Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
we have an Autotrail Miami with fitted rear view camera. We recently changed the radio to a Pioneer with flip up screen and it gives us the image of the camera but in reverse. I'm told we need our camera set to mirror setting but no idea how to do this. Any ideas? Mags

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I've looked on the camera menu setting on the radio and there is nothing obvious. I went on the website for the radio (Pioneer X7700BT) and the manual just says to make sure that the rear view camera is set to mirror setting. Now I'm stuck.

Deleted User
Can you find any information about the camera that is fitted. Some give out a rear view image which would connect to your Pioneer and therefore give the correct image.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I know it Sunday today, but tomorrow ask the firm that fitted it how to sort it out

so wrong that suppliers walk away leaving us customers to sort out the details o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
In the manual it says that Pioneer recommend using a camera with reverse image output so it seems that you won't be able to reverse it. I am not an expert on this subject and others may be more knowledgeable than me, but I have never come across a camera that has a switchable output between normal and reverse image output so you may need to change the camera to suit.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
In the manual it says that Pioneer recommend using a camera with reverse image output so it seems that you won't be able to reverse it. I am not an expert on this subject and others may be more knowledgeable than me, but I have never come across a camera that has a switchable output between normal and reverse image output so you may need to change the camera to suit.
Yes that's what I read. Bit of a pain as it causes confusion when we try to use it. I've contacted Autotrail to see if they can suggest anything. Thanks for trying. Mags

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think it's always something that's switched in the display unit, in this case the radio, and as far as I'm aware Pioneer units don't support this function.

The only obvious solutions I can think of are to swap the camera for one that's mirror output or swap the head unit back to the original one.

Deleted User
How easy would it be to swap the camera as a new on may be a better spec than the original and may give a better image.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The setting would have been in the original radio unit, not the camera, so if you unit doesn't support 'mirror' image then you'll either have to link it to a separate monitor which you can flip the image on, or put the old unit back in ... sorry!

Did whoever sold and fitted the new radio know you wanted it for a rear view camera? If so they should have told you it wouldn't support 'mirror' imaging (assuming it can't)?

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Yes it looks like we have to get a new camera because the Pioneer unit doesn't support one that isn't mirror image. They knew we wanted it to connect to our rear view camera but it's too late now. We bought it 18 months ago and its been on my list of 'must get that sorted some day'. We're in Europe for six months and the dealer was in Scotland so we'll just have to put up with it or buy another camera. Shame but thanks for all the help. Mags

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not aware of any actual cameras which you can switch the image on as it just shows what it 'sees', it's the unit/monitor itself that usually flips the image, if it has that setting. What you need it another monitor specifically for the camera itself. The good news is that monitors aren't that expensive but obviously won't allow you to use your existing screen, however, I wonder if an auto-electrician would be able see if a 'relay' of some sort could be used to flip the output, or even if you use a separate screen then take a feed from it to your Pioneer unit once the image has been flipped.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Mel - we'll have to wait until we're home unless I can find an English speaking auto electrician. I can manage a bit of French but explaining that is beyond me.

Deleted User
I'm not aware of any actual cameras which you can switch the image on as it just shows what it 'sees', it's the unit/monitor itself that usually flips the image, if it has that setting. What you need it another monitor specifically for the camera itself. The good news is that monitors aren't that expensive but obviously won't allow you to use your existing screen, however, I wonder if an auto-electrician would be able see if a 'relay' of some sort could be used to flip the output, or even if you use a separate screen then take a feed from it to your Pioneer unit once the image has been flipped.
You can buy a camera that gives a mirror image and that will connect to the new Pioneer screen, that should solve the problem.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Not switchable but you can get cameras for this application that are permanent mirror output.

We have one. Funnily enough it works really well with our Pioneer head unit (y):D2

Probably cheaper and far less faff than messing around with a second monitor.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Not switchable but you can get cameras for this application that are permanent mirror output.

We have one. Funnily enough it works really well with our Pioneer head unit (y):D2

That sounds great. Can they change the camera without changing all the wiring?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That sounds great. Can they change the camera without changing all the wiring?

That depends on the existing camera and also on any new one you find.

Some are "plug in" some are sealed units with the cables permanently attached.

Even if yours is a sealed unit it is sometimes possible to cut and join the cables.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

so where did you get your 'mirror' camera from?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Before buying a new camera I’d suggest checking which type of connection it has. This is normally within a short distance of the camera body.
There are also different camera types so you need to buy one which is compatible with your monitor.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dunno it was original to the van but then so was the Pioneer radio unit.

Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist (y)

Here's one from a 5 second search:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-N...335517&hash=item5d6c2c8f8d:g:dcEAAOSwidlZaMFj
Personally would not have the one in the link unless you like a fish eye view as it's very hard to judge your distance with it we had one and changed it for a camera from parking www.cameras.com they have all sorts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Dunno it was original to the van but then so was the Pioneer radio unit.

Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist (y)

Here's one from a 5 second search:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-N...335517&hash=item5d6c2c8f8d:g:dcEAAOSwidlZaMFj
I've just read the manual for that camera and it says:

upload_2017-10-23_19-23-19.png

... so it appears you still have to alter the view via the unit and NOT the camera.

So come on smart :moon2: find one that does HAVE A REVERSE FUNCTION ON THE CAMERA! :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

... so it appears you still have to alter the view via the unit and NOT the camera.

So come on smart :moon2: find one that does HAVE A REVERSE FUNCTION ON THE CAMERA! :D

Well I can go and take the one off my van if you really want if. If I get really really bored tomorrow I'll go and get the part number off of it for you.

Like I said just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'll say it again and see if you understand this time.

1. There is NO function on any Pioneer head unit to change the view. If you use a standard output camera the image will be reversed.

2. I have a Pioneer head unit in my van.

3. I have a reversing camera on my van.

4. The image is not reversed.

5. That's because the camera is permanent mirror output.

Is that simple enough or shall I use smaller words? :whistle:

Personally I couldn't care less whether you believe they exist or not. I have one, that's good enough for me. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Think you misunderstand......
When it refers to a reverse gear function it refers to reverse gear (going backwards)
It will switch to reversing view (mirrored) when reverse gear (to go backwards) is selected.
at all other times it will show standard rear view (back to front)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Think you misunderstand......
When it refers to a reverse gear function it refers to reverse gear (going backwards)
It will switch to reversing view (mirrored) when reverse gear (to go backwards) is selected.
at all other times it will show standard rear view (back to front)
Eh? I don't THINK I've misunderstood, it will always have to be a mirror image!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
1. There is NO function on any Pioneer head unit to change the view. If you use a standard output camera the image will be reversed.

2. I have a Pioneer head unit in my van.

3. I have a reversing camera on my van.

4. The image is not reversed.

5. That's because the camera is permanent mirror output.

Is that simple enough or shall I use smaller words? :whistle:

Personally I couldn't care less whether you believe they exist or not. I have one, that's good enough for me. (y)
Someone jumped on your corns Nic? No need for being 'nasty', what you appear to be saying is that this particular camera is set to ONLY be a reverse image, not the normal image (ie not mirrored) that cameras usually are ... perhaps you could have said that instead of just being flippant originally ...

It seems a lot of money for a camera though so personally I'd go down the separate monitor route with a feed to the pioneer unit, the benefit being that if for some reason the pioneer one goes faulty, you still have a monitor you can use.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I came across this on another forum.

Broken Link Removed

It states that there is a plug in gadget available that reverses the signal from the camera. It also included a link below, but unfortunately that does not seem to work. However it also said it cost $110:

I also found this on yet another forum, but I have not tried it!

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/support/faq/?tx_faqextended_pi1[entry]=76&tx_faqextended_pi1[cat]=34

It says:
"How do I reverse the image on my back-up Camera?
To answer this question, you need to disconnect the green wire from the black that is within the cable from the camera. Since this is a pre-assembled cable this is not a simple disconnect and you need to "surgically" modify the camera cable.
To do this we suggest that you make a longitudinal cut in the camera cable jacket with a sharp knife/scalpel. Be careful not to make this too deep as you may actually cut the shielding of the video cable.
Start the cut 8 cm/3 inches from the 2.5 mm plug, and make it about 5 cm/2 inches long. Then peel the cable carefully open and locate the green wire. Cut the green wire in the middle.
Test the image to see that it is still ok. If ok, cut an extra 5 mm or 1/8 inch from the green cable – so that the two cut ends no longer have the possibility of touching.
Close the cable jacket and use a single layer of electrical tape to cover the cut area.
That should do it."

The only other suggestion I have is to direct your camera at a mirror with both set at 45 Deg to the rear!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back