Rapido seats .....way too high (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hoping to buy a used Rapido Le Randonneur. Like the layout on the 7086 F,but they all seem to have the same problem,which is:

Being a lanky old git,I find the top of the windscreen is too low i.e. The seat is too high,so my head is poking up into the roof,and this will mean stooping my head to see the road ahead.....not good!
So I need to find a way of reducing the height of the seat.
I have been in touch with Dave Newell,who has helped,and since then have been told by the dealer that they can remove the swivel mechanism and give me an extra 5cm. This doesn't seem a lot!

Any ideas please about getting the seat lower,or replacing it entirely with something lower?
Thanks folks!

OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Great,thanks I will have a good look at them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Had lowered seatboxes put in my Citroen, wasn't cheap but well worth it in my opinion - might only be a couple of centimeters but it puts the seats back to their original height before the swivels are added...

Think mine were branded "Sportscraft".

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I looked at a couple of Rapidos before we bought our Hymer, I could barely get my legs under the steering wheel, possibly a problem also caused by too high seats

But having said that Bev at 5' 7", so no shorty, can't reach the floor comfortably on the passenger side, but can drive it which is rather odd.

Personally I wouldn't want to remove the swivel seat option, that takes away too much function in most layouts :)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think the one you are after is a coachbuilt C class isn't it? Try looking at an equivalent A class which has a higher windscreen.
Yes,thanks Peterc it's a coachbuilt. I would have an A Class tomorrow, but the Duchess,aka SWMBO,doesn't like them,says they don't look nice!!! After 36 years I know when to give up the argument!

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As an alternative to reducing height at bottom what about at top instead?

upload_2017-7-27_21-34-55.jpeg

Sorry!:getmecoat:

Agree, removing seat swivels significantly changes living space when parked up.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yes,thanks Peterc it's a coachbuilt. I would have an A Class tomorrow, but the Duchess,aka SWMBO,doesn't like them,says they don't look nice!!! After 36 years I know when to give up the argument!
That must be a lady thing, as I love the look of A-Class vans, but my ex absolutely hated the look of them and wouldn't be seen dead in one.

As you can see from my van list, it was an argument I never won :whistle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,I will try to keep the swivel seat,but not at the expense of being able to see the road ahead!:D
I feel the swivel seat is more important where the seats in the living area are shorter,but if we go for the model with long bench seats it shouldn't be a problem

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The duchess has been looking at the Marceleisure link sent through by Pappajohn and has given it the Royal Blessing,so looks like we shall be going down that road...........and be able to see where we are going which is always useful.
It's been a long road,deciding what to buy,but I think we are nearly there,and looking forward to our adventures at home and abroad.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As an alternative to reducing height at bottom what about at top instead?

View attachment 176828

Sorry!:getmecoat:

Agree, removing seat swivels significantly changes living space when parked up.
Nice bit of kit. Is it just for motorhome buyers or can it be used for dealers,or maybe politicians......

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We too are concerned about lack of visibility from driving seat. One fear we have about lowering the seat either by removing the swivel or by getting a lower seat box , or both, is that driving position will be compromised as we have a cupboard behind the driving seat which means that we cannot move the seat back.
With a lower seat where will our long legs go?
Would be very interested in trying out the driving position if anyone who has done it is around at Malvern.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes Riverbankannie,that thought also occurred to me,unfortunately in the middle of last night when I should have been asleep!
Actually I don't think it will be a problem. I have grown accustomed to driving with my knees under my chin when necessary and it doesn't bother me too much as can always stop for a leg stretch.
But driving when I can't see half what's in front of me because I'm too high up is a step too far.
Hope you find a solution.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes,thanks Peterc it's a coachbuilt. I would have an A Class tomorrow, but the Duchess,aka SWMBO,doesn't like them,says they don't look nice!!! A!
She should have gone to specsavers ....... To us they look much better than the "box attached to a van" look of C classes. With an A class you can't see the join.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You've probably thought of this but ..........
Will your solution be easily reversible? If not, will it give you any issues when selling it on\ trading it in in future?:unsure:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Podney
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
You've probably thought of this but ..........
Will your solution be easily reversible? If not, will it give you any issues when selling it on\ trading it in in future?:unsure:
Thanks Gellyneck,good point.
I've bought the Rapido,pick it up end of the month. They are putting in the lower seat box,and we'll see whether the swivel mechanism needs to come out. If so,I'll keep it then it can go back in when/ if we sell the van.
Hoping to keep this motorhome for many years,but I guess lots of owners say that!
The seat box is from Marcle Leisure,as in the link from Pappajohn,thank you sir.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There are options available to make the seating better. You can fit lower seat bases which just puts them back to where they were before they fitted the swivel. This works as I have done it. The view is better as I am just over 6' tall. The problem you then have is the seat surrounds don't fit so out came the saw and I cut the bottom off the plastic all the way round. You do have to make some adjustments and the front drop down lid does not fit.

Don't forget you can move the steering wheel up towards you. A lot of the showrooms have them down as it's easier to spin the seats round. This gives you more room for the knees.

You can look at an A Class which is not built using the standard Fiat front cab, This is great as you get a really nice big screen and you can see everything. Ours also has Aguti Seats which are not the standard ones that come with the Ducato cabs. When the converters buy the chassis for an A Class it comes without seats so they have to provide them. Aguti who supply Laika and many others supply them in the same colours as the rest of the upholstery.

The Aguti seats fit on the same base as the Fiat ones it's just that they are not as deep in the base as the Fiat ones. SWMBO can touch the floor with these which she could not do in the previous MH's. They are far more comfortable as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back