re-registering in Spain (1 Viewer)

Steve Oraa

Free Member
Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Do we have to re-register our motorhome in Spain as we will be there for about nine months before coming back to England. I contacted a company called Spanish number plates who can deal with this and they told me that as long as we don't plan to live in Spain, there is no need. I am a bit confused!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Is it not possible to drive over the border into say France and stay away one night and then come back?

Get your passport stanped to prove

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it not possible to drive over the border into say France and stay away one night and then come back?

Get your passport stanped to prove

Peter

If you can find a border post..:LOL:

I'm sure lots of snowbirds stay longer than 6 months .. and never worry.. or even think about it.. do they feel lucky.. or just plead ignorance..

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There are people here in Benidorm who have been here years in Uk reg cars and run the gauntlet..
With a motorhome, who would really know how long you have been here.. As mentioned above there are no border checks and unless your going to park your van on a pitch for 9 months I cant see any issues... Re-registration in Spain is a "pain" and not cheap.. Also on a motorhome if it's RHD with hab door on the nearside (uk). it will not be allowed for registration...

Technically !!
I think if you spend more that 182 in a year in Spain you are meant to register as a " resident". Now, you dont want to be doing that...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The requirement to re-register only applies if you are resident in Spain, that's to say, you've applied for and been given residentia status.

If you are officially resident in the UK, you can claim to be here in Spain on an extended vacation and keep your motorhome on UK plates, insurance, MOT and tax.

As has also been pointed out, it's very difficult for the authorities in Spain to prove that you haven't been out of the country at various times in the 9 months ... but really doesn't matter. The key thing here is your residential status.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back