Rapido electric Step & Wiring Diagrams (1 Viewer)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi.
Hope all well with you and yours.

Have recently purchased a 2020 Rapido 8096 and can't find any info on:

Decent circuit diagram for the electrical systems.

Simple thing like should the electric step auto retract when you lock the van? It pops out when you unlock. The old Kon-tiki step deployed or retracted when unlocking/locking. Made it easy to see if you'd locked the van before walking away (walking boots stored in the garage and put on outside)

any comment much appreciated

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Double Bump

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Have you checked your Rapido manual?. It's not an automatic given that the door closes the step but it is normal practice on R-V's? All mine had that feauture?. My Rapido (current)does not have a foldout step.

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Have you checked your Rapido manual?. It's not an automatic given that the door closes the step but it is normal practice on R-V's? All mine had that feauture?. My Rapido (current)does not have a foldout step.

Hi PeteH

thanks for the reply, we don’t have a folding step as such it’s a slide out but to all intents it’s the same thing.

previous kontiki step operated when you locked unlocked but this Rapido only deploys the slide out step on unlocking. When locking it stays out. used this to check I’d actually locked before walking away and having put the keys in the rucksack.

step does retract when the engine started.

there are a few things I like to see how there wired, the basic block diagram lack the detail I’d like.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi PeteH

thanks for the reply, we don’t have a folding step as such it’s a slide out but to all intents it’s the same thing.

previous kontiki step operated when you locked unlocked but this Rapido only deploys the slide out step on unlocking. When locking it stays out. used this to check I’d actually locked before walking away and having put the keys in the rucksack.

step does retract when the engine started.

there are a few things I like to see how there wired, the basic block diagram lack the detail I’d like.
Another thought,? The Americans, had it wired so that there was a switch (on the dash) which you could use to keep the step "out" when on site. This was overridden by the starting of the Engine?.

Have you tried Googling Rapido wiring Diagrams?. The odd ones of all types pop up, sometimes you can get lucky if someone has had issues?.

This looks promising. Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Expletive.....

I tried google and it turned up diddly squat. Thanks will have a troll through those.

as far as aware no switch.

cheers, happy Sunday

Richard 100

Free Member
Oct 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Randell C. and others.

I am a new member, and this is my first posting.

I'm having exactly the same step issue on my 2020 Rapido M96.
Dealer seams unable to help. (being in New Zealand doesn't make things easier)

Did you manage to sort the problem ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Richard 100

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Hi Richard

No haven’t managed to progress this any further, will advise and update post if any more info forth coming

welcome to Motorhome Fun,

Strangly reassuring to know it’s not Just me and make no difference if upside down!

:giggle::giggle:;):rolleyes::cool:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 2016 Rapido with a slide out electric step. But it's a panel van conversation, rather than a coach built - a V68.

Our step neither comes out or retracts when the doors are unlocked or locked.

It does retract automatically when the engine is started (an alarm also).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's the normal arrangement a "step deployed" microswitch tells the step control circuit that the step is out. This switch, mounted behind the slide-out part, also causes the alarm to sound. My first step, whether a circuit diagram is available or not, would be to check the function of the microswitch. You can locate an exploded drawing of the step via Google. It is more than likely an Omnistep. The drawing below is a common wiring arrangement for double, single, and slide-out, steps. Additional sophistication is often added by converters (one-touch switches for example).

1602804062447.png

Last edited:

Richard 100

Free Member
Oct 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all.

Many thanks to every one and their hints.

I decided the only way to try and sort this is was by having a go myself, (I'm a retired electrician) and hunting down some basic step wiring diagrams.
I then found the control relays for the step in the left hand side small locker where the fuses, charger etc are.
3 x relays in total.
1 x for in, and obviously one for out.
The in / out ones are controlled by the sw. just inside the habitation door as you would expect.
The third relay (on the left) is negative pulsed by the central locking.

This is the strange part as the same pulse is applied for locking and unlocking to this relay. (-ve voltage)
I stand corrected ! but it appears that a relay and a separate pulse are missing.

I have unpluged this relay and now rely on the door sws.
Step still retracts when the engine starts.

Tony, Our Rapido does not have an audible alarm so it appears that the micro sw. fitted is the -ve return for the audible alarm style.
As you said, "additional sophistication"

Below is the basic step control wiring which I found on Google, and also a photo of the relays.
The green wire on the left hand relay base is the negative input from the central locking.

Randall, mine being a Mercedes, and I presume yours is a Fiat, so there could be some differences here, but what I have found may be of some help.

I'm not saying I'm totally correct in all of my detective work, but its a start.

Say safe all.

Richard.

PS, I turned every thing up the other way and it made no difference.;)

Attachments

• Step_relays.JPG
    Step_relays.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Step relays .JPG
    Step relays .JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Richard.

Thanks. Haven't had any replies from fellow Rapido owners (owners club) as to whether the step should retract on locking.

Cheers

Randall

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back