Rapido water filler cap (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Help please with what should be a very simple thing: The water filler cap on my 2006 786F.
I cannot get it to lock securely. Whether it is in the locked,or unlocked, position it is still possible to remove the cap from its hole.
With the cap removed,it seems that the locking mechanism works,but there is not anything on the cap,or in the hole,to secure it.
I guess this cap is used across most Rapido's of this age.
These pics may help. Thanks.
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bog standard water cap and easily replaced under £20 but they all wear out eventually. i dont bother locking the water

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I am watching with interest as my Rapido 7066 water filler cap is exactly the same. As far as I can see when locked the outer part of the filler cap should rotate freely. Although mine rotates it is quite stiff and there is enough friction to turn the inner part of the filler and open it. I hope that makes sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Doesn't make any difference what make of van you have. They're a standard cap and most of them have this problem,if you put the cap in hot water it will probably lock for a shot time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can see the 3 lugs on the cap that are meant to locate in the 3 slots in the van part but cannot see the slots in the van part ?

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks. Not just my problem then!
My concern is not that Funsters may add to my tank,it is that the cap falls out while I'm going along,never to be seen again.
I think I'll try and get a replacement,as still new to this game and want to keep everything up to scratch as far as I can.
Probably have loads more daft questions after our first " trial" night which will be this Saturday.
Many thanks.
Pod.
PS. If any Funsters would like to add to my tank,my preference is for Bombay Sapphire,not what Mr Gellyneck had in mind:D:LOL:;)

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I can see the 3 lugs on the cap that are meant to locate in the 3 slots in the van part but cannot see the slots in the van part ?
Aha! That's the point,there aren't any,and I can't see that there ever have been. So how did it ever fit/lock properly?
Still a bit of a mystery. I don't like mysteries,well,not ones I can't solve.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
PS. If any Funsters would like to add to my tank,my preference is for Bombay Sapphire,not what Mr Gellyneck had in mind:D:LOL:;)
Correct. I was thinking more of a quality gin, Tanqueray 10!:p

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you take the locking part off the cap you can fit the piece with the three notches out back on the filler neck.

The one on mine comes off sometimes I may silicone it into place :)

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Mr Lunarman you're a genius! Never thought of that possibility.Thanks very much to you,and for all the other posts.
This forum is brilliant.
:D:D:D:D

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
View attachment 187163 View attachment 187164 Hi

The problem is that the locking part of the filler hole has come away and is locked to the cap. It should look like the pictures above

And this will probably be why ours has just developed the very same fault. Unlockable and spins around without being securable. I shall need to go explore first hand before I commit twenty of my finest English pounds to a replacement cap!

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
And this will probably be why ours has just developed the very same fault. Unlockable and spins around without being securable. I shall need to go explore first hand before I commit twenty of my finest English pounds to a replacement cap!
Ha!
Well I’ve still got mine,and put the £20 towards our life of luxury and excess,haha.
And it’s still working,just,following my original post in 2017

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have a similar problem, in that the locking barrel comes out completely when the key is inserted and turned, and now doesn't lock at all.
I think there is a special key that is inserted, just the once, when the lock barrels are installed at the factory.
This special key, forces out a couple of locking pins at the rear of the lock barrel to stop it coming out.
But who & where does one get such a key?
I will have to ask dealer, but wont hold my breath.
LES

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a similar problem, in that the locking barrel comes out completely when the key is inserted and turned, and now doesn't lock at all.
I think there is a special key that is inserted, just the once, when the lock barrels are installed at the factory.
This special key, forces out a couple of locking pins at the rear of the lock barrel to stop it coming out.
But who & where does one get such a key?
I will have to ask dealer, but wont hold my breath.
LES
If you find out, let us know. I have the same problem on my gas locker lock.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Nope, having checked our water filler cap the locking ring is still firmly in place on the neck of the filler spout, so it's not that :unsure: The sprung inner on the cap itself is still moving up and down, and the key barrel appears to turn correctly so I am a little mystified as to why it isn't locking anymore. I'll have another proper furkle around with it and see what I can discover.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Looks exactly the same as the one on my Swift. Might sound daft but I was told when mine did the same thing to give it a good wash in very hot water. It worked and I've not had a problem with it since.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Finally, given the inner part a good thwack and a squirt of WD40, and lo and behold, it's all miraculously working again now!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If these caps won’t lock, putting them in hot water for a while does help, it sorted mine many years ago.

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Nice to see an old thread revisited. :giggle: :giggle:
Mine has been playing up again recently so I’m going to try the very hot water method. Too tight to buy a new one anyway!:rolleyes:

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Nice to see an old thread revisited. :giggle: :giggle:
Mine has been playing up again recently so I’m going to try the very hot water method. Too tight to buy a new one anyway!:rolleyes:
For what it's worth I also squidged the inner white sealing ring up and down several times with my fingers on either side of the central post, dunno if that made a difference or not but it might have aided the freeing up and eventual "working again" element :unsure:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very useful old thread. I have the same problem with my water filler on my Hymer.
Locking it is useful as I had to stop an over efficient pump attendant in Spain filling my water tank with diesel. Luckily the lock was working then.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
In July, my water filler cap had the opposite problem. It refused to unlock. I had to fill the fresh tank via the cleaning cover inside the van.

I managed to get the filler cap off in the late evening when everything had cooled down. The hot sunshine on that side of the van might have been part of the problem.

I used a silicon spray (not WD40) on the cap and it now works much better and will also lock properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back