Rear of Motorhome sitting low over wheels - Elddis Autostratus 1998 (1 Viewer)

Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Hi there

Has anyone had an issue with their motorhome sitting incredibly low over their back wheels? I am a little worried we may have a rear axle issue (which sounds expensive?)

The gap between the tyres and the wheel arch is only about a fingers width on each side of the Motorhome. Its been like that since we bought it and it passed its MOT, but we had a Motorhome expert out today and he he did say it looked very close. However, he wasn't entirely sure what it could be, or whether the Elddis Autostratus makes do generally sit very low.

We do have quite a heavy bar at the back which looks like it used to tow a car, which I thought would be weighing it down, but the MH expert said, it shouldn't really.

He suggested I search it on the internet to see if its a common issue, but I cannot find anything and so, I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else has had these issues, or something similar. Its on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, so not sure who to refer to for an opinion?

Any help would be very much appreciated (I attach photos, too). I've also got more photos of the underside, too if that helps?

Attachments

• Rear wheel arch.JPG
    Rear wheel arch.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 179

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Many motorhomes have been built with rear wheel arches close to, or even partially covering the wheels, some are almost impossible to remove the wheels from. Ignore the wheelarch to wheel for a moment and look at how the motorhome sits when parked on level ground. The usual stance is slightly nose down but some can sit level. What you don't want is for the motorhomes are to be dragging on the ground. How do the rear springs look? The should be lower in the centre than at their ends. It is possible that the springs have sagged with age so it may benefit from new springs or auxiliary air suspension.

D.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I had similar problems resulting in damage to the rear plastic fittings where they hit the road. My answer was to have air-suspension fitted.
Looking at your van as it is, I would be interested to know if the payload allows for what is already pulling the rear end down. Could have been overloaded in the past leaving the springs a bit tired.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
slightly tongue in cheek, but is that plastic wrap heavy?

I recall reading that metallic paint adds weight

But as the whole thing is wrapped I really cant see affecting the rear only

As said above is it level on the road? could all be an illusion due to the wheel arches :)(y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would go to a weighbridge and check your rear axle loafing is within limits.
Towbar can add 50kg plus and being right at the back wiil add more to the rear axle.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Not the same type of motorhome but running on a year 2000 Peugeot Boxer. Ours is loaded for holidays in this picture & as already said, they do normally run nose down. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Did I read on the other thread that you're travelling with four kids?
I'd be inclined to visit the weigh-bridge fully loaded to confirm that your running within the vehicle's limits.
As already mentioned, air suspension would help and not too expensive....

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The rear leaf springs are prone to sagging and in some cases can be refurbished or better still replaced with an uprated version. these are or were available off the shelf reasonably cheaply

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the OP'S motorhome has no rear springs,its an alko chassis with torsion bar suspension.
same motorhome as mine,and looks normal to me(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the OP'S motorhome has no rear springs,its an alko chassis with torsion bar suspension.
same motorhome as mine,and looks normal to me(y)
sorry, bad memory, i thought i remembered that van was on the fiat chassis. As you know with the alko torsion bar suspension regular greasing with the wheels fully of the ground is essential. there is a firm that refurbishes alko axles up in scotland, but the name currently escapes me. They either do exchange axles or you send yours and they refurbish fully and return in about a week

edit
it was annoying me not remembering, so did a search
http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/index.php?c=al-ko-axle-repair

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does this type of suspension degrade with age like a leaf spring can?
yes because the torsion bars are constantly under compression. they tend to sag over time, but worse still if not regularly greased right, the torsion bars snap inside the axle tube one at a time (there are 4 either side)

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Mine was low last year, but that was due to me having 3 slabs of San Miguel in the boot.

Upvote 0

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
hi there Faye love the van colour. I've got the same van as you an elddis autostratus EB on an 1999 or 'V' plate and you're about right on the suspension. When you get the van serviced lift up the rear of the van until tyres are just resting on the ground and find the grease nipples on either end of the torsion tube squirt as much grease as you can. The Alko manual that that came with my van says that they recommend Shell Retinax LX grease also if you are using 205/70R15C tyres then they recommend 60psi and 65 psi.
With reference to your damp problem I would say that the damp is coming in via one or both of the 2 roof seals. It's a dumb design where the roof seals are in the dip of the roof. My fitter removes both of these seals every 3 years and reseals them and using some old blocks of wood I give the van a lean to the side preventing the rainwater sitting on the seals.
I am personally thinking of getting the roof covered in a flexible membrane to seal up these joints. But as we like the hot weather it will probably be in white.
If you want some copies of the paperwork that came with the van then ask as I did a set of copies for "RS_rob ".
I have the following manuals:- Carver ,Alko Peugeot and Elddis incl wiring diagram. Unable to do it immediately as I've still got a month left of touring round Hungary to do.
But as always any problems just ask

Upvote 0

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Just found a photo of mine to compare to yours.
At the moment I have 4 horizontal fingers of Tyre between metal wheel and wheelarch
Image.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
1998 Peugeot Boxer
Hi there

Has anyone had an issue with their motorhome sitting incredibly low over their back wheels? I am a little worried we may have a rear axle issue (which sounds expensive?)

The gap between the tyres and the wheel arch is only about a fingers width on each side of the Motorhome. Its been like that since we bought it and it passed its MOT, but we had a Motorhome expert out today and he he did say it looked very close. However, he wasn't entirely sure what it could be, or whether the Elddis Autostratus makes do generally sit very low.

We do have quite a heavy bar at the back which looks like it used to tow a car, which I thought would be weighing it down, but the MH expert said, it shouldn't really.

He suggested I search it on the internet to see if its a common issue, but I cannot find anything and so, I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else has had these issues, or something similar. Its on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, so not sure who to refer to for an opinion?

Any help would be very much appreciated (I attach photos, too). I've also got more photos of the underside, too if that helps?
I have the 1998 Peugeot Boxer Autostratus 6 berth and it sits in exactly the same orientation as in your pictures. So perhaps they are meant to be like this.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A very old thread resurrected, well done šŸ‘
Two suggestions I would be thinking about if it was mine, spring assisters or air bags to lift it an inch or two. Contact SAP in Doncaster and have a chat.
Good luck with it.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Some will talk about air suspension and air assist but in your age of van with alko torsion bar tube suspension there aren't any options to do this (at least not when I looked). If you have already lost a tirtion bar inside the tube or it has not been greased at least every year then new rear suspension tube required. Roughly Ā£3000 fitted and are made to order.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back