Rear Bike Racks and Spare Wheels?. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

I appreciate this is more a Tech issue, but I may get more feedback on "Chat".

Been wrestling with the conundrum of how (or if) to continue to carry a full spare wheel, and if so where?. Options, having rejected putting it back under the bed, because that is where my Chairs etc reside, and getting to it involves raising the bed, Include Fabricating a Rack to utilise the Tow Bracket, Or to utilise a Fiamma style Bike Rack fixed to the back wall, there being only a remote chance of me needing a cycle rack anyway. And I have rejected putting it underneath, Been there, done that, and had the dirty/muddy Tee Shirt.

So, 2 Bikes weigh in at about 32Kg. and Fiamma say their rear wall mounted racks can carry 60Kg. As the spare (alloy) was weighed and found to be just 25Kg, there would be a Reasonable payload.

The Bike racks bolt through the rear wall. requiring care and a knowledge of just where any framing is?. A Tow bar mount would apply about a 3rd of the Bar`s noseweight load (75Kg) and the Nose weight of the Toad "A" frame is negligible anyway, plus the van has Air on the rears.

So E- Bay, Has a couple of S/H racks which cost out at Circa £150-£200. Around half the cost of new.
Which devoid of the Cycle Rails would theoretically allow the wheel to be carried and strapped to the bare rack.?

Fabricating an extension to bolt to the Tow bar would likely be a more cost effective option, having the welding plant and skill`s. and would not affect the Bar structurally, in that the connection would be sandwiched between the Mount and tow ball.

So open season, Pro`s, cons, and reasons thereof?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Mine is underslung - I put it there and would not like to have to get it out but it has a remote fill arrangement a la front air bags.

I take the view that, unless on the drive at home, I would most likely get the Breakdown Contractor to do it (I would not do it on a motorway and probably would not have the right heavy duty tackle anyway) and they have the protective clothing. As it would require work (puncture repair or new tyre) soon after the problem I would not put the failed wheel back underneath until later anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I believe that Watling Engineering in Park Street near St Albans, will manufacture a spare wheel bracket to fit under most vans. There are of course others but I have dealt with this company and came out smiling.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Shoot me if i am off the mark here because i basically dont have a scooby, but ...............here goes............. is there any reason why the wheel cant be attatched to the back of motorhome like below ?

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Shoot me if i am off the mark here because i basically dont have a scooby, but ...............here goes............. is there any reason why the wheel cant be attatched to the back of motorhome like below ?

On a Landy the swing away carrier attaches to the steel edges of the rear tub, the steel crossmember and the back door. The carrier is designed to take the weight of the wheel off the door and thus save the hinges wearing out!
My double cab 110 has a swing away carrier but it is attached at three points - the top galvanized body capping, the crossmember and the otherside body capping. So no weight on the drop down flap. Don't think these would work for a MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back