Really really good blog from new member (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
In the "Introduce yourself" section a recent newbie @mlarb has just come on board.

She/they have a link to a blog. I was a tad suspicious (as you mostly know I am !) to start with, thinking this might be a way of getting more readers then dropping the bombshell of trying to get me to buy a timeshare in Magaluf or something similar of a nefarious nature but i thought i would give the blog a go.

I am seriously impressed. Impressed enough to bring it to the attention of you all in this part of the forum where it is likely to be viewed so much more than in the welcome section. great photos. Sections to view it via area or as a complete blog chronologically, and a sense of humour bringing a wry smile to yourself. I particularly like the fact they seem to tour exactly how we do so it is extremely useful for anyone wanting or thinking of touring the areas with photos of the aires and local views and scenery.

Have a gander, make your own mind up, be nice to new people, and in case youre wondering I havent asked for any commission ......................yet.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As usual with these things it's upside down, why do you have to work backwards, can't they be started from the beginning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
why do you have to work backwards

Mostly because blogs are designed to be "followed" and followers want to see the latest posts when they visit. The first page would never change which is also bad for SEO. It is a pain to catchup with a new blog, but once done, you want to see last post first. rather than wade though zillions of posts too get the latest content. (y)

mlarb

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker 2005
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Jim - I couldn't have put it better myself. In our defence, our blog is broken down into distinct sections based on areas visited, so theoretically any section can be readily accessed and hopefully read chronologically

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Jim - I couldn't have put it better myself. In our defence, our blog is broken down into distinct sections based on areas visited, so theoretically any section can be readily accessed and hopefully read chronologically
It's great as I've said before!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mostly because blogs are designed to be "followed" and followers want to see the latest posts when they visit. The first page would never change which is also bad for SEO. It is a pain to catchup with a new blog, but once done, you want to see last post first. rather than wade though zillions of posts too get the latest content. (y)
Not the same on here though, you get this to work the right way.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It doesn't work though does it, right I would quite like to read your blog , but where do you start , if I start where it is in the link I get a load of photos of where you are now, so go to the bottom , and you are just going backwards, how do you find the start, if it was the other way up , starting at the beginning you wouldn't have to wade through pages to find the start , and as on here you could have that it starts where you left off the time before, I am sure it can't be only me that just can't be bothered wadeing through loads of pages to find the beginning.
I am not knocking your blog as loads of them work like this but if you havnt started at the beginning it's just overwhelming.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No sorry , iv just had another look and waded through loads of photos and still can't find where you started.

mlarb

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker 2005
Exp
Since 2007
It doesn't work though does it, right I would quite like to read your blog , but where do you start , if I start where it is in the link I get a load of photos of where you are now, so go to the bottom , and you are just going backwards, how do you find the start, if it was the other way up , starting at the beginning you wouldn't have to wade through pages to find the start , and as on here you could have that it starts where you left off the time before, I am sure it can't be only me that just can't be bothered wadeing through loads of pages to find the beginning.
I am not knocking your blog as loads of them work like this but if you havnt started at the beginning it's just overwhelming.

Hi Chaser - to be fair, you make a very valid point. Up until now, with followers regularly just reading the latest updates, this wasn't an issue.

I have tried navigating and can see the difficulty in getting to the beginning of a particular tour. I'll now begin researching whether there may be a way around this, perhaps by changing the Wordpress "Theme".

Thanks for you feedback, as I would really like to get this right and make it readily accessible to all.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Chaser - to be fair, you make a very valid point. Up until now, with followers regularly just reading the latest updates, this wasn't an issue.

I have tried navigating and can see the difficulty in getting to the beginning of a particular tour. I'll now begin researching whether there may be a way around this, perhaps by changing the Wordpress "Theme".

Thanks for you feedback, as I would really like to get this right and make it readily accessible to all.
I really am not complaining for the sake of it, I have found this with loads of blogs that crop up on here, even if you do try to get to the beginning you have to wade through newer stuff to get to it , so you have already had to read newer stuff to find the older stuff, if you get my meaning .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I've found the beginning of the current tour - started on 20 March. :)
Just a suggestion, and it will mean more work, but inserting the photographs where appropriate in the text, and ideally referring to each picture "the photograph(s) below shows..." will make it easier to understand what readers are seeing. By putting them all at the end of each post I suspect after a while you will have forgotten what they show. And as already suggested, if you cut the number down to say around 6 of your best pictures for each post it might have more impact. :)
However, the experience of many on here is while a blog is great for friends and family if you want to interact with the folk on this forum you need to post directly on the forum. You will see several "trip reports" usually running at any given time here on MHF.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a suggestion, and it will mean more work, but inserting the photographs where appropriate in the text, and ideally referring to each picture "the photograph(s) below shows..." will make it easier to understand what readers are seeing. By putting them all at the end of each post I suspect after a while you will have forgotten what they show. And as already suggested, if you cut the number down to say around 6 of your best pictures for each post it might have more impact. :)
However, the experience of many on here is while a blog is great for friends and family if you want to interact with the folk on this forum you need to post directly on the forum. You will see several "trip reports" usually running at any given time here on MHF.
And they then do go the right way, you start at the beginning and when you go back to it , it starts from where you left off, simples:)

mlarb

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker 2005
Exp
Since 2007
I really am not complaining for the sake of it, I have found this with loads of blogs that crop up on here, even if you do try to get to the beginning you have to wade through newer stuff to get to it , so you have already had to read newer stuff to find the older stuff, if you get my meaning .

As a temporary workaround, if you go to the first blog we posted for Spain, then you can progress day by day in chronological order by pressing the "Next" button. The first day in Spain is https://mlarb.com/2017/04/07/spain-day-1/ . The first day of the trip starting from St Malo is at https://mlarb.com/2017/03/20/day-1-towards-spain-1/ . Your comments are actually really helpful and mean I'm slowly getting my head around how best to present the blogs

mlarb

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker 2005
Exp
Since 2007

Great - that's helpful John, thanks. Do I simply start a new thread and keep on adding to that?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Love the garage photo from the 2015 03 Gironde, languedoc, Loire section :LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Great - that's helpful John, thanks. Do I simply start a new thread and keep on adding to that?
That's a good idea, as I always follow these sort of threads, but never ever followed a blog, and as @GeriatricWanderer said, less would be more in the photo department (y):)
That's not knocking your individual blog for your own friends use, must have been a lot of work.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back