Rear View Cameras as opposed to Reversing Cameras (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I was looking into this and pretty much all the adverts assume that you want a reversing camera but I have to say that I miss the rear view mirror view when in my MoHo but have to say that the reversing camera isn't brilliant when the bikes are on the back but I've helped this by adding reversing sensors in the valence.

One advert did say that their camera was not up to acting as a rear view camera and was suited to only being a reversing camera as the use for a rear view camera would over tax it and wear it out very quickly.

So who has a rear view camera and how did you choose it and where did you get it? Have you had any reliability problems? There is also a vast range in prices from the £30 on Ebay variety to £200 or so and not a lot to indicate if the quality justifies the price.

There is then the choice of the angle of view which can be from 90 to 170 degrees, analogue wireless, digital wireless, wired, twin camera or single, the monitor - stand alone on the dash or clipped/fixed to the mirror.

Looks like a minefield so I'll be taking my time over this. As usual @Techno has been there and done it with excellent pictures on how he achieved his installation but was quiet on the make but implied that these cameras don't seem to last long out in the elements all the time.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The cameras are fine it is the camera housing that corrodes. I stripped mine to bare metal and repainted it properly and it so far has no corrosion.
Narrow angle is better for rear view as too is a 4:3 monitor rather than 16:9

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
90 degree lens on both of mine
CA_05211412423401-M.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have a twin camera version hardwired which I got fitted by the dealer
The monitor is fitted over the rearview mirror and gives a good sense of vision of what's behind...
Only two little niggles;
1). I forget the camera is outside the van, and keep looking in the "mirror" to see what has just fallen out as I went round the last corner :rolleyes:
2). I wish I could switch views whilst reversing. Selecting reverse gear automatically switches to the second camera but I'd like the option of a wider view as well

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I was looking into this and pretty much all the adverts assume that you want a reversing camera but I have to say that I miss the rear view mirror view when in my MoHo but have to say that the reversing camera isn't brilliant when the bikes are on the back but I've helped this by adding reversing sensors in the valence.

One advert did say that their camera was not up to acting as a rear view camera and was suited to only being a reversing camera as the use for a rear view camera would over tax it and wear it out very quickly.

So who has a rear view camera and how did you choose it and where did you get it? Have you had any reliability problems? There is also a vast range in prices from the £30 on Ebay variety to £200 or so and not a lot to indicate if the quality justifies the price.

There is then the choice of the angle of view which can be from 90 to 170 degrees, analogue wireless, digital wireless, wired, twin camera or single, the monitor - stand alone on the dash or clipped/fixed to the mirror.

Looks like a minefield so I'll be taking my time over this. As usual @Techno has been there and done it with excellent pictures on how he achieved his installation but was quiet on the make but implied that these cameras don't seem to last long out in the elements all the time.

The downward looking camera isn't a lot of use with the bikes on the back, but I'm lucky enough to have a pioneer head unit that can take another reversing display, so spent a tenner on eBay and will experiment with a wide angle bumper fitted one. I'll check if it is any good prior to drilling any holes....... but it should give what I need for reversing into the driveway which is only marginally wider than the van itself

The cameras are fine it is the camera housing that corrodes. I stripped mine to bare metal and repainted it properly and it so far has no corrosion.
Narrow angle is better for rear view as too is a 4:3 monitor rather than 16:9

I've got a double Waeco unit - and had to repaint it........ The unit was fitted by the dealer.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I fitted mine may2014 and the pictures are first class to this day.
The lower one suffers zero effect from wet weather so I switch to this when its raining.
Both are narrow angle and give very good representation of distance on the road

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Very much a case you get what you pay for. cheap ones are usually that . I use these and find them very good but not cheap http://www.visionalert.co.uk/
Quite agree, but only needed a cheap one as a proof of concept, so to speak. It will be very easy to fit a decent unit if this one fails. It is (allegedly) a CCD camera as opposed to a CMOS one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back