Free Member
Nov 6, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're looking at getting a Hymer MLT 580 with a MTPLM of 3880. My husband will be 68 next year, has anyone had any issues with the DVLA medicals? Thank you.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you are fit and healthy with good eye sight it won't be a problem,,I used a doctor who advertised locally to do my medical.£40 and he filled all the forms in for me,,i just had to sign them..I think a lot of the delays are caused by mistakes on the forms,,BUSBY,,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're looking at getting a Hymer MLT 580 with a MTPLM of 3880. My husband will be 68 next year, has anyone had any issues with the DVLA medicals? Thank you.
Not that I'm near that age but it might be worth your hubby having a chat with his doctor before committing to purchasing the vehicle just to be safe!

Personally I would be wary of committing to such a large purchase when I know that I'll 'hit' a big milestone (driving wise!) that may prevent me from using it in the future UNLESS it could be down plated to 3500 if needs be and still usable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just found some info about it, assuming it's this age/model:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30320-hymer-ml-t-580

If so at 3500kg it's allegedly got 530kg of payload (less any extra kit which has been fitted) which is more than sufficient for most people so downplating if necessary wouldn't appear to be an issue.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I wrote to DVLA medical unit to check months before my renewal was due, that my eyes were up to standard. I sent them details of my prescription for glasses. I go to the optician every year anyway so I had been to the optician first and they confirmed I was up to required standard, which is different to that required by new and professional driver applicants. DVLA Medical Unit confirmed that if things remained the same I would have no problem renewing. You have to use the paper route as the online method will remove the C1 category from your new licence and you will be limited to 3.500 max.

I took the form to the optician first before going to the doctor for the medical. I had no problems renewing at 70.
However my doctor retired, he knew me well, and a new doctor was in place at 73. He wrote on the form he THOUGHT he heard a heart murmur. This has since been proved incorrect by Echo scan and unrelated ECGs after an appendix problem.

I put my application in in April. Licence due in May. I received a form back in June requesting the same info from the doctor and optician that was submitted in April (no further tests, just a paper exercise). I contacted them in October after hearing nothing further and was told in writing "I can confirm that the information we have received is with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed. I appreciate you have already been waiting some time and assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can."

I am still waiting!

Keep photocopies of all submitted documents. I always send everything to them recorded/tracked delivery and communicate by email otherwise, as that creates a paper (audit) trail to follow if they mess up, which is not uncommon.

You can go to any doctor for the medical, but this can cause delays as DVLA still have to then contact your own doctor to confirm medical conditions and medicine prescribed. My doctor charged £130 some of the travelling doctors who do HGV drivers charge about £50.

While waiting I can still drive in this country, see below for the conditions and the position for driving abroad without having a current licence..
There is a provision in the law, under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, which could allow you to continue driving while your licence is being renewed, as long as you are able to satisfy all of the following criteria:
• DVLA is in receipt of a valid application, which is less than 1 year old
• you’ve held a GB/EU driving licence previously
• you’re not currently revoked/refused for medical reasons
• you’re not currently disqualified by a court
• you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1st June 2013
• you drive under the conditions of the licence applied for (e.g. provisional categories/entitlements, where a provisional licence was held)
• you would not be refused a licence for medical reasons

You can check the current medical standards of fitness to drive in our ‘
Link Removed guide for medical practitioners. Your GP or consultant will be able to help you if necessary.

Please note: When driving outside the UK, Section 88 may not be accepted. Before you travel, check with the country’s Licensing Authority for advice on driving there.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Received my new licence within 10 days of submitting application and i didn't use my own doctor,,must have been lucky,,BUSBY.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
@John & Joan , interesting post thank you, but for some reason the link towards the bottom of your post doesn't seem to work, am getting a forum error message for some reason, :confused: so hope you don't mind that i've put a direct link to the 'assessing fitness to drive, medical practitioners guide below..

Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry havnt read all the links, but I will be 70 in march, what is the procedure, do they send out details or do I have to start it, or what.
Thanks

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Sorry havnt read all the links, but I will be 70 in march, what is the procedure, do they send out details or do I have to start it, or what.
Thanks
You have to go on line and ask for the appropriate application pack if you wish to retain your full licence,,,BUSBY.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You have to go on line and ask for the appropriate application pack if you wish to retain your full licence,,,BUSBY.
Cheers , thanks for that, if I don't do anything do they just send out a new reduced licence, or do I still have to do something, I am not really worried about over 3.5 ton, but does it affect a full m/ cycle licence.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Chaser You will need to return the form they send you about 45 days before your licence is due for renewal or you can go inline and renew that way. Self declaration so no medical required. Then every 3 years you have to renew. Keep a photocopy of your licence to compare with the one they send to you to make sure they have done the job properly.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Cheers , thanks for that, if I don't do anything do they just send out a new reduced licence, or do I still have to do something, I am not really worried about over 3.5 ton, but does it affect a full m/ cycle licence.

