Rear rear suspension MOT failure (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
image.png
Have just done a bit of Google digging on this subject and found
VOSA/PSP/2167B/FEB11 Feel free to google and read whole piece. It seems that Vosa, now Dvsa, knew of this problem in Feb 2011 and changed the info in the testers manual to raise awareness. So it seems the info in section 2.4 regarding bump stops not being confused with assistors was put there specifically for this very problem. This was added to the testing manual on 01/01/2012. I can't find a copy of the testing manual before this date to see if this is the case and how the wording was changed. Dvsa then wrote the article in Matters of Testing in Oct 2013 on the same subject advising testers to determine whether assistors were fitted, ie TEST TO THE MANUAL.
I hopefully include a screenshot of the relevant page.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Just had a reply from DVSA....... according to them them the issue is covered in the manual.
If MOT testers read the manual properly, and get up to speed with modern suspention systems, this problem would never arise.
I am of the opinion that the information needed has always been in the manual.

Here is the reply i received from DVSA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr McKirdy,
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 27th January 2017, concerning the above.

Please see below the response to your enquiry we have received from Vehicle Testing and Roadworthiness Team.

This is addressed in the inspection manual under section 2.4 with a note in the information column that states" A suspension bump stop must not be confused with rubber/synthetic suspension spring assistors."

The inspection manual can be view on line at the GOV.UK web site see link below.
Link Removed

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards
Tina
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe MOT testers should practice what they preach, and rather than add to the stress, read the Official Manual properly before adding misleading comments on a forum.
The link is to the manual and it clearly states the facts that should alert any tester to the proper course of action.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Passed a copy of my email from DVSA to the garage tester this morning which he read and said 'its a good job I passed it then'. Its a bloody good job I questioned it then and on here, at DVSA and DVLA otherwise I would have been out of pocket at the offered fitting of new springs by this MOT tester at around £500.00

From their replies DVLA and DVSA are of the opinion that their MOT testers are fully capable of knowing the difference between a bump stop and a suspension assistor. It is plainly the case that several are not and this being the case these particular vehicles will still run the gauntlet when MOT tested and possibly failed as I was and an unknown number before me.

I cannot see this problem ever going away unless UK imported base vehicles have their spring assistors marked as such at all four corners of the compass for visual ease to aid those testers who have difficulty recognising them. Maybe as mentioned earlier these assistors should be documented in the Registration Certificate?

Really not a good outcome for all motorhome owners with these specially suspended and lowered chassis.

Vin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
@vin0114 If nothing else you have brought it to the attention of many people both on here and in authority. If the problem comes up again we will have the info to hand.

You experience might save many a motorhome owner sleepless nights.

For all that might be interested in downloading the MOT Manual there is a link in my prevoius post #185

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Please let us know the outcome.

So the Doblo got a major clear-out/spring-clean...but when I got to the point when the heaviest items left were an almost-empty CampingGaz bottle and an electric toothbrush I called it a day. The assisters were still touching the leaf springs...just.

I took it in for the MOT and decided not to mention anything. Before the bottom part of the assisters wore away early last year without me realizing they must have been close to the springs for years and it was never brought up during the MOT, so I wasn't going to risk highlighting the issue this time around with the new assisters. However, after following this thread and noting that in the advisory last year the garage referred to the items in question as being worn bump stops I braced myself and prepared for the worst.

(Am I the only person who finds MOTs worse than going to the dentist?)

The van passed.

No mention of the suspension. I'm sure there used to be a small gap between the assisters and the springs, so I then discussed replacing the springs with the mechanic. Apparently I have to order them and they'll fit them. I might go for heavy duty versions and see if it makes a difference gap-wise.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
So the Doblo got a major clear-out/spring-clean...but when I got to the point when the heaviest items left were an almost-empty CampingGaz bottle and an electric toothbrush I called it a day. The assisters were still touching the leaf springs...just.

