mickyb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just like some advice,

When we do finally get our motorhome & being caravaners for the past 16yrs, I dont remember seeing any rear steadies on our 2003 Swift Sundance, is this normal, will we need any & can we retro fit if needed.
Another thing i missed when checking the van over was the fact that i assumed that because it had a grey cased Truma water heater fitted it would be gas/electric as in our previous caravans, Wrong i now believe it only has gas, can I retro fit a heating element + wiring to the original heater?

So much to learn!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi micky,
our 2001 kontiki has steadies fitted but if the are factory or not i dont know.
they look like the regular caravan type but by themselves they arent deep enough.
they are mounted on an angle iron frame (to get the correct depth) which is bolted to the locker floor just outboard of the chassis.

Upvote 0

midlander9

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Dudley West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Five
Rear Steadies

Hi Mickey, our first van was a Swift Sundance and I`m afraid rear steadies are not fitted as standard, but I do believe you are able to have them retro-fitted, but not able to help with where at this moment, I am looking into this myself as our present van a Swift Suntor 590PR has`nt any steadies fitted either, and the van does tend to rock when someone is getting in or out of the habitation door, and if your using the stove, well things can get rather unbalanced.
As for your other question I am unable to answwewr this as I just honestly dont know, but I`m sure some other knowledgeble person on the site will soon be able to.

Anyway hope this helps in some way.

Mike and Pearl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi micky,

if you know the model you can get the full spec you need <<HERE>>
if you dont know the model there are pictures of each one to identify it.

tells you what each model runs on and the power consumption and heating times.

Upvote 0

holy1hobby

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
10 years
We have a 2005 Sundance 590PR and had steadies fitted by the dealer after buying it. To be honest we dont bother with them unless we are staying anywhere for a few days and its one more thing to forget when you move off in a morning.:Eeek:

John

Upvote 0

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Ours has rear steadies but we have stopped using them as they don't appear to have much effect, they may hold the rear a little more steady than without but the front suspension just allows the van to move when walking about or getting in or out.

I would think if you really want to steady the van when parked you need 4 steadies as fitted to Caravans or most of the RV's, 2 just don't seem to work very well on there own,

You may be better off buying those light weight axle stands they have at the show, albeit i did purchase 2 to use at or near the front, but they were to tall for my ALKO chassis so double check before you buy.

hope that helps

Braunston

Hi, again, I must agree with Link Removed as we in the early days tried to drive off with them down on a couple of occasions, and while in Spain a few years ago a chap ripped one of his completely off by forgetting and driving away, so be careful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I don't now bother with corner steadies as most do not seem to work very well.

We used to use them and the way I used to remember that they were in use was to place the winding spanner across the pedals, never forgot them again.

With regard to updating the water heater, I am sure I read somewhere that you could not and the only way was to change the compleat unit. I hope I am wrong.:whatthe:

regards

Dave

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back