Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
i have a wire rear camera that I was going to get fitted to my swift kontiki, but the auto electrician said it wasn't a good idea due to the insulation etc and that it would break the integrity of the insulation drilling holes.

Is this a fair comment or should I get someone else to do the job. I found the rear camera a great help in seeing what was behind me when i had an Iveco ELWB camper van.

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
I would get a better guy to do it !

In one sense he's correct, but its a bit extreme.
If you want a cable through the sidewall of the van, then you have to drill a hole.
There are super flexible non-hardening sealers to seal it up again.

I had one fitted when I bought mine, over 3 years ago and the sealant is still soft and hasnt let any water/moisture in yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
mines a wired system and has one hole in the body......just above the rear window and into an overhead locker and sealed with sikaflex.

i'd be looking for another installer 'cos it appears this one doesnt want/need the work.

sounds like he would have a coronary if you asked him to fit a through the roof aerial/manual roof mounted sat dish. :roflmto:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Thats what I thought. If the job is done and sealed properly then there should be no problem....Thanks guys

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back