I took it in for the MOT and decided not to mention anything. Before the bottom part of the assisters wore away early last year without me realizing they must have been close to the springs for years and it was never brought up during the MOT, so I wasn't going to risk highlighting the issue this time around with the new assisters. However, after following this thread and noting that in the advisory last year the garage referred to the items in question as being worn bump stops I braced myself and prepared for the worst.

(Am I the only person who finds MOTs worse than going to the dentist?)

The van passed.

No mention of the suspension. I'm sure there used to be a small gap between the assisters and the springs, so I then discussed replacing the springs with the mechanic. Apparently I have to order them and they'll fit them. I might go for heavy duty versions and see if it makes a difference gap-wise.
Thanks for getting back and glad there was no problem with the MOT. One of the guys on another forum after his vehicle was failed had new springs fitted and found that the assisters sat exactly the same i.e filled the space between chassis and leaf spring. He did get his money back and was told to keep the new springs but it should not happen.
Vin

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Old post I know but one worth revisiting.

I have just changed both of mine one was totally battered the other worn on the bottom.

now I have a gap between the spring and the stops of approx 1 inch. 25 mm.

I had thought it may have been an mot fail but it seems it was something that was not mentioned on the mot or the advisors

but replaced anyway.

the front is low and just had new struts put on with the old springs that are in very good condition.

but I can’t find a way of lifting them a little. As the front always look lower than the rear end.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...

I have just changed both of mine one was totally battered the other worn on the bottom.

I had thought it may have been an mot fail but it seems it was something that was not mentioned on the mot or the advisors

but replaced anyway.

the front is low and just had new struts put on with the old springs that are in very good condition.

but I can’t find a way of lifting them a little. As the front always look lower than the rear end.
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman !

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...

but replaced anyway.

Front Needs New Springs,25/35mm longer ones would lift it,VGC means the Paint hasn't flaked, don't tell if the springs have compressed due to age, especially with New Struts...

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vinnys van was sorted. They just asked him to step out of his van and the suspension lifted. :rofl:
Well thanks for that Jim wait till I see you. I'll have you know that I lost 2 stone during the pandemic and I've now managed to get most of it back:LOL:...with a little bit more!

Hope to see you soon

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Well thanks for that Jim wait till I see you. I'll have you know that I lost 2 stone during the pandemic and I've now managed to get most of it back:LOL:...with a little bit more!

Hope to see you soon
Yes same here Vinny,it will be nice to see you both as well. I'll stand you a beer. :rofl: :drink:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/the-knowledge-spring-assisters-and-bump-stops/

On vans, the preferred method is to use a rubber cone, which keeps unladen weight down and allows a low load height. These cones look like oversized rubber bump stops but work in a different way. The centre of the cone is hollow (see Fig. 1) and when the suspension oscillates, the rubber compresses – effectively dampening the spring oscillation. The compression rate is progressive until eventually – at full load – the cone is fully compressed and then acts as a bump stop.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would have thought that any 'bump stop ' would be solid rubber & any 'spring assister' hollow of the aeon design ?
@laneside

If it is on French plates are you allowed to actually fit air suspension yourself ? I only ask as Here you cannot fit anything yourself as it requires any fitting to be done by a 'qualified' person. What that means is someone that can supply the paper needed to add whatever has been installed on to the registration document.
When I fitted my air suspension, although a certificated Heavy Diesel Marine & Plant Engineer, I did get mine signed off by a practicing Coach workshop as I have been retired a number of years. I retain this certificate and this instruction is enclosed in the Dunlop Kit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Virtually all MHs are lower at the front than the rear, even PVCs, we've never had a level one on it's own suspension ever.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Front Needs New Springs,25/35mm longer ones would lift it,VGC means the Paint hasn't flaked, don't tell if the springs have compressed due to age, especially with New Struts...
No the paint is still on them and clean. Just the shocks had misting around them and they were changed under the mot advisories .

now there wax oiled so I guess there be in good condition but questionable under mot standards ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back