Rear end shunt !!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Glad you are both ok but whiplash Might show up in a day or two as it did with me so if you have any discomfort Best to go and see a doctor for a physio referral, had my crash in 2006 and it still plays up most days..

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Seems a bit strange to me that the lorry couldn’t stop in time,especially as you say he was a fair way back.
I wonder if he was on the phone?
Did you call the police,and was he breathalised?
They usually have very good brakes on those lorries.
If they admit liability, the answers to those questions may not matter,apart from getting to the truth,which is usually worthwhile.
Hope the repair or right off is sorted out quickly for you.
My thoughts too....
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Glad you are both ok but whiplash Might show up in a day or two as it did with me so if you have any discomfort Best to go and see a doctor for a physio referral, had my crash in 2006 and it still plays up most days..
Thanks @Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Glad your both ok I have to agree with the above it looks like a write off

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a bummer. The main thing is you are both unhurt. Wish your good lady happy birthday and hope rest of day goes better.

Hope you get insurance sorted quickly.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry to hear of your bad luck but as you said you walked away the rest can be replaced.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
So gutted for you .. I would not accept anything less than a right-off. There is no-way on earth the shell could be put right and remain solid and more importantly water-tight. It will never be the vehicle you purchased ever again.

At least you FUN Sticker is still smiling :D2

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Will do , So far my insurers have been very good , all ready organised for the assessor to attend next tuesday & they have asked their lawyers /solicitors to ring in a few days & then again a week later to see if we have any after effects from whiplash .
They required photo's etc of vehicle ( I sent 22 ) plus quite a bit of other info.
They said that they were sure there wouldn't be a problem because it was obvious whowas at fault , as I was stationary at the time , hopefully my dashcam (thanks toJaws) will give proof of what I have done , not that they want the proof .I hope my voiced expletives at the time don't offend anyone !!!

Sorry to hear about that and glad you are both ok.

You need to be really careful with how the insurers deal with your van. Don’t trust the insurers or their assessors. They will have self interest at heart rather than your best interests .

And please don’t be impressed that they have asked their lawyers to call you in a week or whatever. You choose your own lawyer.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
That's a terrible thing to happen. I would check your insurance policy to see if there is new for old cover just in case. Or, you might have a separate GAP policy somewhere.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I agree with others hopefully a write off , in view of damage and it would almost a rebuild of the hab area , and probably not something you would want in view of possible future problems with making watertight. Just to help it along inform the other party insurers that you will be holding them liable for all the costs of hiring a replacement equivalent motorhome continuously for the period you dont have your vehicle , and get a couple of quotes from a suitably expensive supplier as all costs are taken into ac when deciding on economics of repair . The whole purpose of insurance is that at the end of the day you should not be any worse off than prior to the claim.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
As others have the good thing is you are bot okay. It does look like a right off and I hope your insurers act reasonably. They should really as it was not you fault and they can recovery their costs from the other party.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Sorry to hear about this Fidget hopefully all will be replaced without any further problems as you and your wife have endured enough hassle and were lucky not to have been hurt ,the best of luck to you and I hope you find a new van quickly .

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Dreadful! Hope it all gets resolved as best it can - which, as others have said, may be for the insurers to write the van off.

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Just speaking as the partner of an ex-council worker, I hope the driver of the bin lorry was ok as they don't usually wear seatbelts.

Yes he & his two colleague's in the cab were ok , one I think hurt his thumb but otherwise they were ok.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Shocked to see so much damage. Hope all goes well with sorting it all out. Mike

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
So sorry to see this fidget, glad you are both OK but what a shame. Really feel for you both.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@FIDGET
After a similar accident, but with a caravan not m/h, can I offer the following advice?

If you are happy to have the vehicle written off and replaced so far so good but, if you want to keep it, ask for a guarantee from your insurer/repairer re water tightness post repair.

A distorted body can be very difficult to make watertight, even after panels have been replaced. A quick check with the m/h manufacturer to ask if their water ingress guarantee will still apply, following the accident and rebuild, would not be out of order. They may refuse to honour it in view of the damage.

Remember, none of this is your fault. There is no reason why you should lose out. Protect your own interests.

Good luck.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What a way to spend a birthday pleased you are all OK, certainly looks like a write off to me.
All the best with getting it sorted.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
As others have the good thing is you are bot okay. It does look like a right off and I hope your insurers act reasonably. They should really as it was not you fault and they can recovery their costs from the other party.

:eek: :( Sorry folks. My Dyslexia got the better of me when writing the above. Must try harder :smiley:.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I hope my voiced expletives at the time don't offend anyone !!!

Swearing, on Ann's birthday, whatever next. Really sad reading Terry apart from you both being unscathed that is.

Now, can I do anything? do you need to borrow a car, would you like me to come fetch you both, can I offer you Free-camping inc EHU, both Black and grey waste disposal and fresh water. PM me if I can do anything; give Ann our best. ( we owe it to our old folk to help them across roads and the like! )

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Awful news, I share the majority view that it looks bad enough to be written off, more so I hope it is for all the reasons given above

The comments about costs to source anew one are even more so given your home on the island and associated ferries, I hope you were able to get it home OK, even keeping it dry will a nightmare with heavy rain and strong wind, another tick in the write off boxes

hope it all gets sorted quickly and easily

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
The main thing is you are both unhurt. So sorry to hear about your van, though. The damage looks awful.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Terribly bad luck, so pleased no one was hurt, hope you can get a satisfactory resolve very soon.
You have many friends on MHFUN that will offer help & advice should you need it to get your best resolve & deserved outcome.,
Have another go at the 70th Birthday celebration very soon, its a big milestone, and one that should be fully celebrated.
Best wishes to you both.
TinaL & Les

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Awful news, I share the majority view that it looks bad enough to be written off, more so I hope it is for all the reasons given above

The comments about costs to source anew one are even more so given your home on the island and associated ferries, I hope you were able to get it home OK, even keeping it dry will a nightmare with heavy rain and strong wind, another tick in the write off boxes
hope it all gets sorted quickly and easily

Thanks David ,Yes I drove home later that day ,it's now parked on my drive , spent yesterday & today emptying everything out,(amazing how much I have accumulated & hauled around with me) I'm anticipating & hope it will be written off. Now just got to wait & see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back