Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
Hi

Ok, we went out again today looking at motorhomes, and have ended up with more questions about seatbelts in the rear and young children

We have noticed with the older morothomes that on a lot of the layouts there are no proper seatbelts

Where do we stand on this legally with a 4 year old and lap belts etc and lack of rear belts???????

HELP!!!!!

Last edited:

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I believe if there are no seatbelts then you are fine, but if seat belts are fitted and you dont use them you are, I'm sure someone will know definitely.

When we bought our van it was a priority, if we bought one without rear belts and anything happened to our grand daughter we would never forgive ourselves.

:Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
that's it great

Thanks GJH and gillr49

so looks like we are gonna have to make sure we get a proper rear belt for little man, wouldn't really have gone for one without. But this now makes it more expensive as it only seems to be the newer ones that have the rear seat belts

Going to have to save harder me thinks!

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Debbie
It is possible to buy an older MH (like that Hymer....) and if nessessary have seat belts retro fitted. That would be cheaper than buying a newer MH I'm sure....
You need a course in MH buying :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
Keith

I think you are right. we are going round in circles, we know what we like but they are all out of our range

I wouldn't mind Sammclois, that would be ideal for us, anyone gone a spare 16K ???

We packed away our folding camper today until next year, absolutely gutted, we really have the camping bug, hate the thought of that being it till next spring

:Sad::Sad:

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
You don't need to spend anything like £16K on a MH to get something decent and reliable Debbie, at the moment I have seen a few starting around £5-7K that would be a great start on the ladder, and you shouldn't lose money on a MH at those prices. Instead of putting your camper away for the winter, why not sell it on and then you will have some cash to spend on a MH ::bigsmile:

Keith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
Keith

All that you say makes sense. but to get the best price for our folding camper we will have to sell in season with it being canvas. This time of the year we will really struggle to sell it for anything near what we paid for it, bearing in mind we have had it only 2 months, meeting you guys at Wisbech has a lot to answer for!!!!! we are hooked

We have looked at about 50-60 MH in the last 2 days in dealers to get an idea of where we like, and I have to say the state of some of them has been shocking

Paul is not mechanically minded at all, now give him electrics and he is fine, but an engine !!!! no chance

Every time we have found one that we even thought we may like we have looked in the window price and the first figure has been a 2 or even a 3. Measured the drive and 20ft is our max, so at least we have got that far

Expensive tastes I think we have :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
hey deb!!

so deb you are coming round to the idea of a motorhome eh!! you wont regret it...but with regards to seatbelts as far as im aware you only need to use them if fitted..although i would want inertia belts fitted for my 4 year old sitting in the back...just much safer in my opinion..hope you have luck finding what you are looking for...sammy x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
thanks Sammy

Yes I think we are hooked, don't want to trade yours that is up for sale for a folding camper and a nissan micra, and lets see what else do I have I can throw in........................ 3 cats and 2 fish?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Debs
A quick scan produced Link Removed

Or Link Removed

Or Link Removed

Or maybe Link Removed

Hope this helps.....

Keith

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
so looks like we are gonna have to make sure we get a proper rear belt for little man, wouldn't really have gone for one without. But this now makes it more expensive as it only seems to be the newer ones that have the rear seat belts!

Depends what you mean by newer. Our 2003/4 model Elddis Autoquest 100 has four inertia reel seatbelts in total and (thinking of another of your posts) is only about 18 feet long. I don't know when Elddis started producing that model but I suppose you might find an earlier one if 2003/4 is too new.

Graham

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I know you have put a lot of thought and effort into this, but I just entered 'Camper van £15000' in Google, UK search and it came up with a site that included this...

http://www.gumtree.com/london/09/12844609.html

I know it may not be at all suitable, but, as has already been mentioned, you can get stuff for a lot less than 20grand if you are prepared to limit your 'wish list'. Hard I know :Nowink:

John

Upvote 0

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thanks Sammy

Yes I think we are hooked, don't want to trade yours that is up for sale for a folding camper and a nissan micra, and lets see what else do I have I can throw in........................ 3 cats and 2 fish?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hhee hhee deb i think you got a deal there on 3 cats....BUT 4 FISH!!!!!...sammx

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
WHy not buy aftermarket seatbelt kits for a cheaper motorhome ?
I can recall fitting rear seat belts to a Vauxhall Cavalier using after market kits about 20 years ago.

