Raspberry Pi DIY VPN

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by DBK, Jul 24, 2015.

1. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +24,691
    I haven't looked at emails and the web yet but if I buy the right connectors I should be able to plug the video output into the MH TV. Just need a DVI to VGA adaptor I think.

2. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +575
    Hi @DBK ,
    I know this is a very old thread I have just stumbled upon it with a Google search, but, how is it working? Is it still Working OK?
    I have just spent quite a few hours and in fact ordered a Pi3B to do just what you have done only to find after all the research that my Linksys Router has OpenVPN built in which is even better and of course will be quite happy running 24/7 and only one link in the chain. So I will be activating that so I can work safer when connected to Camp Site WiFi or even McD's. But it occurred to me that it would be worth setting up the Pi as a VPN Gateway in the Van as the PI3B has WiFi built in.
    I know all the devices can each have the OpenVPN app but it just seems better to use a gateway on all the time.
    I initially was looking at building a Pi VPN to install at my son's house in the UK so I could use iPlayer etc from our house in France and when travelling but he is not too happy about opening his home network up and wants me to build a VPN server on the Amazon Cloud using their AWS Free Tier but personally I think that big companies are getting more and more evil so I would prefer to have control of my own VPN tunnel. I am not that interested in iPlayer anyway.
    So an update on how you are finding it would be great. Do you access files on your home NAS etc? as well as using it for Banking etc.
    Thanks,
    Steve

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,318
    With components made in China.

4. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +24,691
    It worked - until it was turned off by someone at home while we were away! Which illustrates the problem with a DIY solution. Who is going to fix it when you are out of the country?

I don't use it now or any VPN. BBC iPlayer now works in Europe without one and for banking I just use our broadband connection through the MiFi which is as safe as I need it. :) I wouldn't use a free or public WiFi for banking but broadband is safe.

5. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +575
    IPlayer doesn't work for me in Europe, how does it work for you?
    Steve

6. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +24,691
    It just does. :) It used to detect when you outside the UK and refuse to work but for a year or more that restriction has been lifted. Others can get it to work as well.

It did first ask me to register and I did that when in the UK. This may or may not be significant. If you try to first register when not in the UK it may not like it.