Raspberry Pi 4 power (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi all,

As a bit of a geek, I would love to have a raspberry Pi 4 running in the van. I have a portable wifi router running already to supply our laptops, tablets etc with internet whilst we are out and about, so that side of things is already sorted. I'm interested in running a Pi4 to act as a low-power laptop replacement for work emailing etc as well as running some retro games. I would also like it to work as a streaming centre for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.

I can see from the Raspberry Foundation website that the Pi4 should be supplied with a 3A USB C power supply. As I would like to power my device from the hab batteries, is this as simple as replacing one of my existing dual USB outlets with a higher rated one (I believe the standard I need to look for is QC 3.0??)?? If not, what should I do to ensure that I can meet the power requirements for a Pi4?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you are going to replace existing sockets with new ones, I think it's better to go for an actual USB-C socket with PD (Power Delivery) 2.0 minimum. It would be more future-proof. I don't know if QC3.0 from the square Type A sockets will supply 3A. The higher power levels from QC3 sockets may need some communication between the device and charger to negotiate a higher charge current, I'm not sure. But a proper USB-C PD socket will supply 3A. Something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B07NV9D61R

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks autorouter , that's really helpful. Hopefully will be able to do a thread in the not-too-distant future detailing the Pi up and running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back