Rear rack or towbar mounted rack? (1 Viewer)

Jax n Brian

Free Member
Sep 9, 2019
Peterborough Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
We have a 2019 swift select 164 campervan/motorhome. I also have a westfalia towbar mounted bike rack previously used with my car. Should I fit a towbar to accommodate the rack I already have or fit a thule bike rack on the rear doors. My bikes are non electric weighing in at 14 kgs each. Would it be worth considering rear air suspension to cope with the extra weight of towbar and bike rack, or even rear mounted rack. Thanks folks you advice is very welcome

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'd go for the door mount. Way cheaper, unless you also have another need for the towbar. Towbar mount tends obscure the lights, so you'll need the towbar, towbar electrics, rack and lighting board. The door mount can usually be positioned not to obscure any lighting. If you've got a 3500kg limit, you definitely DO need to consider weight. Typically, the rear axle load will go first, as every 1kg you add behind the rear doors will leverage an extra 1.5kg or so on the rear axle.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
One other concideration:
Can you easily lift the bikes to the height required on the back door above the lights?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back