Rear Heating (1 Viewer)

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
So had the heating on in the motorhome over the weekend and the rear area where the fixed bed gets so hot and the front is warm. Had a look at the blown air heating pipes and there is two to the front then one goes to the rear and wraps round the bed. So wracked my brains a bit and came up with a plan :).
Im thinking of using one of these in the pipe that goes to the rear.
Broken Link Removed
Connected to a 12vdc Linear actuator controlled by a thermostat so automatically opens and closes it on temperature of the rear section
Broken Link Removed.
I,ll let you know how it goes.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Wouldn't it be easier to simply close the vent butterflies at the back?
No airflow, no hot air.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No airflow, no hot air.
I think the issue is not just the vent but the fact that the pipes run round the bed so there's heat eminating from them and not just out of the vent itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Pretty sure the truma guy at the NEC told me the truma 6 has to have all the vents left open, assuming it’s a truma heater of course

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pretty sure the truma guy at the NEC told me the truma 6 has to have all the vents left open, assuming it’s a truma heater of course
Why?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Can’t remember the exact reason MG, however I got the impression it was important to ensure they were all open
Might google it to make sure I heard correctly, but it’s something that stuck in my head from the conversation I had about my truma 6 operating functions

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can’t remember the exact reason MG, however I got the impression it was important to ensure they were all open
Might google it to make sure I heard correctly, but it’s something that stuck in my head from the conversation I had about my truma 6 operating functions
Not sure what he was talking about as the whole point in having the vents with flaps on is so you can adjust the amount of heat being blown into the various areas of the MH ... it's vital that at least ONE is left open obviously when it's being used but I can't find any requirement for them all to be kept open at all times, I've just had a shuftie at the manual and there's no mention at all of this requirement and if it was that important there would be.

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
No airflow, no hot air.
There is no butterfly vent it comes straight from the heater round to the rear Of The Moho. Plus if the heating is in overnight and the temperature drops in the rear it will open again to allow it to warm up.

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
If they all had to be open why would they fit vents you can close??

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Only looked at this thread cos 'er indoors has a cold bum in bed and I thought someone had found the solution ... oh well ... no spooning for us this winter eh

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If they all had to be open why would they fit vents you can close??
Good point, I actually thought the vents had slats that were adjustable to direct the flow rather than open/close
Need to go and check mine because as you say if they open/close then obviously I’ve mis-heard what he said

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
the more vents you close, the stronger the airflow from the remaining open vents becomes, so you can force the air into a certain area of the van by shutting off certain vents

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Our blown air heater used to send to much warm air from the short pipes near the heater and not enough down the long pipes to the front. When I contacted Truma they sent me some reducers to fit in the short pipes which then sent more heat to the front. They did say the converters should fit them to get even heat distribution but I suppose it's to much trouble .

OP
OP
The Flute

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
the more vents you close, the stronger the airflow from the remaining open vents becomes, so you can force the air into a certain area of the van by shutting off certain vents
That's okay if it had a vent on it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Only looked at this thread cos 'er indoors has a cold bum in bed and I thought someone had found the solution ... oh well ... no spooning for us this winter eh
Are you still allowed to do that , or is it sexual harrasment now, any unwaned contact is, it seems

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Try giving her a good spanking to warm her up for the main event.
:xgrin::xThumb:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The boiler itself under the bed provides quite enough heat at the back in our Bolero but it always takes ages for the front cab area to get warm, despite there being a vent there. So I shortened the one that wraps around the bed and it seems to help a bit. I did notice that the pipes coming off the boiler (4) tend to work themselves off so every now and again I give them a shove back in. There's no apparent fixings and it's a right b-----d to work around the boiler.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That's correct but this is applicable to the 6E to help prevent heat accumulation in the main system. If you have a 4E then you can close one vent completely.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
That's correct but this is applicable to the 6E to help prevent heat accumulation in the main system. If you have a 4E then you can close one vent completely.
I have the combi 4 (not E) and my setup (Globecar PVC) has 6 vents (2 to rear, 1 in heads, and 3 in saloon)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thks, mine is the 6E, so maybe I did hear/understand him correctly and not loosing my marbles

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have the combi 4 (not E) and my setup (Globecar PVC) has 6 vents (2 to rear, 1 in heads, and 3 in saloon)

I'm not totally familiar with your system Gerry but two of your outlets are likely to have y-junctions added to give you a 5th and 6th vent.

Cheers,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thks, mine is the 6E, so maybe I did hear/understand him correctly and not loosing my marbles

Each of your 4 vents will be connected to a single system outlet via a flexi pipe. You can split a distribution pipe using a y-junction to create a 5th vent, 6th vent and so on. If there are two vents on a single outlet then one vent can be closed as long as the other vent remains open etc (applicable to the 6E only).

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I'm not totally familiar with your system Gerry but two of your outlets are likely to have y-junctions added to give you a 5th and 6th vent.

Cheers,

Andrew
That makes sense. The 2 rear vents seem to come off the same heating pipe and I assume 2 of the 3 saloon vents are linked in a similar way.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That makes sense. The 2 rear vents seem to come off the same heating pipe and I assume 2 of the 3 saloon vents are linked in a similar way.

That sounds like a fair assumption. It may be worth having a dig around to see which vents share an outlet.

All the best,

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl maybe this is the reason why, which I couldn’t remember
I'm not doubting that you heard what he was saying correctly, but I wonder if it is right as there is nothing in the manual that says this at all and if it was an important issue surely it would be mentioned? We had a 6E in our Autocruise Accent (they fit a 4E now as the 6E is overkill for a campervan!) and it certainly didn't say anything about keeping all the vents open.

Has anyone got this in a manual/instruction book for a Truma 6 (or 6E) at all I wonder?

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
IF all of the vent pipes come from one fan/chamber then surely as long as there remains sufficient open it wouldn't matter which were open/closed

Trauma 6E operating instructions

"The openings for circulated air intake, the installation compartment and the space around the unit must be kept free of obstacles so that the unit does not overheat." is the only reference I can find and does nor specifically state all or some

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
but I wonder if it is right as there is nothing in the manual that says this at all and if it was an important issue surely it would be mentioned? We had a 6E in our Autocruise Accent (they fit a 4E now as the 6E is overkill for a campervan!) and it certainly didn't say anything about keeping all the vents open.

Has anyone got this in a manual/instruction book for a Truma 6 (or 6E) at all I wonder?

Come on guys, you can find the info from Truma if you look hard enough. I'll give you until 8 tonight to find the link. Competition Time:rolleyes:

I read all about it the other day when I was tinkering with my 6E ducting.

:xcool:

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The relevant info as written by Truma:

"To prevent heat accumulation, no warm air outlets or warm air ducts must be closed off on the Combi 6 (E).

With the Combi 4 (E) no more than one warm air outlet or warm air duct may be completely closed off. But it is always better to use all four warm air outlets. Individual outlets in the same pipe may be closed only if T/Y-pieces are used and the heat can be directed to another open warm air outlet".

:xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back