Rapido 9083df heating thermostat (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have the Truma C 6002EH heating and hot water system. The heating works well but can't be adjusted using the inner ring control, it justs runs full bore. The truma manual says there is a thermostat installed somwhere in the motorhome , but the Rapido manual makes no mention of it. Anyone know where it might be, or if there is one? It's a 2007 vehicle.

Cheers
Sid

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
I have Rapido 972m with same Truma. as far as I understand it thermostat is in the controller/switch. I turn the outer ring to either 40 or 60 degree and then turn the inner controller [nmbrd 1 to 5] till I hear the fan cut in and then progressively adjust it according to my separate, and nothing to do with the Truma, digital clock / thermometer.

it will come on full bore at the start if the inner controller is set high, say to 5, but will calm down as the temperature is reached. I find it struggles to cope with anything more than a 8 to 10 degree difference in outside and inside temps.

hope this is helpful.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
On my Rapido
The iner ring 1-5 is for heating only the outer ring is for heating + warm water or warm water only.
When you look at the controle the right hand light {orange} is heating
The left is warm water {if it goes red the heater is not working}

There can also be a proplem if there is air in the system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for your replies. So it seems the thermostat is situated in the control panel and there is no remote sensor in the motorhome. The problem I have is that rotary switch, numbered 1-9, won't control the temperature, ie the heating stays on permanently.
However it does seem strange that the truma manual has a picture of the room temperature sensor and says it's position is determined by the vehicle manufacturer.

williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Heating

If you mean the thermostat for the heating there is a external sensor if it's an a- class you should have a sensor in the front drop down bed it's like a little black button in the center of the bed. This is a thermostat to stop the heating running when it gets to the temp set buy the outer ring on the heater control. I don't know if this is what you are looking to find.:whatthe:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
In the 786F, the temperature sensor is a little black plastic button above the habitation door :thumb: I'd be surprised if you haven't got one somewhere... :Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
The thermostat in question is this little black button, ours is just above the habitation door.

Not much you can do with it though

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If you mean the thermostat for the heating there is a external sensor if it's an a- class you should have a sensor in the front drop down bed it's like a little black button in the center of the bed. This is a thermostat to stop the heating running when it gets to the temp set buy the outer ring on the heater control. I don't know if this is what you are looking to find.:whatthe:

Yes thats where ours is in the drop down bed.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps the temperature sensor has failed? If so, I believe you can get replacements. Click this link and it's the fifth item down.
http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/gb/trumatic_c/zubehoer_c.html
Spares are available from places such as LeisureShop Direct.

Another thought - if the sensor is above the door (as most seem to be) make sure it is not in a draught when you are running the heating. Obvious I know, but if the heating is on and the door is slightly open, it may not shut down!

williamb

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
What I would do in your case is locate the sensor start up the heating allow to run for five minutes get an hair drier and just blow warm air onto sensor if heating stops sensor ok if not sensor had it. Sometimes sensor seems to
To be in coldest part of the van and that's why heating does not shut off.:shout:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Auto-Trail chose to mount the sensor in the Comanche above the sink drainer, next to the cooking area. There is also an opening kitchen window next to it, and the roof extractor fan above it. :Doh:
It would have made more sense to mount it somewhere in the living end of the MH above the cab area.

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks all, I always wondered what that black button was on the underside of the bed!

I disconnected and reconnected it but the inner ring still failed to adjust the heating even when the sensor was warmed with a hair dryer, so I suspect the sensor has failed.

Cheers
Sid

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well I bought a new sensor and installed it but no joy. Tried the hairdryer as suggested but the heating still won't turn off. Assuming I haven't got two duff sensors, would it be a fault with the two ring heating control ring. There's some pretty complicated wiring behind it!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If the heater will not turn off ,i assume you can turn it down using the central knob on your heater controls if you turn it down and it keeps going you will need a new switch .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cant help on the ring control.... Mine has the ALDE central heating by radiators..

But as others have said the sensor in an "A" class is in the drop down bed near the windscreen...

Just as a could be check the wiring has not been broken when letting the bed down and up...

I may be wrong but I`m given to understand that they work on the principal of a sort of diaphragm... when the diaphragm gets hot it expands and makes an electric contact which in turn sends electric to the cut off switch...

If the wire is broken it will think it is cold and wont be able to send the electric to the switch off...

Hope this makes sense... :RollEyes::thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Steveboy, I have the same heating in my van and it has coped very well down to -5 outside temperature. Try running it on electricity and gas together. I believe it would be okay down to -10 anyway and still be shirtsleeves inside.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If the heater will not turn off ,i assume you can turn it down using the central knob on your heater controls if you turn it down and it keeps going you will need a new switch .

No, operating the central ring has no effect. That seems to be where the problem may lie. Seeing how much the sensor was, I'm not looking forward to the price of a new controller!

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cant help on the ring control.... Mine has the ALDE central heating by radiators..

But as others have said the sensor in an "A" class is in the drop down bed near the windscreen...

Just as a could be check the wiring has not been broken when letting the bed down and up...

I may be wrong but I`m given to understand that they work on the principal of a sort of diaphragm... when the diaphragm gets hot it expands and makes an electric contact which in turn sends electric to the cut off switch...

If the wire is broken it will think it is cold and wont be able to send the electric to the switch off...

Hope this makes sense... :RollEyes::thumb:

I'll check the wires again but couldn't see anything initially.
I know a caravan/motorhome service chap who owes me a favour, so I think he will be my next port of call::bigsmile:

patmyhead

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2004
in my van the thermo is in the overhead bed ,i traced the wiring from this & found it goes nowhere near the boiler but terminates in a cupboard at the rear !!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
in my van the thermo is in the overhead bed ,i traced the wiring from this & found it goes nowhere near the boiler but terminates in a cupboard at the rear !!!!!!!!!
That's interesting. When my sensor was tested it was found that there was an interruption between the sensor and the control dials. Instead of spending a lot of time tracing the fault a new one was installed on the bulkhead between the seating area and the kitchen and the problem was solved.

Cheers
Sid

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back