However, the problem with that approach is that the appropriate mounting structure has to be in place - and few, if any, motorhomes have such structures unless they also have the belts fitted.

Graham

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
no worries

We are going to save and save and save like mad so we can afford a 'newer' one that has seatbelts in already, our son's safety is paramount!

we WILL one day turn up at a meet with a MOTORHOME!..... promise

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
nope, no idea to be honest, if we want it on the drive then it has to be no bigger than20foot! and that is pushing it.

Paul really wants an RV, but then we have to find storage and I have no idea how much that would cost

The one that Sammy has up for sale would do me fine personally, or the bigger one that Ray has for sale is lovely (though way out of our budget)

Need to find a buyer for the folding camper and we would be sorted, as we have some money saved, but this time of the year will be really hard to sell it

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Debs
Just a thought, and I am sure it has occurred to you as well.....
Everything is saleable. I have been looking (out of interest) on eBay, at folding campers. There are a few for sale and it would appear that some are selling, there is always someone looking for a bargain and thinking about next years holidays. If you leave it much longer Xmas will be uppermost in punters minds and then the market slice will decline, so it is certainly worth advertising the camper NOW ::bigsmile:
What you lose on the camper you will certainly make up on buying a motorhome and again, out of interest, I have been looking at the less expensive variety of motorhomes for sale also. There are some real bargains (IMO) and I am sure that sellers would be prepared to take sensible offers on their vehicles to get them sold, so all in all I would think that you could swap over without to much financial pain and lots of people on here are more than happy to give you any advise you may need, so just start asking ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Good luck in your search.....

Keith

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Try looking at something like Link Removed to start you off....

Or Link Removed is a very nice van.

Link Removed is also a good starter MH.

I thought Link Removed was pretty interesting too....

Link Removed one is close to you and seems to only need rear spring assisters, otherwise it looks pretty OK...

I liked the look of Link Removed one too...

Link Removed one as well...

I hope you can see that there are loads of MH's available Debs without spending a fortune. They are not maybe new or perfect, but they would all get you on the road and camping throughout the year, and for not too much more than your camper should sell for. I hope this has given you some encouragement.....
I still think that Hymer you were looking at was a terrific buy, keep an eye out for it coming back on :winky:
If I can be of any help, just shout.....................

Keith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
no diea what rear spring thingys are to be honest Keith.......not sure Paul would either, anytihng that would need mechanical repair would mean a garage for us...

Paul really likes Hymers too, but I have just looked on E-bay and none of the campers like ours have any bids, I will keep an eye on them see what they go for, bear in mind we have had ours 2 months and have not made the first payment on it yet!!!!:winky:

I will go look at the ones you have pointed out, so what are your hourly mechanic rates????????????????

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Debbie
Rear spring thingy's are just little assisters for the rear springs, not a big job but improve ride, handling and load carrying performance. There are some different types around and they are mostly quite a simple DIY job to install, possibly a job for a meet when it warms up a bit :roflmto:
I am an engineer, not a motor mechanic, and although I have dabbled with cars and the like for many years I, in no way consider myself an expert. I would never charge for my time to help a friend out and any advise I could give would have to be taken as an "amateur" opinion. I know that Geo is a good mechanic and his rates are very keen, he also understands motorhomes and is a keen motorhomer so he would be the best contact I know for professional advise.
Did you buy your camper from a dealer? If so is there any way that they would take it back (albeit at a lower price...)? Maybe you could ask?
Again, I am only trying to show you that there are choices out there, not trying to put any pressure on you to buy anything, so I hope that you understand that.....
If you guys want to chat about this, you have our number ::bigsmile:

Keith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Poor Relations

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
Hi Keith

Unfortunately we did buy from a Dealer, they are closed for the Winter months, not far from yourselves actually, (Billing), open again March, or April. Although we did get a good deal it did cost us £5500, so you can imagine after having it only 2 months we would be reluctant to loose too much on it, we are aware that there will be some loss however and think that maybe the spring time would mean us getting back the most we can.

We are very excited about getting a motorhome and we really do apprciate all of your help, it is interesting as the ones you have pointed out have been ones that we have been looking at. That Hymer was certainly the best so far, with the rear single bed and all, and rear seat belts.

Fingers crossed that as soon as the winter is over and the camper is gone we will be in our first motorhome turning up all over the place, you have been warned ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back