Rare Roman coin found worth up to 80k near York. (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Not only that it was found in the field two fields away from mine! The same two metal detectorists swept my field about six months ago and found nothing except a silver sixpence dated 1949 which was my birth year. How strange is that? So I have a nice new metal detector on order for a Tuesday delivery and off I go! Should keep me busy for the winter!

I have a 5 acre field which is the old ridge and furrow layout so is obviously very old and bound to be full of riches. Ha!

Wish me luck!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good Luck

Not only that it was found in the field two fields away from mine! The same two metal detectorists swept my field about six months ago and found nothing except a silver sixpence dated 1949 which was my birth year. How strange is that? So I have a nice new metal detector on order for a Tuesday delivery and off I go! Should keep me busy for the winter!

I have a 5 acre field which is the old ridge and furrow layout so is obviously very old and bound to be full of riches. Ha!

Wish me luck!

Dig deep throw well back and good luck:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

Wish me luck!

Good luck with your quest and your field sounds very interesting. but believe me detecting is no walk in the park but a very rewarding hobby if you are into history, especially of your local area. It's amazing some of the stuff you come across while researching potential detecting sites. All these stories in the press recently seem to spur people on to head on out and get a detector only to find they end up with nowhere to go, it is not easy getting permission which of course you need to detect anywhere, and most people are detecting for years before finding anything of any historic value let alone monetary.Don't know what detector you are getting or how seriously you want to get into the hobby but you will find pleanty of advice over on this forum www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hmmm, I'm having a walk around York tomorrow finishing with Coffee & Cake outside the Art Gallery at Bootham Bar. Reward enough me thinks having taken in the delights of York but will keep my eyes peeled just in case :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What detector have you gone for ?
I bought a Fisher 18 mnths ago and in all honesty I have not been that impressed with it

the discrimination is very hit and miss to say the least...
I find a reasonable forum is www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk.. I do not use it a lot but just like Fun, it is full of good solid information

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Barrie & I have an XP Goldmax Power and the best thing we've found recently is a gold quarter stater dating back over 2000 years.

Detecting is hard work but great fun in equal measures. ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got a c Scope as well .. The Fisher is now the main player though, as the C Scope is getting long in the tooth ................

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Imagine.... a Roman Yorkshireman losing his loose change.:Eeek:

Blimey I bet some poor Ancient Briton got the edge of his temper :roflmto::roflmto:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Paddy bought a metal detector. He dug down about 20 ft then realised he had got steel toe caps.

0 out of 10 or what?

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back