Rear Overhang (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
At a little over 9m on an Iveco extended Chassis we have overhang, currently fitted are the Roller Wheels though they rarely touch the ground I don’t like the look of them, I would prefer to replace them with Skids but can’t source any! Does anyone know where I might find some.Thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
To me the wheels look to low so yes I would want rid of them, we were watching everybody leave the field at the N+B factory and lots of the Concordes grounded the wheels but the van without wheels were fine.

Martin

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
To me the wheels look to low so yes I would want rid of them, we were watching everybody leave the field at the N+B factory and lots of the Concordes grounded the wheels but the van without wheels were fine.

Martin
Good observation, the wheels do actually add to the problem as they sit lower to the ground, I use the rear air suspension if it’s a bit tight to the ground but I believe I would gain a couple of inches extra clearance with Skids which would eliminate the problem and enhance the appearance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Good observation, the wheels do actually add to the problem as they sit lower to the ground, I use the rear air suspension if it’s a bit tight to the ground but I believe I would gain a couple of inches extra clearance with Skids which would eliminate the problem and enhance the appearance.

And if you eliminated the skids you’d gain even more clearance!
It’s difficult to see what benefit is obtained by fitting anything that puts any part of the underside closer to the ground.

Ian

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
It’s difficult to see what benefit is obtained by fitting anything that puts any part of the underside closer to the ground.

Ian
Except to protect the chassis extension from damage I guess - not really sure though :oops:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The front engined American RV market had the same problem 15 - 20 years ago until they started building motorhomes on bespoke chassis, lengthening the wheel base which eliminated the chassis. While they were at it they widened the track as well.

Consequently the States are the best place to look for "bolt on" solutions such as skid wheels and Skid Ski's

My last RV with a massive overhang was a nuisance, so I installed an onboard compressor and had some aluminium spacer blocks made to compress my air suspension units by about 75mm

I could then flick a switch and get loads of rear end lift should I need it for drives, ferries and ramps, only I hasten to add for slow maneuvering, not on road driving

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Ian
Skids would actually allow more distance as they are not as deep as the wheels

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Ian
Without skids yer arse end on the ground in your rear view mirror is the only other option :doh:
better to hear the skids letting you know you've grounded than your rear skirt or panels

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
D71AAFB5-E885-4F5C-94F9-4C8BFEB0ADE2.jpeg
Thanks to Eddievanbitz suggesting Skid wheels I found these which are completely different to the original items and about 2thirds smaller.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
View attachment 209763 Thanks to Eddievanbitz suggesting Skid wheels I found these which are completely different to the original items and about 2thirds smaller.[/QUOTE]

They work well as they are designed to attach to the RV tow hitch, so can be easily added with out any tools, "if" you have a draw hitch style tow bar

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Just been to pub...
There was a few in there with a rear overhang.. :D

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I had a bird once who had a large rear overhang!!!

The skids on her were shocking!!!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Ian

Skids would actually allow more distance as they are not as deep as the wheels

Agreed, but my point is that they would still reduce your ground clearance compared with not having anything fitted.

Without skids yer arse end on the ground in your rear view mirror is the only other option :doh:
better to hear the skids letting you know you've grounded than your rear skirt or panels

You are missing my point :doh:! If you lower your ground clearance, don’t be surprised if you ground out. If you didn’t lower the ground clearance, you wouldn’t ground out! :doh: Yes, there will be circumstances when without your sacrificial accoutrements you’d ground out but they will occur at a lower frequency than those where you’d fitted your accoutrements. They are, in my view, completely pointless!

Ian

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Agreed, but my point is that they would still reduce your ground clearance compared with not having anything fitted.

You are missing my point :doh:! If you lower your ground clearance, don’t be surprised if you ground out. If you didn’t lower the ground clearance, you wouldn’t ground out! :doh: Yes, there will be circumstances when without your sacrificial accoutrements you’d ground out but they will occur at a lower frequency than those where you’d fitted your accoutrements. They are, in my view, completely pointless!

Ian

I think the there is some confusion the current Wheels are five inches the new rollers would be 2 inch, therefore, I am raising the ground clearance by 3 inches

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think the there is some confusion the current Wheels are five inches the new rollers would be 2 inch, therefore, I am raising the ground clearance by 3 inches
No confusion. I agree on your maths but it’s still 2” lower than it needs to be!

Just think how often you will ground out needlessly. Two inches is a big loss of ground clearance.

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No confusion. I agree on your maths but it’s still 2” lower than it needs to be!

Just think how often you will ground out needlessly. Two inches is a big loss of ground clearance.

Ian
But if "grounding out" actually means pulling the rear valance off it might be worth some very minimal skids just not the massive wheels that Concorde fit and they bend first time they go down half way round a corner.

Martin

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its illogical argument saying not fit is best solution , as that presupposes that there will not be a point that you will ground out if they are not on there . The second thing is that you need to take into account what will be the first thing to ground if they are not there , if that is the rear panel then something needs to be fitted to take that first contact point away from the panel , so fitting skids or wheels that contact just prior to the rear panel is the logical solution . Simple ss In the case of my RV its the bottom of the tow jaw.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back