rb panel van conversion begins ! (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph has been in Pug half a day yesterday and from 8 am this morning. He came in for his steak and chips then went back out. He's just walked in now. At 7.40 pm and gone in the bath.
Pug is starting to look like a conversion now though. I'm sure he'll put some more pictures on tonight. If he doesn't fall asleep first !

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Really envious of those that gave the talent and skill to build their own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Come on guys update with pics please or I will be round your gaff for a looksee(y)
Your welcome any time ! Both of you, Seriously . Keep me company. I'm a bloody Pvc widow. And I don't mean the kinky rubber type :Eeek:

He's in there now !
He's been in " Pug" since 6 am. Plus all day yesterday. The conversions coming on nicely . He's put the sliding door window in plus one rear big window, done some outside socket things and something to do with the gas. I don't know exactly........
I'm sure he will put some pictures on later. It's just that he's so hard at it , when he comes in he just crashes out. He's lost a stone in weight ! No kidding. Without even blooming trying.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Your welcome any time ! Both of you, Seriously . Keep me company. I'm a bloody Pvc widow. And I don't mean the kinky rubber type :Eeek:

He's in there now !
He's been in " Pug" since 6 am. Plus all day yesterday. The conversions coming on nicely . He's put the sliding door window in plus one rear big window, done some outside socket things and something to do with the gas. I don't know exactly........
I'm sure he will put some pictures on later. It's just that he's so hard at it , when he comes in he just crashes out. He's lost a stone in weight ! No kidding. Without even blooming trying.

If I get home next weekend we may pop round thanks
If ralph has lost a stone he must be off his beer then :whistle:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
you will be able to get more weight in the van now.:giggler::giggler:
I know, I've lost 1 and a half stone too. Doing the funsters 5/2 diet.
So that's 2 1/2 stone extra weight we can carry. Ralph says he knows he'll put his back on once the vans finished, because he's been eating and drinking as normal. It's just all the extra work he's been doing on top of his normal very physical job.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
tell him to be careful , or he might have to make it a tag axle

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
God this conversion stuff is time consuming but very rewarding.
Well another weekend has flown by but i am slowly making progress (y)
The insulation stage seemed to take forever but i am very happy with what i have done.
I have ply lined most of the walls using moisture resistance boards.
The shower area to the RHS took some time as i straightened up the wall on the bottom half which will make easier to fit the toilet and sink.

All the window cut outs are complete but expecting my last window this week as it wasn't in stock when i ordered. Also cut out and fitted are the water, gas, and mains inlets.
All the cable trunking is behind the plywood now ready for the wiring up later (y)
I have started on the Veltrim finish, its easy to apply on flat surfaces but can be tricky on tight curves and requires you to stretch and pull down when fitting. A lot of this will be under beds and behind lockers but easier to fit now before the cabinets are in. Plus I can hide all the joins behind where the cupboards are going to be.

Next weekend i will be finishing inside the back doors its going to be a fiddly job with some angles and curves to get round.
The doors are already insulated but i would like to cover as much metal as i can with veltrim too.
I may even get round to fitting one of the three roof lights. I had to order some bigger fixings for two of these as the standard fitting are too small for my roof thickness.
Its starting to take shape now, hopefully a couple more weekends and it will be ready for the joiner to do his bit.

Thanks for looking.....Ralph :)

IMG_5408.JPG
IMG_5409.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG
IMG_5418.JPG
IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5391.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG
IMG_5423.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG

Last edited:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Looking good Ralph, coming along nicely, keep up the good work!! See you both out in "pug" soon

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks toxic .
Hope so Val. We shall be at Whitby Goth , even if Pug isn't finished !
Plenty old camping things left!

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Looking very well now Ralph (y)

Hope Bev is keeping the hot brews coming :) in this cold weather.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Looking very well now Ralph (y)

Hope Bev is keeping the hot brews coming :) in this cold weather.

Thank You...

