LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
help please my rear lights on the mh aint working if i turn them on they come on for around 2 seconds then go off my break and flashers still work ok i have no column fuses which the manual says are optional it seems like the click for the lights coming on is in the habitat box but all the fues in there are also ok didnt realize they wasnt working till someone flashed me like a maniac last night and i didnt bother to stop lol
my mh is a carioca 694

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
If they come on for a couple of seconds & then go out I would suspect a bad earth connection? possibly ????

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Had exactly the same problem on my Hymer - as suggested it was the earth wire at the rear of the vehicle which is subject to all the rubbish thrown up from the rear wheels in the wet. Cleaned all rear light earths, protected the area with grease and also put protective 'flaps' around that area using builders damp proof membrane - no problems since.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx i will try that now will let ya know the outcome

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
cleaned everything but still the same ?

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
the grandsons are swimming and having fun so i will sit down with a few jd's and contemplate what i will try next watch the news for the disaster lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look along the chassis starting at the back, there may be a plastic waterproof joint box which connects the original rear light wiring and the converters wiring.
Remove the cover and check wiring connections......maybe the box wasnt as waterproof as it could be.

Both rear lights will probably be supplied by just one wire....unless its a canbus system.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am going to be no help at here, so apologies, my technical knowledge is pretty much zip

I am joining in because I am intrigued by why they would come on and then go off, I would have done like you gone for a fuse, but logically the fuse must be OK for them to work at all

Confused but intrigued (y)

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
david like i said there is no fuse that i can see i can hear a click in my habitat box of fuses and gizmo's but thats all ok was to rat arsed yesterday to do anything and its bloody raining today so will check suggestions l8er

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There is a relay that controls the lights. If the contacts are pitted inside, or the current isn't holding the magnet in place, then it will come off. It should be a small box relay, pull out, with four uneven spade terminals on it's base. Cheap enough. (if it is that)....(y)

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thanks but where will i find the relay please

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
Hi bill you don't say if the dashlights or front side lights play the same game when you turn on, the cause is possibly the ecu detecting an overload so turns off the circuit it may be as simple as a bulb remove all the main lightbulbs try the lights if it works replace each one until fault reapers bin the bulb that causes the fault if the problem still shuts down with no main bulbs in check for damage to any light which is connected to sidelights for damage or faulty bulbs do not forget list in lockers etc
Hope this is of some help
Tony

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx tony its just the rear lights brakes and indicators all ok i will check all bulbs but will have to wait till tomorrow at the moment its hammering it down here still the grandsons in their truly mental state have still gone swimming so some peace and quiet for a while

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What tony means is generally front sides, dash lights and rear lights are all on one circuit...brakes and indicators have their own respective circuits.

If it is ONLY the rear sidelights at fault and the fronts/dash work then its a wiring fault/bad earth to the rear lights.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
sorry it took so long to answer u but you was right it was a earth cable on viewing the cabling under the van its a shambles and it looks like it was like that when built bloody wasters still all ok now my neighbor found the break in the earth and has now rewired my lights for me using better connectors
so thanks all for your help

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Glad you got it fixed. The problem is with a coachbuilt is that before it had the body fitted it was a running chassis with lights fitted. When the builders get it they remove the original lights and extend the wiring from the wiring loom that the chassis manufacturers have installed and that's where the problems may start allowing water into the joints.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
yeah i know the fuses for all the other lights but there is none for the rear lights and the front side lights they are all controlled from the leisure unit bloody madness

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back