Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting one this morning, we have been locked down, and the Motorhome has not been started since late February, after it`s MOT.

Went to take it out, Removed the EHU. and Tried the starter. "click". again? "click", and a third time. Click?. So checked battery voltage on Panel 12.9V. should be OK.?. Thinking maybe?, the battery was low? (not likely, But?) I went under the hood and was trying to connect the Boost cable but it would not uncover, (apparently it is push and twist?). Went back in the M-H and tried the key again, just for luck really. and Bingo! it started. Had a Good run out, and gave the Engine a workout, to help the DPF. No more start issues?. Theory?. Possible just a "sticky" solenoid, from lack of use?. Maybe? we shall see.

Might put the Code reader on it, but don`t expect to see anything.

Question for anyone with a Rapido 9M series. and the Schreiber control panel, I assume the EHU charges both battery sets? but does it do it selectively. (say like a B2B might) ?.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not familiar with the Rapido electrics setup, but on my Burstner, if the cab battery is a bit flat (happened when we had the radio on a lot) once the ignition is turned on, the cab battery will draw power from the hab batteries (you can watch the amps migrating from the hab batteries on the display)
I wonder if something similar to this is what has happened on yours, allowing you to eventually start up ?

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not familiar with the Rapido electrics setup, but on my Burstner, if the cab battery is a bit flat (happened when we had the radio on a lot) once the ignition is turned on, the cab battery will draw power from the hab batteries (you can watch the amps migrating from the hab batteries on the display)
I wonder if something similar to this is what has happened on yours, allowing you to eventually start up ?
Don`t happen to know who makes your Control panel?. Mine is a Schreiber?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We`ll have to wait and see, if it happens again. And I do anticipate taking it out again in a week or so. I will have it looked at. But it did seem a bit "weird". No Start, all the signs of "low battery" despite having been on EHU. and then? Starts as if nothing was wrong?.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
sounds more like the solenoid or the cable connection to me. I used to get it on my last van & that was being used daily. waggle the lead & away we went. Once I crimped a new terminal on & ensured it was a tight fit on the spade all was good.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our Hymer on a 2006 Mercedes chassis had exactly the same for a six month period, always started eventually but very disconcerting

Eventually fitted new starter motor, not happened since 👍

I don’t do technical but the bit where the electrics connect on the SM were actually charred due to heat apparently

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My money's on a sticky solenoid, especially after such a long lay off.

A suitable length of wood (if it can't be 'Got at)' and a 'soft' hammer usually does the trick.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It’s A Mercedes !

I have had no end of the issues with Merc sprinters including the one you mention.

move just changed a battery on. 7g-Tronic to cure ECU issues.

2006 on Sprinters do not work well with Batteries that are not 100% healthy.
That sounds a bit like Jaguars..... low battery there throws up all sorts of scary error codes.

Luckily the solar keeps all the batteries topped up on mine but interesting to hear about issues like this

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have an open mind at present on this. But the Solenoid/Starter would become a suspect, as might the Chassis Battery. (which is of Unknown Age, on a 10 years old Vehicle). I have had the Rapido just over the year now. (March 19) this being the first time it had even given indication of issues. (unlike my last Fiat! ERG, Fuel Filter and Gearbox rebuild Twice)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a 999m and had exactly the same problem. It needed a new starter motor, and no problem since.
The solar charges the leisure batteries and once they get to 13.6v or above the vehicle battery as well. If however the vehicle battery is very flat, below 12v, then it doesnt get charged, possibly a safety feature to prevent the leisure batteries being dragged down as well.
The charging electronics are CBE I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back