D.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Dave,thank you for that excellent review.Could you possibly put a link to the cheapo version Please as I think that will be the route I take.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back