Not sure on that,,BUSBY,,

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If the worst happens,you will have had it two super years,most of the depreciation will have happened so you can sell on/part ex.
The only trouble i can forsee is if you take it into an...."Unscrupulous..?" dealer,who having seen this situation before,may take advantage. Example,we were at a well known m/h dealer looking around at medium sized m/h's,and a chap came up and got into conversation,saying."Be carefull buying small,it can be a struggle if room is on the tight side,i have a bigger model for sale".
We thanked him but medium was big enough for what we wanted, a salesman came across to see what we wanted told him medium size m/h,he then asked what the chap was chatting about,told him and he said. "Sadly,he cannot pass the medical anymore,so cannot drive the one he has got,so he really is in a bad negotiating position,thats why he approached you"
Minxy Girl and Downplating seems a good idea,that way you win/win. Us?. PVC 3.5t,sorted.
Tea Bag. O'er 'til member

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Received my new licence within 10 days of submitting application and i didn't use my own doctor,,must have been lucky,,BUSBY.

I'm still waiting after my licence was revoked for medical reasons. I fainted (twice in six months) we know why (and it won't happen again) but it is automatic six month revocation. The DVLA say they take new evidence into account but YOU DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY GET YOUR LICENCE BACK AFTER THE SIX MONTHS CLEAR. I've now been waiting since May, haven't driven the new motorhome yet :(

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was in exactly the same position and actually bought that model, I took it to the the weighbridge to get it weighed and in the end got a ticket for 3520kg, that is little water full fuel two people and some food stuff so I could theoretically use it at the weight given, however at the moment it is 3860 kgs gross so it allows ms me a towbar spare wheel, loads of food and clothing and spare can of fuel solar panel? and odd and sods. IF I get to 70 in two years time then I might have to drop the weight down and pay more road tax. I would then run it overweight a bit keeping within the reasonable area of overweight and use a trailer for the heavier items. There are very few decent vans that actually run a decent amount below the 3500 limit so it is how it will be. No doubt I will soon be hearing from the OHHH! UMMMM! I'm telling teacher brigade, as to how bad I am going to be but Bo====ocks to them.
I might try getting a medical but the GP I am with says no I will not as HE does not think I should be able to drive one over age 70 regardless of the weight, Doctors on wheels looks good but DVLC are going back to the practice to check records.
There is one good feature in that model has gone up £13000 with all the extras on it, and I might not lose too badly if I sell and give up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I might try getting a medical but the GP I am with says no I will not as HE does not think I should be able to drive one over age 70 regardless of the weight, Doctors on wheels looks good but DVLC are going back to the practice to check records

You don't have to go to your usual GP at the practice - any of the partners can do the form and they have access to your records.

What reason does your usual GP give for his opinion? If you can drive it safely at 69 years and 364 days then why not at 70?

EDIT: The doctor has to go by the guidelines and can't say "no" without a valid reason. The DVLA are a law unto themselves of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Amber3

Free Member
Nov 6, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all so much for your replies, I'm just getting a coffee and will sit down and go through them :)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My surgery runs a free health check for over 65's. So at 68, I had one which didn't raise any medical problems. This gave me confidence in buying a +3500Kg van. I've now reached 70 and didn't have any problems passing the DVLA medical.

Obviously, the health check didn't cover the vision aspect so this would be best checked out at an optician.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I wrote to DVLA medical unit to check months before my renewal was due, that my eyes were up to standard. I sent them details of my prescription for glasses. I go to the optician every year anyway so I had been to the optician first and they confirmed I was up to required standard, which is different to that required by new and professional driver applicants. DVLA Medical Unit confirmed that if things remained the same I would have no problem renewing. You have to use the paper route as the online method will remove the C1 category from your new licence and you will be limited to 3.500 max.

I took the form to the optician first before going to the doctor for the medical. I had no problems renewing at 70.
However my doctor retired, he knew me well, and a new doctor was in place at 73. He wrote on the form he THOUGHT he heard a heart murmur. This has since been proved incorrect by Echo scan and unrelated ECGs after an appendix problem.

I put my application in in April. Licence due in May. I received a form back in June requesting the same info from the doctor and optician that was submitted in April (no further tests, just a paper exercise). I contacted them in October after hearing nothing further and was told in writing "I can confirm that the information we have received is with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed. I appreciate you have already been waiting some time and assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can."

I am still waiting!

Keep photocopies of all submitted documents. I always send everything to them recorded/tracked delivery and communicate by email otherwise, as that creates a paper (audit) trail to follow if they mess up, which is not uncommon.

You can go to any doctor for the medical, but this can cause delays as DVLA still have to then contact your own doctor to confirm medical conditions and medicine prescribed. My doctor charged £130 some of the travelling doctors who do HGV drivers charge about £50.

While waiting I can still drive in this country, see below for the conditions and the position for driving abroad without having a current licence..
There is a provision in the law, under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, which could allow you to continue driving while your licence is being renewed, as long as you are able to satisfy all of the following criteria:
• you drive under the conditions of the licence applied for (e.g. provisional categories/entitlements, where a provisional licence was held)

Link Removed guide for medical practitioners. Your GP or consultant will be able to help you if necessary.

