Rear recovery point: Ducato X250 chasis (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What's the advised rear recovery point on an X250 chassis ?

Had to help a fella last weekend and could not find anything solid on his chassis which was slightly extended (similar to mine) which got me thinking that I wasn't as prepared as I thought i was. Read his manual and mine and nothing, only mentions the usual M12 screw in front recovery hook.

The only thing I was comfortable connecting a rope to was his rear axle, all else looked like mecano.....

I did advise him that if he was going to get stuck in future then he should make sure he could be recovered from the front:whistle:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The panel van has a proper point. Surely the converters should make sure there is a rear tow point.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Agree, buggered if I could find one and no mention in 2 separate manuals. Good job we had a long tow rope.... but crawling under someone else van ain't no fun....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS TO AN AL KO SETUP!! You WILL bend the axle!

D.
I think it might be possible to bend the Fiat axle in the same way - FWD vehicle rear axles don't need to be particularly strong where a pull would be applied.

Anyone needing rear tow recovery should consider a strap between the rear spring hangers extended to rear centre of the van then attach the tow rope at that point. Not ideal but easily strong enough to accept a pull.

Or fit a towbar.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I think it might be possible to bend the Fiat axle in the same way - FWD vehicle rear axles don't need to be particularly strong where a pull would be applied.

Anyone needing rear tow recovery should consider a strap between the rear spring hangers extended to rear centre of the van then attach the tow rope at that point. Not ideal but easily strong enough to accept a pull.

Or fit a towbar.

The original Fiat rear axle is a substantial piece of box section with ( I think) 4mm wall thickness, the AlKo axle tube is a round section with a thinner wall section so a strap around the middle of AlKo will bend it while a strap around the middle of the Fiat unit probably won't. Having said that best practice would be to attach a strap at the chassis rails of an AlKo and then apply pull to that or if an original Fiat suspension setup is present a tow point should be present at one of the rear spring hangers, UK drivers side from memory.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I had a look at the axle on the van that we pulled out and the box section I'm pretty sure was 5mm, that was the very thing I was concerned about, i.e. helping out and causing more problems...

Also as we used a winch on the front of a tractor I wasn't as concerned as the stress was gradual and actually very mild, certainly not like the kinetic pulls i've done with a Discovery.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back