Rear View Camera (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
Perhaps someone may be able to help with a camera issue on a 2016 Auto Trail Imala 620. Camera is high mounted on rear and connected through a Sargent adaptor to a "clip on" monitor attached to the rear view mirror (common place). The Sargent camera adaptor has Camera Input, Mirror Output and Power In. I have a clear image on the monitor showing traffic behind as well as a good view downwards which helps reversing. The problem I have is that when I select reverse gear, the monitor switches from the clear display on AV1 to a blank screen on AV2, then back to the clear view when selecting a forward gear, not much use when reversing. What I wish for is to have the monitor remain on AV1 and not switch to AV2. The only thing that comes to mind is that there must be a "trigger" when selecting reverse which causes the monitor to display AV2, but where could this signal be coming from? There does not appear to be any wire visible at the rear underside of the vehicle which links to the reverse light (an obvious possibility). All connections to the monitor and Sargent adaptor are 6 pin DIN plugs/sockets. The monitor when displaying AV2 can not be manually switched back to AV1 so there must be a signal somewhere which causes it to remain on AV2. As would be expected, the wiring is well concealed, put in place during build, not fitted as an accessory at a later date. How can I determine what is causing the AV1 to AV2 change, and eliminate it?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Perhaps someone may be able to help with a camera issue on a 2016 Auto Trail Imala 620. Camera is high mounted on rear and connected through a Sargent adaptor to a "clip on" monitor attached to the rear view mirror (common place). The Sargent camera adaptor has Camera Input, Mirror Output and Power In. I have a clear image on the monitor showing traffic behind as well as a good view downwards which helps reversing. The problem I have is that when I select reverse gear, the monitor switches from the clear display on AV1 to a blank screen on AV2, then back to the clear view when selecting a forward gear, not much use when reversing. What I wish for is to have the monitor remain on AV1 and not switch to AV2. The only thing that comes to mind is that there must be a "trigger" when selecting reverse which causes the monitor to display AV2, but where could this signal be coming from? There does not appear to be any wire visible at the rear underside of the vehicle which links to the reverse light (an obvious possibility). All connections to the monitor and Sargent adaptor are 6 pin DIN plugs/sockets. The monitor when displaying AV2 can not be manually switched back to AV1 so there must be a signal somewhere which causes it to remain on AV2. As would be expected, the wiring is well concealed, put in place during build, not fitted as an accessory at a later date. How can I determine what is causing the AV1 to AV2 change, and eliminate it?

As Richard has already mentioned in post-2 above, you will have a trigger wire which is connected to the the reverse gear signal on the gearbox or via the ecu loom.

Your AV-1 will be your primary circuit for your rear view camera but the AV-2 Is designed to accept a second 'look-down' camera which views your rear bumper when the reverse gear is selected.

The clip-on monitors are considered to be aftermarket kit so in theory they should be affixed fairly simply to your electrical system.

The monitor will usually have a wire connected which is sufficiently long enough to stretch from the rear view mirror location on the windscreen to the top of the A-pillar, down the A-pillar itself (inside rhe trim) and then into the wiring system in the drivers footwell.

What you should be looking for is the same black shiny wire that exits the clip-on camera unit but located in the footwell area, but in this instance it'll have a small additional black plastic box attached (circa 8cm x 4cm x 2cm as an example). This box will have the normal power wires going into it but it'll also have an additional wire (green in colour if I recall) that'll be attached to the rear gear circuit/selector. If you disconnect the extra wire then the camera will lose its reference trigger.

Second suggestion: If you're unable to find the trigger box then have a look behind the gear stick housing to see if the wire is connected to the reverse selector of the gearbox.

Otherwise good luck and happy hunting,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L
May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
As Richard has already mentioned in post-2 above, you will have a trigger wire which is connected to the the reverse gear signal on the gearbox or via the ecu loom.

Your AV-1 will be your primary circuit for your rear view camera but the AV-2 Is designed to accept a second 'look-down' camera which views your rear bumper when the reverse gear is selected.

The clip-on monitors are considered to be aftermarket kit so in theory they should be affixed fairly simply to your electrical system.

The monitor will usually have a wire connected which is sufficiently long enough to stretch from the rear view mirror location on the windscreen to the top of the A-pillar, down the A-pillar itself (inside rhe trim) and then into the wiring system in the drivers footwell.

What you should be looking for is the same black shiny wire that exits the clip-on camera unit but located in the footwell area, but in this instance it'll have a small additional black plastic box attached (circa 8cm x 4cm x 2cm as an example). This box will have the normal power wires going into it but it'll also have an additional wire (green in colour if I recall) that'll be attached to the rear gear circuit/selector. If you disconnect the extra wire then the camera will lose its reference trigger.

Second suggestion: If you're unable to find the trigger box then have a look behind the gear stick housing to see if the wire is connected to the reverse selector of the gearbox.

Otherwise good luck and happy hunting,

Andrew
Thanks, I will keep searching for the illusive "trigger" wire. I was wondering if the wire feeds into the Sargent adaptor as there are 3 wires on the connector plug which is labelled power in (don't see why 3 would be required). The other 2 cables connected to this adaptor are moulded on DIN, camera input and monitor output.

kilgettyblade

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
burstner 747
Exp
we had to fit a whole new system camera monitor and all wiring reverse signal came from under dash and i think it came from stereo system

OP
OP
L
May 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Imala 620
Exp
Problem sorted. As I suspected, the power input plug on the Sargent Camera Adaptor has 3 cables. I tested each of the cables and found one to become live when reverse gear is selected. I removed this cable and now the monitor remains on AV1 when reverse gear is selected, result. I have left the trigger cable intact in case of future need. Quite why the trigger cable is connected when only one camera is installed is a mystery, why would the system be designed to switch the camera off when selecting reverse gear, just when you need it! The camera system in not capable of supporting a second camera as the Sargent unit installed has only one input.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back