Re Fillable Gas Bottles (1 Viewer)

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Thought I would start a new thread as this is being discussed in another unreated thread!.

I have two 6kg bottles, red ones, are these re-fillable. If not, how much would 11kg re-fillables be, and would they be topped up in France/belgium/holland?? CAn the euro supplier top up English bottles??

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Stewart if they are Calor they are exchangable you cant in theory get them filled you just exchange them for full ones, you can swop them for 11kg "free" you only pay for the extra gass, it is rumoured you can get them filled abroad but not confirmed and it may be only one or two gas suppliers can/will fill them, certainly not here in the UK
geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
to answer another of your questions re fillable bottles are either clearlighweigt plastic or bright yellow and carry the name Gaslow if its got a gas manufacturers name on it ie Callor or Shell or Atlas Gas etc then they are exchange only wit most exchage cylinders the original purchaser had to pay a deposit on the bottle and if you have the original recipt you can get your money back, no recipt no deposit back,
if you have bottles in your possesion then they can be exchanged for any size up or down without any charge, you only pay for the quantity of gas contained in them
Geo
Just out of interest red cyl normaly means Propane gas and blue cyl means Butane gass they have different regulators and either can be used on your appliances red is best this time of year, most folk stick to red as the blue bottles freeze up in winter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Cool, I will upgrade to 11kg at next refill. Have two weeks planned in Europe next year. Hopefully each bottle will last a week.. :RollEyes: At least it will be warmer weather....!

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Stuart
The Gaslow system seems to be very good but mighty expensive. If I were you I would do as Geo has suggested and change your existing 6Kg bottles for 11Kg bottles and keep a look out for someone selling a spare 6 or 11Kg bottle before you go, that way you can take a spare bottle in a locker (or somewhere) and you should have plenty. You often see gas bottles for sale in March time in your local paper or on eBay for a few quid :winky:
Good luck

Keith

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Totally agree with what has been said, just a couple of points,

I fitted my own Gaslow Bottle which saved some money, I have just one 11kg refillable cylinder and a 6kg propane as a standby, and we haven't had any problems other than when we couldn't find a filling station but that was when the 6kg propane came into its own ?

Link Removed

Check your weight as you will be adding a significant amount of weight if you upgrade to 2-11kg from 2-6kg as the while its only 2x5kg extra in Gas the extra bottle weight needs to be added ?. I do hope I am not telling you about something you already know, but while 10kg dosen't sound like a lot, have you weighed your MH with all of the stuff you want to take with you, only a lot of people find that the payloads can be exceeded very easily,

Not directly related to the Gas Bottles but if you haven't already weighted your motorhome I would suggest you do it soon, you need to load your MH with everything you think you want to take with you including water and fuel and go to your nearest weighbridge and weigh both axles independently just to see what if any spare capacity you have and then make your decision on what else in terms of weight you want to add, including 1 or 2 gas bottles.

On a slightly different subject but still to do with weight, after getting the weights its really worth contacting your tyre manufacturer and asking them about their recommended tyre pressures, they will want the axle weights and if your aren't already aware you may find a significant difference in the pressures from what your hand book says, which will affect the ride ?

Sorry if i have gone over things you already know I just thought I would mention them just in case

Hope that helps

Edit

Just checked my hand book and its suggesting that an 2004/5 E745 should have either
2-7kg or 1-13kg i assume that the 7 and 13 are Butane sizes as the equiverlent in Propane is I think 6kg and 11kg please check, also from my hand book the Maximum user payload is shown as 394kg which if my information is correct i would think one would need to be very careful not to exceed

Cool, I will upgrade to 11kg at next refill. Have two weeks planned in Europe next year. Hopefully each bottle will last a week.. :RollEyes: At least it will be warmer weather....!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you go down the route of a third bottle for europe the best place to get one would be your local rubbish tip.
they are normally put in a secure compound and sent back to calor when they have enough.
the tip guys around here charge a couple of quid to put in the coffee fund.
just make sure it has calor printed in it as a lot of other makes are blue or red and they dont fit the regulator.

john.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Another point for old cylinders is your local skip hire company as they will always take only a little cash to get rid as Calor and others will give them nothing I am told.

David

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years

Hi Stuey, 11 Kg should last you 5 to 6 weeks if you use no heating. For cooking and boiling the kettle and a couple of showers a week. it should see you home easily if you are only away for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Hi Stuey, 11 Kg should last you 5 to 6 weeks if you use no heating. For cooking and boiling the kettle and a couple of showers a week. it should see you home easily if you are only away for a couple of weeks.

Thnaks BB, is that one 11kg or two 11kg.... should last 5 to 6 weeks?

2escapees

Deleted User
If anyone wants a spare 13kg French propane bottle exchangeable almost everywhere it is here for free!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back