Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi there. Please can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to have two rear seatbelts fitted on the long sides of my U-Shaped? Thinking about if my son wants to take his family to France.

Ivy

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Finding someone willing to do the job may be more of a problem than the cost!!
Check with your insurance company before you get too far down the line seeking quotes for belts.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi Loujess
You must check out the legal and safety aspects. There are regulations concerning seating children in vehicles. Let us know how you get on,
violet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Seat belts along the side benches is a very bad idea; lap straps are marginally safer. See Link Removed - there is a section on sideways facing seats.

Not gospel by any means, but....
I have been under the impression that it was not generally possible to retro-fit seat belts at the back as there are no strength members available, nor anything to fit strength members to. You need a really strong construction for the anchor points to bolt to. The MHs that have seat belts in the central dinnette are anchored to a very strong construction that is concealed by the box that forms the seat back.
In most rear lounge motorhomes (all that I know of) the rear bulkhead is mostly just sandwich construction with hardly any strength at all.
Having said that I vaguely remember hearing about a motorhome that was constructed in such a way that rear seat belts were able to be fitted, but that's all - a vague memory.

There's also this
Link Removed
which gives general information.

I believe that seat belts (wherever they are fitted, are subject to MOT. An MOT tester might be able to give some sound advice.

Hope this has been of some use.

John

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
By the "long seats" I assume you mean the side seats?

I believe (and I've been known to be wrong) that it is not wise to fit seat belts to side facing seats.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Well thanks everybody. That's well explained. Does that mean he can't take the children to France? What about if they were in bed, either over cab or the U-shaped set down? I don't suppose it will be a problem 'cos I should think they would be just as happy here.

Ivy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Ivy
When we where looking for our MH we found one with a rear lounge that we liked and asked the dealer if it could be fitted with seatbelts he said they could be fitted no problem but i found some info on the goverment transport website advise against putting anyone in a side facing seatbelt. If its a child and you are involved in an accident the seat belts could do them more damage than the accident.
I m sure someone will come along and tell you where to find this info and im sure if you do a search on here there will be a few threads.

Gerry

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Oh that's heartbreaking! I'd be digging out the dog never mind himself! Crikey!! That wasn't just low, it was limbo height.

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back