Rear End Shunt , update!! (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Reasonably chuffed, motorhome a write off, offer from the insurance co , a fair offer. All sorted in under a month , can't fault Equity Red Star Insurance , so helpful , kept me informed every couple of days of what stage we were at . Now just got to wait for money to go in my bank then start looking for replacement .

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi gys
really sorry it happened but pleased the outcome is as you wanted and makes things less stressful

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm really chuffed that it worked well in your favour. The last thing you needed was a bodge job on your MoHo so an insurance payout is the best result.

"To new vans and new adventures".:xThumb:

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Good to hear of a satisfactory and fair insurance payout, plus a happy customer.
That’s the way it’s supposed to work but so often doesn’t.
New Year, new van and new excitements.
Well done!

Richard.
PS. Make sure you keep us updated on your choice. We are such nosey buggers. (y):xgrin:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Great to hear it has turned out OK.:xThumb:

Will definitely be interested in your choice of replacement.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Good outcome from a bad incident...

Pleased for you

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had a close call with our MH on the M56 earlier this evening, a sharp emergency stop with something big struggling to stop in time behind me. In the split seconds where I was making my brakes do the right thing I was (oddly) reminded of your situation and pumped them (even though they're ABS) to get the following driver's attention. The supreme irony was I was bringing it back from an inspection for a safety recall.

Glad it's worked out as well as it could for you, given that it was unfortunate in the first place.

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Glad to hear things are moving on, and with a result you are happy with. Best wishes to you both for the new year.
Jim and Diana @ marpool

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
ERS paid out in full and quickly when we had storm damage :) and an apology that it took 2 weeks because they had been so busy after the storm.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice one, good time to clear it up as well, going unresolved through Christmas could have added weeks

Enjoy the search for the replacement :)(y)

edit - out of nosiness and general interest were you able to add any money for the cost of travel to view new ones, given where you live that will not be cheap or convenient

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Glad it's turned out well for you. Exciting times ahead!

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
An excellent result and as already mentioned, keep us posted in what you purchase as a replacement.(y)

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Nice one, good time to clear it up as well, going unresolved through Christmas could have added weeks

Enjoy the search for the replacement :)(y)

edit - out of nosiness and general interest were you able to add any money for the cost of travel to view new ones, given where you live that will not be cheap or convenient

Hi David , no they wouldn't play ball on that one , but I still have too claim my excess back from the other Ins Co , also still under the doc re a bit of neck discomfort , got to have physio , so I will no doubt add or try to add the travel expense's in to them at the same time . Doubt if they will play ball but I will give it a try (legal expense ) were on the ins policy so I will let my solicitors sort it out.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David , no they wouldn't play ball on that one , but I still have too claim my excess back from the other Ins Co , also still under the doc re a bit of neck discomfort , got to have physio , so I will no doubt add or try to add the travel expense's in to them at the same time . Doubt if they will play ball but I will give it a try (legal expense ) were on the ins policy so I will let my solicitors sort it out.

That makes sense I guess, it is not your insurers who should pay, but I would seriously expect the third party insurers to cover that as completely reasonable

Best of luck with the neck as well (y)(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I thought that your insurance company claimed the whole lot off of the other company including excess ,expenses ,etc; ? Can't really see how they have managed to offload claiming on to the customer ? Who will be paying for your time & inconvenience ?
* I think the problem these days is that instead of working individually , as companies,they have come to an unspoken agreement how to conduct claims at the expense of the very people who they should be supporting.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Good outcome, well pleased for you. Happy hunting:xsmile:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Who were the brikers and did you have any dealings with them? At renewal time I always go for the cheapest theres no way of knowing how good they would be if there wee a claim but it would be good to have a list of companies that were good to deal with.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It pays to go with a quality insurer.

Glad you got it all sorted out

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I thought that your insurance company claimed the whole lot off of the other company including excess ,expenses ,etc; ? Can't really see how they have managed to offload claiming on to the customer ? Who will be paying for your time & inconvenience ?
* I think the problem these days is that instead of working individually , as companies,they have come to an unspoken agreement how to conduct claims at the expense of the very people who they should be supporting.

It is quite normal for the innocent party to have to claim their excess from the party at fault. I've had to do that and it was a right palaver as the other person was German. I did get the money.

If you leave it to the legal / claims solicitor (and a good idea to do so) remember that it can go on for a while. Keep a note of ALL your expenses and receipts and it is not personal even when it feels like it is..... it's a process you have to go through. Make sure you get copies of x-rays and doctors reports and a receipt for the copy charges. :)

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Who were the brikers and did you have any dealings with them? At renewal time I always go for the cheapest theres no way of knowing how good they would be if there wee a claim but it would be good to have a list of companies that were good to deal with.

Hi @The Wino
The Salvage company is HBC inthe midlands I think , no contact with them ,but they contacted me by text to say that they would arrange collection from me & piggie back it on a truck back to them in the near future at a agreed mutual time.
As to the cost of Insurance , they were one of the most reasonable at the time , through my brokers , Advance ins brokers & I will definetly use them next time .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you're putting in for a compensation claim for injury? No reason why you shouldn't and that you'll remove all your stuff from it before it gets taken away.

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I assume you're putting in for a compensation claim for injury? No reason why you shouldn't and that you'll remove all your stuff from it before it gets taken away.

Hi Mel ,
Yes Moho completely emptied , now gonna leave it in the hands of solicitor , & will chase them every couple of weeks till it's sorted.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Awful shame you had the misfortune to suffer such a horrible event, but pleased to hear it sounds as though your insurer is playing fair and has offered a reasonable settlement.

Hope you can find a suitable new van.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have you removed all the personal and removeable items like gas cylinders etc all you accessories need to be out of it when it goes or went.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back