Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Yep as it says I've been done over by ratty................
Went to visit the van today and found the cuboard doors chewed,:Sad: fridge door seal gnawed,:cry: and its eaten its way through a pipe from the boiler as well:Eeek:
god knows if it's done any leccy damage ?? we'll wait and see. Can't find any entry /exit point but I know these little g*its can squeeze into some pretty tight places, so it's got me wondering how / what safe gaurds can you employ around/under the van ???
I was thinking of hanging some piccies of rossy, brand, and skin shanks clarkson around what' da ya think.:thumb::ROFLMAO:

You got to laugh hav'nt you. :RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
caught two mice in the beast since we got back, despite having poison down, two traps and also an ultrasonic repellant. /they get through any pipework, chew wires, rubber pipes, plastic tubes and paper/cardboard. Think they are attracted by a warm billet and the smell of food. If you have a definative answer that does not involve mains electricity please do share with us.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
How about ....

... this

Better than poison, that's for sure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Cat.jpg
    Cat.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 103
  • ev2-1-for-web.jpg
    ev2-1-for-web.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Are you sure its rats? Plenty of mice look to relocate at this time of year and they will use your van as a base for their foraging. Make sure that there is NOTHING for them to eat, sugar, flour, pasta tucked away in a cupboard.

Traps are the best way, don't use poison because you don't want them dying hidden away. By a half a dozen of the plastic trip traps, bait them with chocolate spread or peanut butter and check often.

Some members have said that the smell of mothballs will keep them out, but I prefer the smell of mice:ROFLMAO:

best of luck

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Rat Attack

Hi All
We keep our M/H on storage on a farm and we also have had problems with mice. They nested in the sound profing under the bonnet made a right mess
Spare a moment and read the last post 8 days away in my blog. see what they did to us
Madasa-Soles
Maureen

Last edited:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Rats

They also like awnings and covers stored in garages!!!!

OP
OP
P

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
I'am assuming it's a rat, going by the size of the poo and the chew marks in the pipe and doors..... I did take a couple of snaps of the damage ( I'll post soon as I can ) we had a problem in the garden a few months ago with ratty's there was quite a few running round , they where so confident they did'nt run far when I was in the garden , which was their downfall cause they did'nt see me creeping up with the 2x2..... WHAP :thumb:

Turns out our neighbour had large bags of rice stored in her garage, so the rats where all having a party in and around her garage.

I've heard of squirrels doing this kind of thing but do they chew like rats do ?

Anyway I've got some repairs to sort out now and like I said more worried if any of the letrics are damaged but we will wait and see as it's headed for J Cross's soon.

I 'll keep you posted.

pete.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Had squirrels in the attic a couple of years ago, chewed all the electrics up. finished I had to rewire upstairs. Every time i see one its 410 buckshot, slowly getting on top of them.:ROFLMAO:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Bounce Laundry Sheets scattered round inside and under wheel arches if you can secure them.

:Smile:
Keith

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Squirrels are hairy rats, and do the same damage-------------------------but we do feed them and love em!!!!!!!!
I agree with Jim that a body hidden is a real pain in the nose, we had one under the dash of our coach in Portugal, we had no idea it was feasting on the insulation of the wires until we followed the smell, if it had not died there it would have carried on stripping the wires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So we now have poison in areas behind drawers/cupboards in case a mouse/squirrel wants to share our space.I am prepared to risk the consequences.
In our work unit I have 2 electronic rat traps and have "relocated" dozens of homless mice.
Good luck with your squatters
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
P

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Squirrels are hairy rats, and do the same damage-------------------------but we do feed them and love em!!!!!!!!
I agree with Jim that a body hidden is a real pain in the nose, we had one under the dash of our coach in Portugal, we had no idea it was feasting on the insulation of the wires until we followed the smell, if it had not died there it would have carried on stripping the wires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So we now have poison in areas behind drawers/cupboards in case a mouse/squirrel wants to share our space.I am prepared to risk the consequences.
In our work unit I have 2 electronic rat traps and have "relocated" dozens of homless mice.
Good luck with your squatters
Nigel & Pamala

Whats type of electronic traps are you using, are they for mice only or rats/squirrels ?? I take it from your comment " relocated" your not zapping the little sods.
Just found out today that it looks unlikely that our insurance covers rodent attacks, done some phoning around and it appears lots of policies exclude it.. any for any vermin experts out there have an gander at the attached piccies ( if i done it correct )

Attachments

• RAT 1.jpg
    RAT 1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 19
  • RAT 2.jpg
    RAT 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 16
  • RAT 3.jpg
    RAT 3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 22

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I am sad to admit that although the mice were hot, they had chilled by the time I carefully threw them over the hedge, (I think they served to help hungry mouths looking for fresh, unpoisened meat) ----Where there are losers there are often winners!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigel

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
My traps are rat traps, they will zap ANYTHING that can enter.
Locate away from "friends"
Rats are VERY clever, bait the trap but do not set until a couple of baits have been taken, they are very carefull.
I once had a mouse stolen by a rat, but it also took the trap that it was caught in!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought my battery traps from Northern Tool.
Nigel

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
I agree, you been got at by a rat.

The third photograph shows a rat-sized lump of sh*te at the top middle.

The teeth marks on the fridge seal also suggest a rat.

Does the engine start ? What about all the other bits and pieces like indicators and so on ?

Have they been inside the engine bay ? If so have they damaged the soundproof material - have a good like behind the dashboard.

Look for where the rat has been urinating. They tend to sh*te anywhere but seem to always p*ss in the same spot. You'll need to clean that area well otherwise.........

Be very careful as dealing with rat sh*te and u*ine may have serious health consequences.

I take it you have moved your vehicle since learning you have had visitors. If not they are probably still visiting.

Have a look around where you keep your vehicle. You may find rat sized holes leading to rat sized tunnels not far from your van. If so seal the holes and waterfill.

Might I suggest you trade in your vehicle ? Makes you think about buying secondhand!!!

(Not a rat expert by any means but being a country dweller I've had to deal with a rat or two. They like tractors as well !!!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back