Rapido A Class mirror removal advice please (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is it an easy job taking off one of these mirrors from a Rapido A class? (See pic below) I have a narrow gate to get through when I take our Rapido home, if I loosen the two allen bolts and push both mirrors in as far as they will go I have a circa 3mm-4mm gap each side between the mirrors and the oak gate posts! I am not exaggerating. If it’s a straight forward job of unbolting it off the vehicle and uncoupling wire connectors and reversing the procedure to replace I’ll have a go rather than risk cracking the mirrors casing. Our Rapido is a 9066df.

Attachments

• D3B7AD55-CB26-447E-A00F-A8AE40AB052D.jpeg
    D3B7AD55-CB26-447E-A00F-A8AE40AB052D.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 214

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have a Rapido with coach mirrors.
Personally I would be concerned at repeated removal and re fitting. I don’t know what’s behind the outer skin, must be some kind of captive nuts.

Will the mirrors not swivel enough to allow the arms to totally fold back?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like Rich, I would be concerned, if the fixing work loose you could be in for a serious repair bill also just loosening like you keep doing is risky. Also what about the possibility of water ingress via the threaded inserts. I would think the safest option would be to modify the gate posts, could you not just notch the posts to clear the mirrors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a Rapido with coach mirrors.
Personally I would be concerned at repeated removal and re fitting. I don’t know what’s behind the outer skin, must be some kind of captive nuts.

Will the mirrors not swivel enough to allow the arms to totally fold back?
Thanks for your response and apologies for the late reply, I've been traveling and it's Christmas!

I loosen the two allen headed bolts that allow me to swing the arm as close to the bodywork as possible, that is with the mirror hitting the side of the van this then gives me the 3mm-4mm gap to get the van through the gates..................it's a bloody nightmare every time and it looks like I will have to live with it.

Thanks and have a great Christmas.

Phil

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Like Rich, I would be concerned, if the fixing work loose you could be in for a serious repair bill also just loosening like you keep doing is risky. Also what about the possibility of water ingress via the threaded inserts. I would think the safest option would be to modify the gate posts, could you not just notch the posts to clear the mirrors.
Thanks for your response and apologies for the late reply, I've been traveling and it's Christmas!

The gates and posts are oak and I would have to notch both the gates which in truth would look terrible they are six food hand made gates even if I persuaded myself to have a chunk taken off both sides I doubt if I could persuade my wife! It's looking like I will have to live with it or buy a MH where the mirrors fold right in. Thanks, have a great Christmas.

Phil

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think I would consider a careful removal of a slither of oak from the gateposts perhaps with a chainsaw provided not close to hinge location.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally i would widen the gap by moving at least one gatepost and fitting longer hinges to take up the gap

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
by the way, last time i heard, rapido mirrors were £1400 EACH

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
if you remove the plastic casing from back of mirror(look at glass, behind at top of glass 2 black screws)
then once off, look up to where mirror is connected to the arm, you will see a 6mm hex bolt, undo this & the whole the
mirror spins on the arm.

Karl

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ohh I've just had a brain wave, I know make the best of it as they don't come along very often :)

You could remove the mirrors and replace the bolts with threaded studs.
Loctite these into place and then you could use nuts to hold the mirrors in place.
This would be a lot more durable in my opinion.

HTH (y)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Thinking laterally, could you fit wheel guides to both inner sides of the gate Posts?Maybe 2” square box section that is an exact fit to your wheels when centred between the posts and then tapers out slightly as you move away from the posts. This would guide your van in between the posts. It would probably squeal a bit on the tyres, but this could be overcome by fitting vertical rollers instead of the box section. You would have to have space either side of the gateway to approach it in a straight line.

Cille5

Free Member
Aug 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido 992M A class
My electric mirror doesent work on left side.

Does anybody know how I can take mirror away?
I took cover away, but I don't know how to remove mirror.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 111
  • peili.jpg
    peili.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 114

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
My electric mirror doesent work on left side.

Does anybody know how I can take mirror away?
I took cover away, but I don't know how to remove mirror.
I have never done it, but It looks like you remove the little cross head screws would release the glass housing so you could get to the bolts we can see the ends of

Cille5

Free Member
Aug 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido 992M A class
I took four screws away, but still can't open mirror.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I think, if memory serves, the actual mirror just pulls away from the centre cup…
The three Torx screws hold the motors for the mirror adjustment.

Sep 24, 2010
Funster No
hello , I know its a long time ago but I have the same pilote white mirrors as you . I've just broken the glass on the drivers side and was wondering if you know where i might get a replacement glass from and what the make is
thanks
fred

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I have a pilote galaxy, I have the original posters problem except I’m actually to wide to get in my shed , what I do is swing one forward and the other to the rear so they are offset , once the first mirror is past the post I just move the MoHo so the other one passes the post , tight but I manage

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
hello , I know its a long time ago but I have the same pilote white mirrors as you . I've just broken the glass on the drivers side and was wondering if you know where i might get a replacement glass from and what the make is
thanks
fred

Our Pilote (2008) has Arcol mirrors on,the back of the casing was marked,

1B271356-FD56-4E44-A629-E89EAF57B55C.png

I got a replacement glass from

Sep 24, 2010
Funster No
thanks but the white cover has a U and an S on it and its a 2015 pilote A class . I've just been on the carlyle website but finding the right one without the makers name seems to be impossible

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back