DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm a few years out of date but I seem to recall goshawks were doing well around Kielder but couldn't establish themselves beyond the park. The inference was they were simply shot if they strayed too far near the grouse moors.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I'm a few years out of date but I seem to recall goshawks were doing well around Kielder but couldn't establish themselves beyond the park. The inference was they were simply shot if they strayed too far near the grouse moors.

You are quite correct, if it has a hooky beak its "removed" even owls and Kestrels in my area

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We live high up on the north pennine moors. An idyllic place, hen harriers are beautiful birds, seen a few of them around here.

What more can you ask for, lapwing chicks walking through the side gate, black grouse flying overhead, snipe drumming, curlews, redshank, oystercatchers, golden plovers, stonechats, short eared owl plus loads more

I have to pinch myself each day to make sure I am not dreaming. Its a birdwatchers paradise.

I am all for conservation so I hope the lobbying pays off.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We live high up on the north pennine moors. An idyllic place, hen harriers are beautiful birds, seen a few of them around here.

What more can you ask for, lapwing chicks walking through the side gate, black grouse flying overhead, snipe drumming, curlews, redshank, oystercatchers, golden plovers, stonechats, short eared owl plus loads more

I have to pinch myself each day to make sure I am not dreaming. Its a birdwatchers paradise.

I am all for conservation so I hope the lobbying pays off.

My favourite time of the year here in the Northern Pennines Paul, the cacophony of sound from displaying waders is one of natures wonders and has to be experienced to be appreciated. A Black Grouse lek is another, I help with counts and monitor them, Hen Harriers are almost extinct up here to many grouse moors I do a lot of volunteer work over the winter months and the decline in numbers over the 12 or more years I have been involved is very noticeable.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We too live in a beautiful area, right on the edge of The Galloway Forest park. We have lots of buzzards, red kites & a pair of nesting ospreys. The ospreys have a permanent camera which can be viewed from The Round House at loch Doon (Google it if you wish) & we understand how endangered these magnificent raptors really are. I am aware of the danger to these birds from humans & it makes me ashamed to be a human.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
My favourite time of the year here in the Northern Pennines Paul, the cacophony of sound from displaying waders is one of natures wonders and has to be experienced to be appreciated. A Black Grouse lek is another, I help with counts and monitor them, Hen Harriers are almost extinct up here to many grouse moors I do a lot of volunteer work over the winter months and the decline in numbers over the 12 or more years I have been involved is very noticeable.

Yes its lovely Stewart.
We had a couple of people around here last year monitoring hen harriers from a raptor group as they said it was a roosting place for them. I chatted regularly to one guy who was renting a nearby cottage.
We also had a guy from the RSPB round monitoring birds, mammals etc, he even had to mark my 2 dogs down as predators.
The black grouse are great to watch, we have even had them in the garden when there has been bad snow, what more could you possibly ask for.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What's this the smug corner of MoHo fun where I live :)

Only joking you people seem to be living somewhere quite magnificent and fair play to you (y)

Sometimes people don't appreciate what's around them.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
The scum who run and manage these "Grouse moors" get tax breaks as well, so you and I are subsidising their awful behaviour.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have lived in the same home close to the broads for 35 years and the variety of wildlife has become much more varied .
As well as Barn Owls, Little Owls Tawny Owls, Snipe, Heron, Marsh Harrier, Mallard and other game birds aplenty, Kingfisher and many other small birds , in recent years Buzzards now appear daily, also Egret and a few days ago a Red Kite appeared for the first time.
Great to watch.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Love visiting Norfolk to birdwatch Larry, as you say great variety of birds and crucially very few driven grouse moors.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Love visiting Norfolk to birdwatch Larry, as you say great variety of birds and crucially very few driven grouse moors.

There seems to be no persecution of birds of prey here as most shooting is of farm bred pheasant and partridge which are not threatened.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back