Raw and Cold Pressed Dog Food (1 Viewer)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We’ve been using Gentle for about 3 years now, and our dogs seem to thrive on it - two 8 year old Jack Russell/Shih Tzus (yes, they are Jacksh*ts), one 11 year old Toy Poodle cross, and a 16 year old Yorkie/Jack Russell - and, as they only have 1% of their body weight in Gentle each day, a 15kg bag lasts a fair while, and, of course, it is easy to store and transport in the ‘van. The manufacturer advises that it be introduced gradually into the dog’s diet in case it does not agree with them, but their poo is much ‘nicer’ to deal with (if that’s possible!) than it would be with processed food. I would give it a go, Jim.

Andy

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes its a common food found for sale at Vets. You'd think the vet would be more interested in pet health than profit wouldn't you? Just look at the rubbish in that food. IMO they sell it because it gives them a good markup and that it ensures they get to see the dog often.

Ingredients: Chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, pork meal, whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, whole grain sorghum, corn gluten meal, pork fat, chicken liver flavor, dried beet pulp, fish oil, flaxseed, lactic acid, pork flavor, soybean oil, dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, potassium chloride, l-lysine, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), taurine, oat fiber, mixed tocopherols for freshness, natural flavors, beta-carotene, apples, broccoli, carrots, cranberries, green peas

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 1.7%

Red items indicate controversial ingredients

Jim, if looking for a good alternative to freshly cooked meat when away in the van we can highly recommend this company - http://www.symplypetfoods.co.uk/

http://www.symplypetfoods.co.uk/dog/wet-trays/lamb-adult-tray
http://www.symplypetfoods.co.uk/dog/wet-trays/turkey-adult-tray

Their Turkey & Rice and Lamb & Rice Wet Dog Food is shown below which has a much higher meat content and less additives than normally found in most dog foods but it does come at a price. We have been feeding our Border Collie with a mixture of their dried food and wet food for about three years since a puppy on the recommendation of a highly regarded KC breeder and everybody including our vet comments on how fit and well he looks.

Turkey (min. 73%) - Lamb (min. 73%)
Brown Rice (4%)
Peas (3%)
Carrots (1%)
Salmon Oil (0.5%)
Seaweed
Minerals
Prebiotic - Fructooligosaccharide
Yucca.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Some high protein foods have to be balanced with the correct exercise, some working dogs don't do any work, some sporting dogs don't do sport, some dogs are on the go all day, hounds get fed on dead animals! And the wolf sometimes only had one meal a week if that, but all the nutrition came from the fat, the meat, the blood and bones, the vet's and nutritionists work on that fact and that is why we pay a lot of money for some feed, its a minefield, if my dogs have nice clean shiny coats, are wormed regularly, (for lung worm too) have a weekly check up for teeth, ears, and eyes, then I'm a happy bunny.:sun:
T

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We have had a number of dogs.

I don’t think we could cope with raw at hope or in the van. We feed dry it’s easy, clean and convenient!!

When I first got Benjy he was put on Eukanuba puppy thinking it would be good for him, and later onto a cheap generic brand. He was a rescue puppy who was the runt, had issues etc. As he approached 12 years I think we heard about Orijen. Benjy always pooed a lot. His fur improved massively on Orijen and as did his waste product!! After 9 months it was possibly too rich for him so he went onto Acana. Then to Millies Wolfheart as it’s cheaper and still gets good reviews. Benjy lived to almost 15yrs.

Our new baby Scout was put onto Millies but he had the opposite problem to Benjy and from getting him always seemed constipated. He is now settled and really good on
Akela - it scores high on all about dogs and is close to raw feeding without the worry of cleaning up. The lamb one has more natural fibre which helps Scout! Plus the packaging is good, nice resealable bags!

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2010
Just as a post script to this recent chat, there is a site www.animeddirect.co.uk where I get my bagged food from, grain free foods are cheaper on this site, a large bag by at least two pounds and the delivery is free, pets on a regular veterinary prescription can get it here for half the price you pay at the vet's. My dog was costing me £100 through the vet's but £50 once I asked the vet's for a recommendation, over nineteen months this was a great saving.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Lilys Kitchen for us. Its a great compromise and most importantly Nelson thrives on it. Couldnt be doing with raw food diets at home then kibble in the MOHO as he would go on strike at withdrawal of raw food.
We discovered by trial and error what agreed with his system and what didnt.
Each to their own :D

Mrs Stagman

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Some of my friends feed their dogs raw meat, I'm not a fan at all. My main concern is the bacteria etc that is present in raw meat.
My dogs have always had all in one dried food, supplemented by a small amount of raw veg & fruit and other left overs. They have all lived long and happy lives. Dogs have been domesticated for a long time and survived on our cast offs, and we have been cooking our meat for probably about the same length of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Some of my friends feed their dogs raw meat, I'm not a fan at all. My main concern is the bacteria etc that is present in raw meat.
My dogs have always had all in one dried food, supplemented by a small amount of raw veg & fruit and other left overs. They have all lived long and happy lives. Dogs have been domesticated for a long time and survived on our cast offs, and we have been cooking our meat for probably about the same length of time.

I thought that. What happens when your dogs been eating raw chicken carcasses etc. There’s all sorts of nasty bugs on raw meat especially chicken .
It will be all in it’s mouth around it’s mouth on it’s muzzle and fur and on it’s paws.
The bacteria would then walk into your house , onto your floors, or furniture if you allow them up.
Your dog may lick you or worse a child’s face mouth . How do you stop bacteria spreading without wiping its paws and around it’s mouth .

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2010
Freeze all raw meat first, it will kill all bacteria. Vegetables do not contain bad bacteria.
If you have pets around children make sure the pets are wormed, treat them with a flee and mite control such as frontline. Simples!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back