RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
We are looking for advise on buying our first motor home ??
After visiting the lincoln show at the end of last month and many dealers up and down the country i think we have narrowed it down to two Motor homes !!!!

The rapido 986M OR The Autotrail 634L ??? I'm limited on size because of storage and engine size because i will be pulling a trailer,the spec is as follows:

Max length 22 FT
2.5 Minimum engine size
Capable of towing a 1500kg braked trailer
shower
Fixed bed if possible
U or L shaped lounge (no railway seating)

Looking forward to your comments good or bad, all advise will be most welcome as we are virgins at buying a motor home

Regards phill & tracey

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Got a Pilote - so if that is the choice then it is the Rapido. They look nice as well...........

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Can't really comment on a comparison but can advise that I received exceptional service from Auto-Trail when I owned a Cheyanne. The MH mysteriously developed a small fracture in the side panel at 5/6 years old and the side was totally replaced by Auto-Trail at no cost to me without question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I don.t know about the autotrail, but the rapido 986m only has two belted seats, even though is a four berth
thats why we did not buy one when we were looking, bought a Rapido 941M instead :D:D.

last van was a rapido also.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
eeeerrrrrrrrmmmmmm let me think

ok totally unbiased but I think Rapido
but only if it suits you, sir(y)

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
When I was buying my first motorhome the best piece of advice I received was do not buy new. The reason given was that until you have had one it is difficult to work out exactly what you want I.e fix bed v make up, garage v limited storage, payload requirements etc.
I took that advice and glad I did as my first (second hand) motorhome was too large, not enough payload, no fixed bed etc etc., despite all those still had great time in it..
Now purchased a brand new one which with a bit of experience should meet our needs and guess what - it is a Rapido!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
All this makes me even more surprised that there isn't a UK owners club. I've had to join a french owners forum to exchange/share ideas. Anything I post on here as an alteration also gets shared with mes amis and is received warmly

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys welcome to fun. My UNBIASED and unprofessional opinion for what its worth, just looking at the two examples I've found on ebay, Rapido and Auto trail
two quite different vans, one A Class, one Coachbuilt, Ive owned both types, and both have their merits, quite a difference in price:whistle:, it says the Auto trail is 23ft, Rapido has a 2.7cc Merc base, Auto trail is 2.3cc Fiat, given the choice I would take the bigger engine every time(y) of course you may find a 634L with the 2.8cc engine;) I'm guessing the Rapido is fully winterised, a real plus IMO(y), I'm also guessing the Auto trail isn't winterised so not so good(n) but if you do not use your motorhome in the winter or go skiing then not such a biggy:) looks like only two belted seats in both:whistle:

Your choice, are you buying new or second hand?? make note of stuff that's important to you, air con for instance IMO is a must, cruise control is very nice and solar is handy. looking at the two examples I would plump for the Rapido(y)

Whatever you decide do not rush into it, do your homework and look at plenty(y)

PS. Before you ask I have a Hymer.
PPS. Spend the tenner, worth every penny(y)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
All this makes me even more surprised that there isn't a UK owners club. I've had to join a french owners forum to exchange/share ideas. Anything I post on here as an alteration also gets shared with mes amis and is received warmly

We were members of this club when we had our Rapido 909M
http://www.rapidoandsilvercaravanningclub.co.uk

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I would love to own a Rapido 986m, can't say I feel the same about an Autotrail...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi,

We're quite new to mh's but have over 20years caravan experience - all british built - sad to say I'd go with the Rapido, needless to say we haven't bought a british mh.
:(

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't know the models but please don't be put off Autotrail.

We have a 2013 Scout and are delighted with it.

We had a Burstner A class before it and I prefer the Autotrail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back