Rear doors hitting back of van instead of stopper.... (1 Viewer)

Rusty Nuts

Free Member
Oct 5, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute T669 PVC
Exp
22 years caravanning, new to motorhoming......
Hi there,

I have a Autotrail tribute T669, when I put rear doors right around the window hits the back of van instead of The stop doing its job...

has anyone else had this issue?

is there a solution?

many thanks
Rusty

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I think it's a common "design feature". The door stop is part of the original van, being mounted to the corner post. It would sort of work OK (not sure about the eventual dent in the door itself) if it were a solid door of the original Panel Van. But the converters then fit a nice bulbous double glazed window that projects just a tad more than the original metalwork.

Only solution is a restraint strap of some form to stop the door opening more than 90 degrees.

OP
OP
Rusty Nuts

Rusty Nuts

Free Member
Oct 5, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute T669 PVC
Exp
I would accept the problem if the doors would not go past 90 degrees but as they do I need a solution, dealers have not heard of this......aye right!!

Rusty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Maybe you can affix a rubber bump stop to the doors so that when they swing fully open they compensate / counteract for the thickness of the windows ?

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Only solution is a restraint strap of some form to stop the door opening more than 90 degrees.

In our case the converter (Wildax) has fitted restraint straps. It looks like it would be an easy retro-fit option.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The rear doors on our Swift PVC open only to 90 degrees.

The windows still foul the rear end of the m/h if open. Fortunately, like you, we spotted the conflict before damage was done. There doesn’t seem to any way to prevent this so we make sure the windows are closed before opening the doors.

OP
OP
Rusty Nuts

Rusty Nuts

Free Member
Oct 5, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute T669 PVC
Exp
Had a look at other vans and they have a button you have to press to let the door right round, ours have not got a button so the doors just swing round with a bit of resistance at 90 degrees. not too keen if it’s a bit windy!

Rusty

Attachments

• 2C404F72-9DFC-4DDB-A066-155358B5E56E.png
    2C404F72-9DFC-4DDB-A066-155358B5E56E.png
    431 KB · Views: 163
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Had a look at other vans and they have a button you have to press to let the door right round, ours have not got a button so the doors just swing round with a bit of resistance at 90 degrees. not too keen if it’s a bit windy!

Rusty

Our Globecar Campscout has this ... I think in high winds it might blow past the 90 degreees though, always wary!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our Globecar Campscout has this ... I think in high winds it might blow past the 90 degreees though, always wary!

Sadly its just another one of FIAT's poor design's, they seem to build the Ducato to a that'll do standard & absolutely no more.
If you've ever owned a Sprinter PVC the problems with the Ducato become glaringly obvious.

Last edited:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
There's a couple of threads on the ASOF forum about 2019 PVCs having no restrictors fitted which has resulted in shattered glass windows :(

Jul 15, 2009
Bridgend south wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Had this issue with my 2019 compass avantgarde cv20 on a fiat base,contacted fiat customer care using there email address and raised the issue and they have arranged for my local fiat professional to retro fit the door button that stops the door going past 90 degrees unless pressed to release the door.
good result from Fiat

OP
OP
Rusty Nuts

Rusty Nuts

Free Member
Oct 5, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute T669 PVC
Exp
Had this issue with my 2019 compass avantgarde cv20 on a fiat base,contacted fiat customer care using there email address and raised the issue and they have arranged for my local fiat professional to retro fit the door button that stops the door going past 90 degrees unless pressed to release the door.
good result from Fiat
Ours is a 2019 as well, don’t know why they changed as I think 2018 had the buttons, maybe I should do the same!!
Thanks for that....?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Wonder how many people will pretend they are a gust of wind at the NEC? Looks like yet another thing that needs to be added to the check list of specification items on any new van purchase.

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
good result from Fiat
This appears to be the best solution. Presumably though, like ours the rear door trim will need to be drilled through to fit the button. It’d be good to view how they’ve done it once they’ve completed it.

Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all, we have a 4 month old Elddis CV40 on a Fiat base, it was subject to a recall as rear doors opened well past 190 degrees. First time out after collection the wind caused rear offside door to open onto rear panel and the bike rack inflicted a deep 4inch dent on it! Dealer was only “mildly” interested, Elddis were “surprised” and we were very very miffed. Quoted £425 inc Vat to repair it, immediately started potential claim via Consumer Act stating that vehicle was/is unfit for purpose as cannot risk using the factory fitted bike rack! I believe that we were amongst the first of many to bring this problem to the attention of Elddis (on the current range). The dealer claimed that customers find out about this kind of problem long before they do. Today we collected our beloved van from the dealers and they had repaired it under warranty, fitted an extra set of door restraints-THE REAR DOORS STILL OPEN TO 180 DEGREES! Over four months and the saga continues, also on returning from the dealers (round trip 70miles/3hours) we opened a letter from Elddis stating that a battery vent pipe should have been fitted on PDI and that it “might” be in packaging within the battery box-it was’t and Is’nt! So dealer was informed and again “mildly” interested “we need to order the warranty bits” so you will have to bring it in again. Elddis included copies of handbook amendment pages and details of how to fit a vent pipe complete with photos, this indicates acceptance of liability but again we are very miffed!
We will through perseverance, patience and humour soon be able to enjoy stress free motorhoming irregardless of over 6 major and more than 8 minor faults that have conspired to spoil our pleasure.

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
They did a superb job. They did it under warranty? I don’t understand this. It appears to be a problem throughout the later Ducato so it should be costing fiat a fortune. Not that we need to worry about it. I’m going to get in touch with our local dealer.

Jul 15, 2009
Bridgend south wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I contacted the fiat campervan site and brought it up with them and they contacted me and then my local fiat garage and authorised them to retrofit the stops

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Someone on the Spanish forums are asking the same question, but no one has given the answer where to get them, but posted a photo if anyone sees them anywhere. ? Bob.
Screenshot_20191022-211024_Facebook.jpg

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
This solution is good but my feeling is that, especially if a cycle rack with bikes on, the weight of the opening door being blown open could damage the door hinge mechanism. The buffer is so close to the axis point that the weight could pull the hinge with such a force that even a very strong hinge could be damaged.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
On our first trip in our brand new fan the wind caught the back door and the bike rack has cracked the light cluster.
it has the bump stops as shown above but do I have any recourse to the dealer?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Most rear doors open 90 degrees, some vans if you press a round door button they also open 180 degrees.
When the van becomes a camper there are other considerations.
It's very easy to 'walk' into a fitted rear bike rack as it sticks out when the door is opened.
I usually inform a person to only open doors to the 90 degree position if I fit a rear bike rack on a panel van conversion.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
There is no button on the inside of the door As there is a trim panel. Only the rubber bump stops but they don’t do anything as the rack touches the light cluster first.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
You should be able to slide the rails over slightly by adjusting the rack bolts to avoid the rails hitting the light.

Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, we are still having problems with our rear doors-dealers replaced door restrictions twice and finally after 6 months have the correct “heavy duty” restrictors in stock. Booked in on16 Jan for final fix! We hope! All done under warranty because our bike rack caused £445 of damage when it blew open. This was on the day after we took delivery in June this year, bike rack is currently stored in my shed!

Good luck with your problem, shout and scream if you have to as the manufacturers have known about this fault for some years effecting loads of vehicles!
regards

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Wild Brambles thinks you should put bumpers on the side of the van as door stops. In fact if you use vertical rubber rails, cyclists can hang on and save their legs,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back