Please note: When driving outside the UK, Section 88 may not be accepted. Before you travel, check with the country’s Licensing Authority for advice on driving there.
We are in the same situation, been waiting since application in April. When we ring up DVLA just get answer, "with medical team, we will let you know when a decision reached". The doctors we have seen say husband is fit and well and no issues.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Chaser ! ! !
WHAT a good year 1947 was mate ! ! !
I also hit 70 on 22nd of March, but, like you, I don't think I'll bother retaining my 7.5 Ton qualification..
I have already handed in my HGV Artic licence, as well as tracked, cos I'm not going to be using them any more ! !
Sorry to hear about your delay Puddles..
I rang them up when I had a delay following my "Brain Fart" and was told that, IF I was stopped by the "Fuzz", that I should just show them the letter saying that it was delayed..
So off I went. (didn't get stopped) And the licence arrived in due course.
The chap told me that it sometimes takes 2 WEEKS for the mail to get from downstairs, in the mail reception, to the relevant departments ! ! ! !
Good eh......
:LOL:.
Mitch.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I think @Minxy Girl is right, the van is (I beleive) 3.5 as standard, but to up plate to 3.85 is a paper exercise with no modifications being done to the van. (The MLi certainly is and I can't see the MLT being different)

This means that all the while your licence allows you to drive over 3.5 tonne you'll be fine - however if for whatever reason the additional entitlement is removed, it's a paper exercise to replate to 3.5 tonnes and carry on with the same van.

Payload of around 500 kg is more than many coachbuilts in this weight category come with, so with a bit of care you shouldn't have any issues.

Hopefully it's academic anyway and medical etc at 70 will be passed with flying colours.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years

Excellent advice. I would add that you can get copies of documents certified at post offices (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service) which are worth keeping just in case the DVLA lose the originals. (£10.50 for up to 3 documents)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Having had a couple of medical problems, may I say that the DVLA treated me with the greatest of care, always letting me know of any delays etc
Medical at my own Doctors £85
The form is not user friendly for motorhomers but doable.
The Medical department at DVLA could not be more helpful while other contacts are not easy there. I failed my eye test due to wearing the wrong glasses. First contact at DVLA said "You cannot drive!" and passed me to medical dept who said carry on driving and sent me a form for my optician who pointed out that I would have passed 'without' my glasses

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Be wary of upgrading to 3850Kg, it's just a paper exercise, and the max weight on the rear axle remains the same.

If you are able to distribute the load on both axles to full effect, then you will be able to carry a total load of 3850Kg.

However, in most MH configurations, it's difficult to distribute the max load to the front axle to take advantage of the upgrade.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I am still waiting!

I'm still waiting after my licence was revoked for medical reasons. I fainted (twice in six months) we know why (and it won't happen again) but it is automatic six month revocation. The DVLA say they take new evidence into account but YOU DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY GET YOUR LICENCE BACK AFTER THE SIX MONTHS CLEAR. I've now been waiting since May, haven't driven the new motorhome yet :(

Did you know that if your licence is revoked / they take ages to restore that you can apply to a magistrates court for its restoration.
It actually shows it in this link

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2016/11/10/online-medical-licensing-service-goes-into-public-beta/

click on " decide what further action to take " scroll down to
" if you disagree with dvla's decision" click on "magistrates court " or "sherrif's court" You'd probably need some citizens advice as to how to go about it & what info is needed to prove

This takes you straight there;https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions/what-dvla-will-decide

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Did you know that if your licence is revoked / they take ages to restore that you can apply to a magistrates court for its restoration.
It actually shows it in this link

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2016/11/10/online-medical-licensing-service-goes-into-public-beta/

click on " decide what further action to take " scroll down to
" if you disagree with dvla's decision" click on "magistrates court " or "sherrif's court" You'd probably need some citizens advice as to how to go about it & what info is needed to prove

This takes you straight there;https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions/what-dvla-will-decide

You only get 21 days in Scotland, so with 7 days to get the letter from the DVLA that gives you only 14 days to get all the information you need, appoint a solicitor and get a Sheriff Court hearing. In effect, in Scotland, there is no appeal. I have my MSP working on that at the moment.

Add to that the cut backs in the court service and there is even less chance of getting a hearing.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had a double win on this one!. We bought a 3500kg Van on the Alko Chassis, but loaded it was a bit close to the 3.5t. So I decided to ask for my C1/E back, filled in the form, my own doc did the medical, using the results from a recent eye Test. And sent it off, came back about 3 weeks later with C/1E reinstated AND the 01 code removed!. When they did my 2 cataracts they put in implants. Which means my general eyesight is good enough to drive with out Glasses.! Now uprated the van to 3850kg AND got Money back from DVLA because PLG is cheaper!. Win Win!!. IF the worst happens I can down-rate it, it will means taking out a bit of "kit". BUT you can put most of it in the "Toad" and it`s still legal!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back