Rapido 9000 DFH, Who does a Type Approved Tow Bar for this Vehicle (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Handy with a hacksaw and Welding Kit?. It`s Only lumps of steel. WE made our own!.

Pete

But it has to have a certification sticker. (y)

Over the years, I have always done my own fitting and electrics. This "Type Approval" is an absolute "CON". I make my own even now, for "Classic" cars. It`s Not "Rocket Science", It`s more like "proper" Engineering!.

Pete
Over here not only does it have to have the type approval sticker but it also has to be fitted by someone who can supply another piece of paper stating that it has been fitted correctly so that with both bits you can then have it added to the logbook.........................otherwise it isn't legal.:(

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I am at present waiting to hear back from the dealer about getting it fitted at factory as i can see no reason why it cannot be added as it is not being delivered till Jan2017 so should be plenty of time. If they still say no then i will take to Watling-Engineers as they are the closest to me and they did sound very confident on the phone when i spoke with them yesterday, PWS did say they can do it but no Type Approval which would not be good.
Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
But it has to have a certification sticker. (y)

Over here not only does it have to have the type approval sticker but it also has to be fitted by someone who can supply another piece of paper stating that it has been fitted correctly so that with both bits you can then have it added to the logbook.........................otherwise it isn't legal.:(

Yeh! well we all know the corruptness of the Spanish bureaucracy!. Ask any Ex Pat wanting to build his own place out there!.

Who`s talking ILLEGAL?. I just make my Own "Certificate". Take something like doing work on a gas system?. I am more qualified than ALL, the youngsters who service my Boiler, British Gas` Chief Engineer has the same qualification as I have!.

IMV. "type approval" has exactly the same status as the old derided "Demarcation", which was the cause of so many strikes from the 40`s to the 80`s. It was created in order for bureaucrats to be able to decide and control, thereby creating more bureaucratic empires (and by definition more Parasites), which it turn diminish the opportunity for creation amongst those who are qualified TECHNICALLY, and by so doing further hand more "power" to the "Big players", with the cash to jump though the hoops, it strangles technical innovation and independent thought, because those idea`s can never "come to market" without vast investment in so called "Testing".

I have a design on paper, for a trailer, which would answer many of the issues vis storage and possibly make "A" frames redundant!. But the cost of getting "type approval" would be bigger than the Mortgage was on my house!.

Pete

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@zac just a note to say that Gary the chap I recommended gets his kit from Watlings and it is all type approved and he would come to you to check what is required before ordering then fit it on your van at your home I think you'll find he works out quite a bit cheaper(y) and his work is guaranteed.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zac just a note to say that Gary the chap I recommended gets his kit from Watlings and it is all type approved and he would come to you to check what is required before ordering then fit it on your van at your home I think you'll find he works out quite a bit cheaper(y) and his work is guaranteed.
I will keep his number for when i get the MH, Watling have said they will probably need to fabricate some extensions but wont know till they see it, they can still do it though which is good.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

On a Rapido A class the chassis pieces need fabricating to suit the individual van. They aren't just pick up from a shelf and bolt on.

Unless your man has a full engineering workshop in the back of his van I don't think he's going to be doing this on anyones driveway. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I had mine fitted on the Rapido 7065 by Towtal type approved they made the chassis extensions in the workshop, The 7065 as got a long overhang and the alko chassis stops just behind the back axle, been towing the car on it for three years all over UK and France cost £800.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
On a Rapido A class the chassis pieces need fabricating to suit the individual van. They aren't just pick up from a shelf and bolt on.

Unless your man has a full engineering workshop in the back of his van I don't think he's going to be doing this on anyones driveway. (y)
Hymers are same,He use's Watlings as I mentioned earlier to manufacture it then fits it that's how he did ours which had extensions made which slid together and mated up with Alko Chassis.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hymers are same,He use's Watlings as I mentioned earlier to manufacture it then fits it that's how he did ours which had extensions made which slid together and mated up with Alko Chassis.

Take your word for it.

From experience not all Rapidos are identical underneath - there are various bits and pieces in the way that aren't always run in the same place - so it would be pretty difficult for anyone to reliably manufacture the extensions without seeing the vehicle first.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Take your word for it.

From experience not all Rapidos are identical underneath - there are various bits and pieces in the way that aren't always run in the same place - so it would be pretty difficult for anyone to reliably manufacture the extensions without seeing the vehicle first.
I did mention in my post #35 he looks at vehicle before ordering.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Take your word for it.

Watlings did say it will need some brackets fabricated as they said the alko chassis stops just before garage so extenstions are needed past this. I will of course call him once i have the vehicle and get a quote as these things are not cheap.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Good news the Dealer has been able to add the towbar to the order at a cost of £1200 which although expensive would be about the same a Watling quoted but the time i factor in fuel etc. This also ensure that the type approval is genuine.

Thanks for the all replies.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back