realistic, unrealistic or not pushy enough? (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agreed if its something straightforward. The time the dealers suck out of you just travelling and waiting is generally not worth the hassle.

Paul haganap could your engine light just be some poor quality diesel? our Arto used to do that regularly on Spanish diesel especially on the cheap bunker sites.
I think the engine limp mode and light is often do with the turbo boost or EGR valve when the IVECO part has been stood a long time or not used much, K and D had a similar problem and the garage inGermany told them motorhomes and horseboxes that don't get used enough are the issue.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Being a motor dealer doesn't mean they know the ins/outs of a MH, a lot of MH dealers haven't a clue! The difficulty IMV is as I first stated that you have fixed the issues without asking them to agree to pay for the parts/work beforehand or giving them the opportunity to fix them themselves. How do you 'prove' that they existed in the first place? I'm not doubting they did but other people may try it on with them.

I'm not sure that the CRA 2015 will help because you didn't contact them first, but hopefully they will agree to give you compensation and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I did actually message them regarding the faults and make them aware. I didn't ask them to rectify them, I just made them aware. The agreement when I purchased was that I would get it serviced at my local garage and any problems that arose I would let them know. When I got it serviced, my local mechanic said it's in really good shape so as agreed I messaged the dealer to tell them so but added I had had to fix the solar and the skylight. I didn't really mind too much about these items until I had the water issue as well and then the engine light fault and the indicator fault (which they knew about when I drove off). I think their lack of experience in dealing with Motorhomes was a factor. So they were aware, they just didn't know what to do as I never requested any compensation until yesterday.

The engine warranty I think pays £50 per hour labour charges, as said, I will be picking up the bill here too. But my experience with engine warranties is that they are crap and i fully expected that. But if it pays anything to the repair I will be happy. But reading my legal rights, I "could" insist the garage rectify this.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Not all motorhome dealers are dodgy, MDG from whom i bought my 16 year old hymer have honored the 6 month guarantee they said they would give me, I've had several habitation warranty issues which really are to be expected on a older motorhome but they've fixed them all, and the one engine related issue (a split fan belt) they said take it into the nearest Mercedes commercial workshop, get them to ring us and we'll pay them direct. I would say do your homework on the dealer if you're not buying privately.
I did do. That's why I went ahead with them. Their reviews on Google etc are excellent. more so their reviews on sorting things when they go wrong are even better.

one of many.

Excellent Quality Prestige Car Dealership

So i purchased a 911 over the phone without seeing the vehicle, brave or stupid?

The dealings with Rory & Jon were superb, from agreeing the price to them delivering my new car in a trailer nearly as big as my house :)

However, the true mark of any business is how they deal with things when they go wrong!!

After a couple of days, I found a number of issues with the car, from a misfire to a failing battery (the car had always been garaged prior to me getting it, and it was the weekend we had snow when i got it).

This is when they stepped up, getting the car back asap, giving me an update on everything that was happening, and replacing the parts from Porsche.

A wash and test and I was able to get the car back quickly.

Very happy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Morning Paul haganap, firstly I hope you and Nicky haganap had a lovely time in Portugal (my troubles aside). As you know I am new to this world of motorhoming but have had quite a few issues with our Arto (that the dealer fixed without much trouble). I would say that you are not being unreasonable in asking them to contribute towards costs etc. Hope you get sorted!! 🚐

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Morning Paul haganap, firstly I hope you and Nicky haganap had a lovely time in Portugal (my troubles aside). As you know I am new to this world of motorhoming but have had quite a few issues with our Arto (that the dealer fixed without much trouble). I would say that you are not being unreasonable in asking them to contribute towards costs etc. Hope you get sorted!! 🚐
Not my troubles 🤣🤣...mh troubles!!

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Sounds like you will have a great van for £1000 more than the bargain price you paid. I would be delighted.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just a point on the limp mode problem as I had the same trouble a month before we were due to leave for Norway three years ago. Very long story and several garages but after a the best part of a £1000 replacing the fifth injector and other bits it still wasn't fixed and ended up going to the main Peugeot dealer 50 miles away. £16 for a faulty relay and it was back on the road. Even an auto electrician my garage called out to check didn't spot that. It may well have needed the original fixes but best if they check the simple things first Paul.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The repairs you’ve done yourself you at least know are done to a good standard, not always done properly by a dealer. Worth trying for a contribution for the parts, but you’ve now got a van you love.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think the engine limp mode and light is often do with the turbo boost or EGR valve when the IVECO part has been stood a long time or not used much, K and D had a similar problem and the garage inGermany told them motorhomes and horseboxes that don't get used enough are the issue.
That only tends to reduce the top speed - we had one with 'sleepy van syndrome' as the previous owner hadn't used it much so it stood around for months on end thus he could only get 60mph out of it max (which he thought was normal!) it was simply a sticking turbo waste gate valve and once freed (£25 for the garage to do which the seller paid for) it flew.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
The fault code that has been identified is definitely boost related.
It has had a new turbo fitted by iveco 8k miles ago which is 3 plus years... so not moved much....

