Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I saw some pictures of @DBK rear end !

It looks to me like a large capacity lightweight box fitted to a cycle rack. I also read he bought it secondhand.

I think we would benefit from a similar set up and wondered (a) Where would you buy such a setup (b) does it allow the doors to open.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
9592EC3B-B302-4B83-B501-24381ACD38DA.jpeg
Forgive me if I have broken a rule I’m not aware of for “borrowing” @DBK photo, not harm intended. But this is the kind of setup I’m looking for.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its a standard bike rack and standard cargo box ... yes it would allow the rear doors to open as the bike rack just attaches to the offside door. The bike rack has a capacity of 35kg max so once you take the weight of the box off I'm not sure how much real capacity would be left and speaking from personal experience I wouldn't like to have the full 35kg weight on the rack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe a tow ball mount swing-out bike rack could be used to mount a box (and would allow the rear doors to open)?

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
What about the door hinges while door open probably put a lot more stress on them

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I guess the towball arrangement adds 40/50 kgs whilst the combined weight of a bike rack and box might be 25.

I would like to store lightweight chairs and a few outside things.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
An added bonus is I could take the box off and use it as a bike rack.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Don't know if it would work with your van but we had a single fiamma box and swapped the rack to the nearside door, obviously not as much storage but we could still gain access through the rear door on our old A/S Symphony.

Pictures not brilliant as taken years ago but should give you the gist...

Pete

symphony2.JPG
symphony1.JPG

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
@DBK bought it from me a few years ago.
It's a Fiamma Ultra Box 500.
We used it for camping chairs, bodyboards, beach umbrella and a few other niknaks. Still plenty of space within.
Due to the large size, they are usually sold as 'collection only'. You can often pick up a bargain as the market for them is limited.
I did a four hour round trip to buy it secondhand, I believe @DBK did a similar journey to collect from me.
Beauty of it is that you don't lose any money. Prices are so low, you'll almost certainly get your money back come sale time (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No problem with photos of my rear! :) The model is actually a 700 and is probably on the limit in terms of width. It needed a bit of a bodge to get it to fit as far to the left as possible so the offside rear light cluster is not obscured. I can describe the bodge if you decide to get one like this.
And yes, rear doors still open. :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We now have had a similar set up as @DBK 's photo on our Ducato PVC. Just a warning,i open the door with the Box on very carefully,but on one occasion when it escaped my grasp,it touched the back corner and left a bit of a mark,this WILL polish out,but something to keep in mind when in use.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
@DBK thanks for offer of description of your bodge, I might yet ask for it. I have not so far found a 700 litre box, so possibly discontinued? Is it a Fiamma ?

Did you drill holes in your door ?

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry for so many questions but how do you open the rear door ? Can you climb underneath to reach the door handle ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry for so many questions but how do you open the rear door ? Can you climb underneath to reach the door handle ?
The Fiamma box sits on the bike rack which is fitted to the offside rear door. The rack needs four holes drilled in the door.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi @ymfb .
Ours was fitted at Elland prior to us picking it up,proper job. Now the opening of the door. The door has to be opened to get to the cassette toilet that is behind the other door,you could.....(n) "Limbo" your arm up behind the box...(Like to see you try).But we spring the door catch from from inside,and one of us on the outside opens it fully,this can be done by one person as long as the door does not set off on it own accord and go wide open.
BEWARE. When opening the door,the cycle rack struts are very visible,however when closing the door they can catch you if you are having a senior moment...Now where was i ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. It is a blessing in disguise,all sorts of things can be put in it,ours was bought to hold Two La fuma type chairs,40 ltr flattish waste water thingy for underneath (We have 100 litre waste tanks fitted).Wet gear,leccy cables. (And anything Jennifer says CANNOT GO(y)) Would not be without it,the only thing that stops you putting Everything in it is the weight being carried by the door,if we are just doodling about,we put the chairs inside,so we don't have the weight on the door,plus not having to open up,unstrap and interfere with whatevers in there. I think ours is the next size down from the one in the photo,when we ordered it,i placed the two chairs against the wall measured around them plus the waste thingy and gave Mark at Wildax the measurements,everything fits in a treat.
Get one bought!
Tea Bag

Reactions: DBK
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Slightly different idea from us.
Had a go with the Thule easy box 500 on the towbar but didn't like it.
Having a waterproof bag made at Bags and covers direct £76 delivered
again this will be on the towbar.
When the bespoke size bag arrives its having some lightweight plastic sides and base fitted to maintain its shape it'll be fastened to the rack via Thule buckle straps threaded through loops which are fastened to the bag.
It's only for a couple of chairs, camp kitchen etc so only lightweight things.

That's plan "B" hopefully when not in use it will all fold up to the approximate size of the base plastic.:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back