quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi, I'm a newbie (only experience so far is a week's hire of a VW Cali in Spain recently). I'm now planning converting a Boxer or Ducato (medium/high roof) and considering double bunk beds across the rear, to avoid having folding beds in the living area. The internal width is max 1860mm so not really wide enough for tallest people but that may not matter. Searching the web for ideas shows that it's been done before (some examples here) and Autocampers even made a commercial model for a while. That's now discontinued, so presumably didn't sell well.
I would want a storage space under the lower bunk, min 400mm, for a bike. The top bunk would be only for children and have a smaller headroom.
The van will be used mostly by me as a single, with my bike, although my partner will accompany me sometimes. Also it will probably be used by my daughter / boyfriend/ young son(or two?).
So, two questions really...
1, can anyone see any potential problems with my bed idea that I haven't thought of?
2, is it crazy of me to attempt a self-build (I'll use pros for fitting windows and some other stuff but I'm OK with house plumbing, electrics etc) when I've so little experience of using a campervan?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi quilkin,

You haven't been ignored, this is the first time anyone has seen your posts. First posts with links in them have to be manually approved and I've only just got around to it. Sorry. You should get some answers now (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always wondered about having bunks where the top bunk would fold away when not in use a bit like they do on sleeper trains and some cruise ships. That would mean you could use the bottom bunk as a sofa if you wanted to.

What about being able to extend the bottom bunk to make a small double, that might take a bit more planning - possibly requiring a longitudinal bed?

Also I don't see any reason why you should not be able to do a self build. Several people have done so and will share their expertise I am sure.

Oh, and welcome to the fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Layout in a van is quite personal and most things / ideas can work. What you may be well advised to do would be to visit Motorhome Shows and see as many variations as possible on panel vans.
Decide if you want a social area and how many people you may want to sit around a table etc. In the distant past I would use the empty van as a blank canvas and draw on the floor the prime fitting space I was going to need. This included bed/s, toilet, table and seats.
At the very beginning of your build, plan for maximum insulation, future electrical needs including solar panel, even if you are not going to fit one (yet).
Consider the real advantages of being independent with light, water, heat and toilet.
As for transverse sleeping, before building the bed, test your own body (and the others) across the van, allowing for space lost with insulation and trim, to decide if this particular van is suitable and liveable with.
Whatever you do, have fun.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
"The internal width is max 1860mm so not really wide enough for tallest people but that may not matter" Dont forget you need to factor in insulation so not all 1860mm may be available . Might be better starting with a luton style or box rear. You also need to take account of axle loads when you distribute various equipment in the van .

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Pinterest is your friend.
Literally thousands of self builds to view, many with bunks at the back (y)

Darcar

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario
Exp
Since 1975
Hi quilkin.... have you seen motorhome fun’s sister fourm... the “diy motorhome forum”
It’s full of really helpful guys and girls who are all building their own motorhome camper vans. It’s free to join!
Darcar.

OP
OP
quilkin

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi quilkin.... have you seen motorhome fun’s sister fourm... the “diy motorhome forum”
It’s full of really helpful guys and girls who are all building their own motorhome camper vans. It’s free to join!
Darcar.
Thanks for that! I have joined up. Another forum to browse.... will I get time to actually start my van build when I'm reading all these forums? ;)

Elias

Free Member
Oct 11, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2016
As for the width we have our bed at the back of the van (it's a transit so a bit narrower than ducatos) I'm exactly 6 foot so I don't fit perfectly but it is comfortable, who sleeps completely straight anyway?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back