Whatever it is it will get fixed. Eventually...

Luckily the water leak wasn't as I expected Martin so after investigation it was just the pump.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It has had a new turbo fitted by iveco 8k miles ago which is 3 plus years... so not moved much....

Luckily the water leak wasn't as I expected Martin so after investigation it was just the pump.
Sticking waste gate actuator possibly, good job on the pump.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Possibly egr valve, turbo or a leak from a turbo pipe.

If the turbo has been changed I’d be looking at the pipes first.

Do or get a test done on the the pipes.
You can disconnect them, put bings in and pressurise the system.

Use soapy water and your ears to find leaks 😊

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am merely asking that when they ring is my request for parts a reasonable one or not?
Perfectly reasonable. & in there shoes i'd snap your hand off.
should I pursue my time etc etc.
No.
don't want to put them off and demand more than I think I am entitled to.
If they start umming & aahing then mention that under the 2015 act you'd be entitled to add in the cost of your labour to the parts fitted, etc.
if my garage is correct to be about £300 to fix plus a diagnostic fee of £90. The Warranty cover will support the repair but not the diagnostic fee.
Then that makes it £400 for the garage bill?;););)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Perfectly reasonable. & in there shoes i'd snap your hand off.

No.

If they start umming & aahing then mention that under the 2015 act you'd be entitled to add in the cost of your labour to the parts fitted, etc.

Then that makes it £400 for the garage bill?;););)
no the garage bill will be covered, except for the diagnostic bit. cheers

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I have no problem rectifying the issues myself and have done so. I just thought they should or could at least pay the parts cost and we could reasonably sort it out. I actually have enjoyed fixing the issues but thought there must be some comeback on their part as they are a motor trader after all. Hopefully they will be men of their word and the excellent feedback they have might be that they do as I ask and avoid the need for the above.
Did you inform them at the time you found the other issues? If not and you chose to do the repairs yourself I can’t see how they are responsible. Surely you have to give them the chance to do the repairs first.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
no harm in asking nicely anything you get will be a result good luck

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Did you inform them at the time you found the other issues? If not and you chose to do the repairs yourself I can’t see how they are responsible. Surely you have to give them the chance to do the repairs first.
I kept them informed throughout. The issue is they are a 5 hour drive from me and know nothing about motorhomes. They would never have resolved the issues as cheaply as I have repaired them and they know this.
Today, they have offered to pay me for the water pump. Only however, as they thought it was the water pump in the engine and unaware there was one in the van . it's a start.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
*****UPDATE*****

So I had a message from one of the owners yesterday, lets call him" the young one" inexperienced who doesn't know what a water pump is in a motorhome and was shocked that water got from a tank to the taps without just magically flowing through.

It was the final straw as he seemed oblivious to all the other messages that I had sent him. (it's a what's app communication as that's how they work) so I took the opportunity to draft an email including commenting on the Consumer act and also stating that I had chosen the company because of their excellent google reviews and obviously hoped we could sort the issue out amicably as I didn't want to leave my own review and indeed certainly didn't want to progress the matter to the next stage without being absolutely sure I had tried everything to resolve the matter.

Tonight had a message from the older one. Here is their response.

Evening Paul,

We will honour the parts that you have listed and appreciate your patience with us.

If you could kindly send through all invoices we will pay you tomorrow 11 November.

Once again thank you for being patient.

Regards

So no shouting, No threatening to knock down doors, just some polite authoritive persistence. In essence, many may think that they have got off very lightly due to the amount of work time and effort I have put in, and of course that I have yet had the van completely repaired for the engine issue. However the warranty people have agreed to meet nearly all of this cost although worse case scenario I could be in to it for a couple hundred quid when the difference between what they pay and what they charge for the labour rate comes in.

But, it's still a cracking van purchased at a really good price and well below what a true motorhome dealer would have been selling it for. In fact there is two practically identical for over 18k more than what I paid.

I'm happy as I got to play around with it and fix things and lets be honest, that's part the joys of owing a motorhome, they paid me for the parts to do so and I could do it at my own leisure and not have to send it on a million mile trip to get it sorted.

The van's a dream (maybe a nightmare) and really an awesome bit of kit.
Next improvements are
Interior wrapping of some cupboards
Reupholstering the inside
Full air on the front to match the air on the back
New stereo

and then keep using it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries