Rattling noise in top front of cab (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
On our chausson flash 510, there is a rattle noise as though something is rolling around inside the facia. Not sure if it is called that :). It is the bit in front of the shelf at the top of the cab. Now it sounds to me like a load of acorns rolling around :-(. My OH laughed and said how did acorns get in there. We have a very active squirrel in our garden and wondered if it is possible? Is there a hole or some small space that stuff could have got in? It is due for its hab check in April and would be to nervous to undo anything, unless it is really easy. Anyone had this?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not herd of it --perhaps the squirrel has made a hole in the van to store food for when times get hard :D
terry

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I took the top facia apart a couple of weeks ago in our Flash10 to put in some speaker cables. I suspect yours will be similar. Wish I'd taken some photos now.

So, first I found that the cables that Chausson installed for the LED lights, which are under the plastic trims, were not fastened down, so I taped all of them all down. They could have rattled. At the very front of the van, in the overhang if you like, once the trim was off, there is about a six inch gap between the back of the trim and the actual GRP of the moulding. I checked carefully that there were no spare, loose screws in that area, as we have found odd screws in various places on the MH from sloppy manufacture. I suspect most MHs will have a few "spare bits" rattling round from manufacture.

It is not an easy job to get those top facias off and you have to be really careful with the plastic trim as it could easily break.

But I would suspect loose screws in there, rather than acorns !!!!

Another possibility, is something loose under the cab plastic rooflining above your head ? I also did a tape-down job with cables in there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
On the welcome 76 we had the inner roof surface was loose the dealer fixed it, this was on collection of a new van, looks like a common fault with them , Pete

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just had a thought. You know the big skylight, window type thing at the front top of the MH ? Externally, there is a gutter at the base of the skylight, now if a few small acorns got dropped into that they would roll back and forth quite merrily.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Thanks,nwe are taking it out a run around tonight, after clearing any gutter etc. All the above plausible, if it is still there we may ask the dealership in April to look at. I assume no damage is being done waiting. (n)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Building foam cure rattles like that, pump it til the van swells up and it will actually float in water after.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My wife says mice got in and taken some hazel nut shell somewhere.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
You need to check your nuts if you have an active squirrel!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back