Rear running lights (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Has anyone had rear LED running lights fitted. It seems daft to me that they are not fitted as standard. I worry as much about someone not seeing my (MH) back end, as much as worrying about them not seeing me coming towards them.
We have an auto electrician coming to see us next week to discuss fitting some. I have heard that it is difficult with modern vehicle electrics. Logically to me they would be connected to the front running lights.
Any thoughts please.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Be very careful .. There is a maximum wattage / brightness allowed to be used on rear lights.. Use and construction state 5 watts per bulb. interstingly there is no mention of the maximum amount of fittings that can be used though

As an aside, think how annoying / dangerous it is sometimes if you sit behind someone who has forgotten to turn off their fog light !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I am too old fashioned to understand Bling. I do not need to flash my wealth or lack of to anyone.
Don't understand why you need them. What is wrong with what we used to call sidelights? Or are they insufficiently bling?

Be very careful .. There is a maximum wattage / brightness allowed to be used on rear lights.. Use and construction state 5 watts per bulb. interstingly there is no mention of the maximum amount of fittings that can be used though

As an aside, think how annoying / dangerous it is sometimes if you sit behind someone who has forgotten to turn off their fog light !

I have run Volvos most of my driving life. My XC60 runs with front and back running lights. I have never had anyone complain about travelling behind me.
I had no thoughts of having bright lights, just the same as the rear lights.
I find that if I run on side lights I forget to turn them off and end up with a flat battery.
The running lights turn on and off with the ignition.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Some of our's are LED but we have high level lights as well, quite good over top's of hedges in this neck of the woods, when someone is catching you up really fast.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is on a Fiat, the DRL's are not in the bulb failure circuit so providing wiring & fusing is adequate shouldn't be a problem adding them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DRLs have to turn off automatically when main lights are on....by law, so the rears will need connecting to either the control unit or front DRLs.
That's if you can find any red DRLs as they are only fitted to the front....too intense for the rear and could be confused with brake lights.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I find that if I run on side lights I forget to turn them off and end up with a flat battery.

Then buy a Fiat - both my car and MH automatically turn off all lights when ignition goes off unless you press a small button thing.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am too old fashioned to understand Bling. I do not need to flash my wealth or lack of to anyone.

I have run Volvos most of my driving life. My XC60 runs with front and back running lights. I have never had anyone complain about travelling behind me.
I had no thoughts of having bright lights, just the same as the rear lights.

This piqued my interest.. So I rang up a friend who is a salesman at a Volvo dealership.
The XC60 does not, as standard, have rear DRL's, and Volvo do not offer rear DRL's as an option.
The sidelights come on ( in line with a good many other manufacturers nowadays ) but thats it

Did you have them fitted as an aftermarket thing ?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now

It might be possible to have a relay fitted across the sidelight switch, activated by the "ignition" switch.

Dave

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you're following me and can't see a 10' high x 7' wide white panel in front of you then I think a trip to Specsavers is in order. :(
Alternatively, shred your licence. :LOL:

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does that mean I don't have to bother with the canbus error free ones. I’ve seen 5w LED ba15s bulbs to use in my DRL's.
That's what I reckon, I had both of mine blow within a couple of days of each other last week on the way back from Croatia, no warning lights on the dash. I'm sure other members of the Hymer Club have replaced them with standard LED bulbs. Worth doing, my van is only just over 2 years old only done 19000 m and the holders were discoloured and a bit burnt.

If you can find them it is better to buy "E" marked bulbs, a lot of the cheaper non "E" marked bulbs give a poor light distribution.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
This piqued my interest.. So I rang up a friend who is a salesman at a Volvo dealership.
The XC60 does not, as standard, have rear DRL's, and Volvo do not offer rear DRL's as an option.
The sidelights come on ( in line with a good many other manufacturers nowadays ) but thats it

Did you have them fitted as an aftermarket thing ?

No is the answer.
When my DRLs are on, there are lights at the rear. Beyond that I have no idea

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
If you're following me and can't see a 10' high x 7' wide white panel in front of you then I think a trip to Specsavers is in order. :(
Alternatively, shred your licence. :LOL:

Richard.
I am not worried about what I am following, its the ones following me that I worry about.
Our neighbour was wiped off the road a couple of days ago by a lorry, he ran into her rear and pushed her across the road into the path of an oncoming lorry.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I am not worried about what I am following, its the ones following me that I worry about.
Our neighbour was wiped off the road a couple of days ago by a lorry, he ran into her rear and pushed her across the road into the path of an oncoming lorry.
Sorry @Casper46, it was badly worded and not aimed at you, but to A N Other or anybody else who might be behind me.
Most rear end shunts are not caused by the vehicle ahead being invisible but by the following driver not paying attention. Mobile phones and texting come to mind.

Richard.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I wonder why they (the manufacturers) don't have the rear lights coming on with DRL's as it would cost next to nothing to do so, thus preventing the lazy bas++++ds who don't/won't switch their lights on in adverse conditions' just because their DRLs are on......
it really pisses me off......
Rant over,
Cheers, Dave(y)

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
DSCF9787.JPG
DSCF0528.JPG
Put some 12v lorry stork lights on end of bumpers from truck stop.
On fait ( old ) just wired in with towing electrics.
About to do it on sprinter based Mh just bought but have to be careful with cambus wire ring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back