Rear view camera to Clarion head unit. (1 Viewer)

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It was all going so well, took the dash of the Hymer apart to try and fix the poor radio reception and fit a tracker device, thought while it was in bits it would be a good idea to fit the camera too while access was easy. Radio now crystal clear, £20 tracker works surprisingly well and the rear view camera.........nothing, just a blank screen.
The head unit is a Clarion VRX848RVD and the camera is the twin lens Sony unit from Reversing Cameras UK CAM222WMV. I plugged the camera into an old TV and got a picture, not great but think that is due to the TV. When I plug the camera into the head unit I just get a blank screen. I was warned that some head units are not compatible with the PAL camera but I'm sure I read in the manual that PAL cameras were supported (I assume the manual version is correct for the head unit). I know that without the parking brake input signal the display will give audio only, it has the signal and when I remove it I get the audio only warning.
Starting to wonder if it is a compatibility problem, need to find out quickly so I can return the camera or am I missing a trick here. Three out of three jobs completed in one go was probably a bit optimistic.
Any help or advice gratefully received.

Barry.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Not sure of the terminology, but I have a Waeco camera into a Pioneer head unit and there is some kind of Waeco adaptor box fitted between the two. The camera isn't just plugged straight into the head. No real idea what I am talking about sorry.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just had quick look at the section of the manual for connecting none-Clarion video stuff. Have you checked that the radio is set correctly?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just had quick look at the section of the manual for connecting none-Clarion video stuff. Have you checked that the radio is set correctly?
That was going to me my suggestion. When I fitted the low level camera to the pioneer head unit, there was nothing. Took me a few minutes to figure that I had to configure it in settings

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can't see any settings other than low, mid or high. Unless it's in a menu other than under visual.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Check it isnt NTSC only by googling the model. If it is you will need an NTSC camera which Im sure will be available on ebay.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It would appear the price has gone up.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not sure of the terminology, but I have a Waeco camera into a Pioneer head unit and there is some kind of Waeco adaptor box fitted between the two. The camera isn't just plugged straight into the head. No real idea what I am talking about sorry.

Now that I look at the example system diagram again it shows a ccd camera being connected through the tv tuner (no idea if I have one). As far as I'm aware there is a DVD player with the SATNAV disk and CD changer under the passenger seat, not found any other equipment yet.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I somehow posted this on the wrong thread the first time.

Different head unit but guessing the same will apply, found this question and answer on the Clarion site.

Q3

Can I connect several sources onto a VRX633R?

A3

Yes but you need a TV tuner (TTX7502/7503), CCA-389 connector and an MSS433 multi zone switcher.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thought I should update this thread for reference.

I did require the TV tuner but not the extra cable mentioned above. Indeed the camera does not even plug into the TV tuner but into the back of the head unit in the normal way you would expect. Once the tuner is connected with the Cenet cable the head unit reboots and displays the new options, select TV mode then hold down the ADJ to switch to external source and hey presto camera picture is displayed.

Barry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back