Rapido drop down bed gas strut replacement. (1 Viewer)

Rob Sheldon

Free Member
Dec 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9083 df
Exp
10 years
Hi,

I am trying to replace the gas struts on my 9083 df drop down bed as they have failed. Im pretty handy but am struggling so wondered if anyone has experience of doing this.
I have removed the old struts fine. But I just cant manage to compress the struts enough to get them on. Even with the bed stripped down and jacked up as far as it will go to the roof so the strut would be at maximum length it is still about 20mm too long and impossible to compress that last 20mm. Any ideas?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have heard of people doing it with a cramp, but if it slips whilst fitting you have a chance of it killing you. My son an engineer in the oil business did mine for me 40mins both sides and i did explain how he did it about 3 years ago.The best i remember .He disconnected the strut on the drivers side and removed it ,then he put a couple of cushions on the dash .The bed is very heavy, unfastened the bottom ends .(Alan key)Drivers side only and dropped the bed onto the cushions .fitted the new strut .My only input was to crawl underneath the bed and lift the front of the bed just a few millimetres to allow him to reconnect .Then we pushed the front of the bed up slotted the arm onto the front pole and fastened it up.Then did the Passenger side the same .I have tried to contact my son to clarify but at this moment he is climbing a mountain somewhere so that is the best info i have at the moment .i did put the method on the forum at the time .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob Sheldon

Rob Sheldon

Free Member
Dec 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9083 df
Exp
10 years
I tried the ratchet strap method a while back. This just broke the ratchet strap. Anyway, even if it had managed to compress it then the strap would pull over the bolt hole preventing the bolt being inserted. Maybe the video is for a lesser compression strut. These ones on the bed are incredibly strong. I cant even get them to shift with a g or sash clamp. Thanks anyway though.
I will go and have a look at the feasibility of the method above right now and report back!

OP
OP
Rob Sheldon

Rob Sheldon

Free Member
Dec 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9083 df
Exp
10 years
Many thanks to treetops1 as the strut is now on. I think your son who is up the mountain may have found a slightly easier way than I just did but the basic concept worked. For any future reference. Remove old arm. As said above, cushions on dash. Lower bed. disconect large arm nearest windscreen from where it mounts to the bed (allen key) . Disconnect the two smaller arms at the top from each other. send the disconnected large arm upwards and push it hard. This allows the strut to be fitted. Then get your wife to be rady with the lower allen bolt. With a fair old bit of force push back down the large arm.. This is really difficult until you get nearly down, then when its past its pivot point it becomes easy. Then wife inserts bolt. Reconnect the two thin arms to each other which is easy. Job done.

Thanks so much for your help as we too are heading up a mountain next Saturday in the camper. Les Gets in the Alps for a weeks skiing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have heard of people doing it with a cramp, but if it slips whilst fitting you have a chance of it killing you. My son an engineer in the oil business did mine for me 40mins both sides and i did explain how he did it about 3 years ago.The best i remember .He disconnected the strut on the drivers side and removed it ,then he put a couple of cushions on the dash .The bed is very heavy, unfastened the bottom ends .(Alan key)Drivers side only and dropped the bed onto the cushions .fitted the new strut .My only input was to crawl underneath the bed and lift the front of the bed just a few millimetres to allow him to reconnect .Then we pushed the front of the bed up slotted the arm onto the front pole and fastened it up.Then did the Passenger side the same .I have tried to contact my son to clarify but at this moment he is climbing a mountain somewhere so that is the best info i have at the moment .i did put the method on the forum at the time .

I’d imagine being up a mountain and if you slip you have a chance of killing yourself too...:eek:

Life is a game of chance....:D2

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Well done Rob ,saved yourself at least —2men x4hrs -70hr each £560 +vat as quoted to myself by a well known dealer 3years ago .. - Enjoy your trip.Lol.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Well done replacing struts not a fun job anywhere, having done an estate car and my bongo roof struts. Needed proping up to stop twisting.
One at a time and the rachet strap method, (used carpet off cuts on ballends to stop balls going through the strap.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Its obviously harder than I thought.

Loosen nuts, then prop bed up with a piece of timber so that the struts are fully extended, take off end nearest windscreen first and fit new strut which are delivered fully extended.

Am I thinking it is easier than it really is/

Providing you order and receive the exact correct length struts.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Struts should only ever be fitted in the uncompressed , fully extended position.To anything. Trying to fit any fully compressed could quite likely kill/seriously injure you.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Struts should only ever be fitted in the uncompressed , fully extended position.To anything. Trying to fit any fully compressed could quite likely kill/seriously injure you.

Yes that what I though @gus-lopez , I was beginning to doubt myself after reading this thread.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
On each occasion i've replaced struts some compression is required to fit even in the fully extended position. Its the amount of force required that will differ between applications, I wouldn't put any one off trying, just be prepared. one end or tother may be the best to start. I have not done the precise job this thread relates to you may be lucky and little compression is required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back