The tea lady is also doing a cracking job :LOL::LOL:

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Excellent job and you will have the bonus of knowing where everything is routed and how to get to it .
One question , what hole saw did you use for gas filler cap ? . I am drilling a metal skirt and the erbauer 70mm hole saw I have seems to have large teeth and I don't want it to snag in the metal .any tips ? . Thanks , Colin .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ralph coming along nicely :) Thanks for the pics and updates (y)
Alice (ambulance) went this weekend after I took deposit almost 2 weeks ago, so now I just have to find a van :D Imay be in a tent along side you at Whitby or in the small Caddy-maxi camper if I still have it:eek::D Paul and I were out converting this old bus/shed and it was bitter cold yesterday (Sunday) we packed it in after about 4 1/2 hrs :D Keep warm :LOL: and keep the pics coming (y)
terry

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Excellent job and you will have the bonus of knowing where everything is routed and how to get to it .
One question , what hole saw did you use for gas filler cap ? . I am drilling a metal skirt and the erbauer 70mm hole saw I have seems to have large teeth and I don't want it to snag in the metal .any tips ? . Thanks , Colin .

Hi Colin, that's the one i used (y)
They do have big teeth but just make sure its suitable for metal cutting.
If i remember right they are multi purpose and will cut wood, metal or plastic.

As for tips just....Plenty masking tape and don't push on too hard just let it cut under its own steam.
I am sure you know about painting any bare metal to prevent rust (y)

Thanks for your comments.....Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Alice (ambulance) went this weekend after I took deposit almost 2 weeks ago, so now I just have to find a van :D Imay be in a tent along side you at Whitby or in the small Caddy-maxi camper if I still have it:eek::D Paul and I were out converting this old bus/shed and it was bitter cold yesterday (Sunday) we packed it in after about 4 1/2 hrs :D Keep warm :LOL: and keep the pics coming (y)
terry

Great news on the Alice Terry (y)

Your right about it being cold mate. We back onto fields and the driveway where i am working most of the time is like a wind tunnel :(
I parked him in the front garden on Saturday to cut out in the sunshine.
Got home early today so started cutting the ply for the back doors, a real pain in the :moon2: to cut. Three hours on one side
Set up the jigsaw and a heater the back of the van (y)

If my vans not ready i may pitch my tent next to yours at Whitby :LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
terry

Great news on the Alice Terry (y)

Your right about it being cold mate. We back onto fields and the driveway where i am working most of the time is like a wind tunnel :(
I parked him in the front garden on Saturday to cut out in the sunshine.
Got home early today so started cutting the ply for the back doors, a real pain in the :moon2: to cut. Three hours on one side
Set up the jigsaw and a heater the back of the van (y)

If my vans not ready i may pitch our tent next to yours at Whitby :LOL::LOL:

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks Ralph , I am hoping the skirt is aluminium , if it isn't I'll paint the cut bit .

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We've not even put our " Mizar GTL living Top Class " up for sale yet. Need to get round to it. Get an advert together. We don't really want to use it For goth weekend and have to get it all valeted again!

So worse case we shall go in "pug" unfinished. Using camping equipment . At least there's showers available At the school . If our bathrooms not finished we've still got a camping porta potti too!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We've not even put our " Mizar GTL living Top Class " up for sale yet. Need to get round to it. Get an advert together. We don't really want to use it For goth weekend and have to get it all valeted again!

So worse case we shall go in "pug" unfinished. Using camping equipment . At least there's showers available At the school . If our bathrooms not finished we've still got a camping porta potti too!
Ya could always bunk up with lilac lill

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Now porta potti that's something I never thought about :DI may have to buy one for the Caddy -that should prove interesting seeing that you crawl about in the van :D

I went to the van sales yesterday and bought a ambulance on the knock of the hammer and a 2009 lwb relay provisional-When I went to pay it turned out both were provisional so today I am waiting for a phone call to say I have both hopefully (y) It will be a few weeks before we can make a start on either but if the relay comes I will stick in some insulation and a fold out bed for Whitby ;) or Ambulance just a fold out bed and make sure the heatings working :)Now that sounds more cosy :DEither way I will be in something -Watch for the blue lights :LOL:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back