May 8, 2015
Hurworth on Tees, Darlington
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982

1. J&S
    Where is a good place to start.? Have never camped on my own before. Feel like i need to be with others to get in the swing of things.
    Lost my reason for life when she passed away earlier this year. Sorry folks but I just dont know where to start... please give me some pointers.. or offers to include me in your lives... things a still very raw for me but i just know i need to find a new reason to live...

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019

1. J&S
    Where is a good place to start.? Have never camped on my own before. Feel like i need to be with others to get in the swing of things.
    Lost my reason for life when she passed away earlier this year. Sorry folks but I just dont know where to start... please give me some pointers.. or offers to include me in your lives... things a still very raw for me but i just know i need to find a new reason to live...
Good for you..you are trying and that's what matters..so sorry to learn of your loss

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's a sad post:(

Do you have children? If so there is a first good reason to live(y)

You will be fine camping solo. Get out there and get the sun on your face. Go to a few meets. There are a lot of others on here in your position.

Your turn will come soon enough so you need to enjoy the rest of your life.

Good luck and best wishes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Firstly, welcome to the group - it's a good step forward.
I am very sorry for your loss and feel your pain.
It's very early days for you but things can only get easier.
Can I suggest you look at the rallies section here and see if there is any you would like to attend. They are a really welcoming and friendly lot on here and, if you feel up to it, you will be included on all the activities and meet lots of lovely people.
Here is a link to the section just in case you haven't found your way around this site yet.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/scheduled-rallies.272/

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. Please be assured you will not be alone if you join a Funsterā€™s rally. I was widowed just over two years ago and I never camped alone before I joined fun and on a rally. Iā€™m not alone at rallies and you wonā€™t be either.

My advice is continue to reach out to other Funster members and youā€™ll be pleasantly surprised at the support you will receive.

Best wishes.
Muriel

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Have a look at the rallies section and get yourself on some of those, plenty of soloā€™s on them...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
:WelcomeFlag:

There are others on this forum who have been where you are.
Why not come to the thetford forest meet that jaws is having weekend after next. Only Ā£10 per person for the whole rally not Ā£10 per night.
Loads of room and a fish supper on friday and a sunday dinner as well.
You can camp Wednesday to wednesdsy.
Bite the bullet and come and join us

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I am very sorry for your loss.

There are quite a few of us on here who are solo for various reasons.

When my husband passed away 18 months ago I was determined to carry on using the motorhome as it was such an enjoyable part of our lives and we've met some fantastic people. Personally, I've found the support and help from funsters helped me cope where I didn't think I could.

As others have already said, have a look at the rally section and get to a few meets. Everyone is welcome.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

1. J&S
Oh bless you. My condolences on your loss and my admiration on your bravery shown in this post. Do you have any hobbies, because posting about them, on here, may help you find fellow enthusiasts which will give you common ground where you could maybe meet up with like minded people on a CL or something. Good luck.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My mum passed away just over two years ago now and like you my dad was devastated and lost, he just didn't know what to do as they'd been together for over 55 years. Two years on he still misses my mum everyday and still talks about her everyday but he's realised he can still be happy.

He's quite a social person which does help, he also went on holiday on his own for the first time in his life. The first attempted ended on him coming back after 4 nights as he couldn't manage, two years on he's been away on holiday about 5 times with no issues. When my daughter is at uni in Edinburgh he visits her once a fortnight and they go out for dinner and a few drinks, he's now loved by all her uni friends :). Even with everything he does he still struggles in the house at night on his own even though mum would moan at him all night.

It will be hard and it will still be raw but only one person can change that, get yourself away in the van or along to a rally and I'm sure after a few attempts it will get easier.

I'm sure your wife would want you to be happy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As mentioned above, a few events coming up where you can get the chance to join us at rally's. There are many solo campers within fun and all are made more than welcome.
This weekend is the bring and buy meet and I am sure there are places.
Thetford "jaws" bash the week after definitely has spaces, then middle June is the Stratford show. A great weeks camping and social event.

Bite the bullet, come join us and I am sure once you have attended one or two events you will soon get the hang of it.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
So very sorry for your loss .... I hope time will help you to find your way.

Lots of funsters on rallies, as it has been said before, will support, help, and comfort you. If you can't find the rallies section, come back here and ask.
Very brave of you to try and carry on. Anytime you'll need words of comfort you will find them with your new family! Funsters are a great bunch!!!

Amicalement
Frankie

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
We recently (3 years) lost my father , and my mother still sees it as
very raw, having been together nearly 7 decades . It is quite a natural inclination to feel isolated and to try and reinforce that by your own actions. You need to force yourself to make new contacts , as its interaction with others that will give you chance to re evaluate the joy you can get from living , even tho it has been severely challenged by loss of your soulmate. Later on in life there are many that end up in this situation so appreciate the trauma and how to recover in some degree from it . You will meet others at rallies etc who will happily hold out support to you , they are a very gregarious and open bunch on here , so chin up and try to go forward.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Very sorry to hear that your beloved wife has died. You must be feeling lost without her. As others have said, the rallies would be the best way to meet other motorhomers. The most difficult part is taking that first step. Your imagination can wreak havoc on your confidence. Don't let it! Just bite the bullet and make arrangements to go.

Another thought is, are there any members in the Darlington area? Perhaps someone could arrange a mini-meet at a local campsite? Come on guys, a fellow funster needs your help.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello sunshine ... nothing I can say that hasn't been said above ... but please know that there are many caring people on here who want to make everything easier for you.

You are NOT alone ... there are many Funsters who will welcome you into their group .. as said .. try to come to a rally or meet closer to you and introduce yourself ..Don't stay alone .. let us know you want to mix. You don't need to stay the full meet if you are overwhelmed, but you will have taken a step on starting to mix again and to even smile along with others who are in the same boat.

It IS early days and there are so many memories that will be going round in your head. At the moment they may make you sad but the day will come when those same memories will make you smile at the loving, happy, shared moments with your good lady. Keep posting on here even if you feel unable to take that step of meeting us all .. keep talking to us .. and keep growing in strength each day.

Sending you a hug for strength .. remember, all things pass and that includes the isolation you may feel at times.

Joy

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
@J&S .... I was in the same place a few months ago. So I can relate closely to your situation and feelings.
Take it one small step at a time my friend. The first one you just took by posting on here.
This group of Funsters have big hearts and are always around to help.
The next rally is at Thetford, find the thread under Scheduled Rallies and get your name down, it's only a tenner for 4 days of madness .... I mean fun :)
Believe me, being around other like minded people is the best thing you can do right now. Being alone is heart breaking ... been there.
There plenty of single motorhomers on here that go to the rallies.
Stay strong!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.
My partner died in a RTA in 2007 and those first months were a living hell. It does get easier in time.
There's something called a "6 month low" ( it's a flexible timescale) after a loss when you sink into the pit and think you won't get out. I hit this at 9 months and it was support from newly made friends who'd also been bereaved that got me through.
There's a book by Kate Boydell -- I'll edit in a link--- and I think you might find it really helpful.
Everything you're feeling is normal. For now it's one breath at a time, take things slowly and try to " think in the present". Kate's book Amazon product ASIN 0091902576You have your motorhome and you've enjoyed motorhoming in the past.
Funsters are out and about all over the place and I'm sure it'd be easy to meet up with some. There are organised meets and you'll be made very welcome.
I did get back to owning a motorhome and a few years in ended up living in it for 2 years. On my own with 2 cats and 2 dogs, it could have been awful, but it was a great 2 years and I had loads of help and advice from Funsters.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
What a great bunch you Funster lot are!!!
We havenā€™t been to any rallies yet,because Im a miserable,unsociable,boring,tight fisted old git.......but hey! @J&S,thatā€™s the thing to do.......you are guaranteed to meet nice folk.:):):):):)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
So sorry for your loss, it must be hell trying to start over. Can't really add to the advice others have given but when my B I L died his widow decided that if she was asked to do something, go somewhere or join something she would, whether or not she was interested, or feeling like going. She now has a busy social life. She did say the first step was the hardest.
Also hope someone in your area will arrange to meet up with you we are an inclusive lot who are also able to give space when it is needed

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It may seem an odd thing to say @J&S and perhaps unhelpful, but consider if it was you who had passed away your dear wife would be equally alone, grief-stricken and anxious for her future. You have the great comfort of having been able to support and care for her to the end.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Go to Toledos meet stop of on the way down sumware
thers sums great pub stopovers start slow and work up to doing what ever you feal like
Take care we're all hear for you
Bill

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Hurworth on Tees, Darlington
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
Wow... what a flood of responce. Thank you so very much everyone.
Got in my m/h for the first time since she passed to today and just sat there and cried.
I tested every thing out since it had not been touched since the bad cold winter we all had up here and to my great joy everything still worked. So apart from the dreaded task of removing her things and then re-stocking Im ready to roll..
It will need to be after i have sorted out the banks and insurance company ect ect.
I will meet up with you guys just as soon as im clear of all the red tape.
Thank you guys for the WOW of a responce i can now see a dim light in the dark distance.
My wife would be so pleased and happy to know there are still so many nice pepole in this world...

Thank you. John near Darlington

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Only just read this thread realising anyone of us could be in this position.
J&S had just posted a response as I got to the end.
That response is exactly what I hoped it would be. Thankyou @J&S youve made my day (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back