Rapido 803f (the story so far) (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Picked up mh on Tuesday from Brownhills on Tuesday morning and after handover, hung around playing with everything, making sure we were happy . Set off to get down to Taunton (Van Bitz) via Malvern. Alarm installed that day and we stayed the night. Discovered we appeared to have hot water coming both cold and hot taps. Headed back up the road to Brownhills for opening time and got it back late afternoon on Friday. Very impressed by the service we received as there were two problems, they had to fix. Also cured the blind we had managed to banjo. Set of again happy bunnies heading home to Aviemore via Rillington. Parked up and the gas warning light on the fridge was on and beeping. Had to switch it off as it would have keep us awake. Connected to electric and all was well. Set off for Edinburgh and relatives and phoning Brownhills en-route but on a Saturday unable to speak to anyone technical. Woke up Sunday and my relatives wanted to come in the van for a spin to check it out. Was astonished the difference the addition of having two extra people in the van made as it felt I couldn't pull the skin off a plate of custard. Dropped them off back home and set off round the circular but the van still felt strange. Looked down at the dashboard and saw a yellow engine management warning light showing. Experienced this in a previous van and kept driving to Perth keeping an eye on temperature and any red lights appearing on the dashboard.
Arrived in Perth and stopped for Retail therapy at Tacky Max to lift someone's spirits and it must have had a benificial effect on "Smiley Bear" as well because all of a sudden it was pulling as normal and glancing down at the dashboard got the thumbs up from it as well.
So we are just left with the gas problem in the fridge, but we are back in Aviemore so we are a long way away from Newark to get it fixed. Will see what they say later. There is a Rapido dealer in Perth but he refuses to do even warranty work on any van not bought from him directly. Now obviously I gave him the chance to give me a price for the 803f, but after two phone calls , nothing was forth coming, so gave up and bought from Newark.
The last mh we bought was a Dethleffs and we went round Europe visiting dealers in various countries getting warranty work done. How on earth Rapido let a dealer dictate to their customers what happens to them in Scotland I cannot comprehend. I would have thought that was illegal, but it would probably involve a court case to get recompense from someone for my inconvenience. Am I mentally tough enough to take it on. Will keep you posted.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Hi, hope your not put off your Rapido by these small early teething probs.
Regards your fridge, ours has the same problem but only when changing from 240v to gas. I've found that turning the fridge off completely, leaving for a few mins, turn it back on to gas, and it all works fine.
Hope it helps

Reactions: f6c
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Could also be that there is Air in the gas line - this can purged by turning on any adjacent gas appliance such as oven, heating etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Could also be that there is Air in the gas line - this can purged by turning on any adjacent gas appliance such as oven, heating etc.
My thoughts too ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How on earth Rapido let a dealer dictate to their customers what happens to them in Scotland I cannot comprehend. I would have thought that was illegal, but it would probably involve a court case to get recompense from someone for my inconvenience. Am I mentally tough enough to take it on. Will keep you posted.
Not illegal at all, they can choose who they 'look after' and who they don't, they aren't owned/franchised to manufacturers like a car dealership is who 'have' to do work on vehicles regardless of where they were bought. MH dealers are under no obligation to work on a vehicle not bought from them, some will, some won't. Far from ideal, but nothing you can do about it.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
W
Hi, hope your not put off your Rapido by these small early teething probs.
Regards your fridge, ours has the same problem but only when changing from 240v to gas. I've found that turning the fridge off completely, leaving for a few mins, turn it back on to gas, and it all works fine.
Hope it helps
Worked fine the first three days, followed the handbook instructions about switching on and off the fridge three times, till the fault was cleared. No change. Connected to electric and and then back onto gas. Warning sign comes on immediately. So doesn't seem to even get to the ignite phase of starting on gas. Not put off by problems , had the same with our first mh.
Heating and hob both working fine so I would assume that air is not the problem. Fault light comes on immediately and I don't hear the igniter doing anything at all.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Not illegal at all, they can choose who they 'look after' and who they don't, they aren't owned/franchised to manufacturers like a car dealership is who 'have' to do work on vehicles regardless of where they were bought. MH dealers are under no obligation to work on a vehicle not bought from them, some will, some won't. Far from ideal, but nothing you can do about it.
Assumed that mh dealers were the same as the cars. Not good news on that front then, but thank you for the information.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Assumed that mh dealers were the same as the cars. Not good news on that front then, but thank you for the information.
The sole UK N+B dealer refuses to work on or do warranty on what they term "grey imports" ie vans purchased from European dealers usually at significantly better pricing but certainly more knowledgeable about the product, fortunately when touring Europe the European dealers have far more foresight to engendering goodwill for them and the mark. We bowled into the Alicante dealer who replaced under warranty our insect screen at the door. Polite as you like nothing too much trouble, slot booked, in and out with a perfect job by skilled engineers in less than 2 hours. As Minxy says their choice.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Ok then, just an update. Apparently the control panel on the fridge has changed and although I did as instructed and pressed the on off button. I should have pressed the fault reading button. Fridge working and the mysterys of the Trauma timer, have also been explained to me.
Big thanks to Shawn at Brownhills , who knows his stuff and managed to get me to the finishing line, with my problems. Just have to get the van booked into Fiat and I will be fully compliant with the requirements for Happy Day today.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Speak to Anthony Pfaff at Rapido in Mayenne France. Tel. 33 - 0243 301070

Explain your predicament of living miles from Brownhills and he may be able to square it with the Scottish dealer or refer you to another third party dealer/repairer.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The problem is the dealer gets a lot less per hour for warrenty work so he only want to do his own as he did make a few thousand from selling it originally

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
It's nice to here good things about Brownhills instead of the usual rubbish you get from some people, we bought our Rapido from them and they have never been anything but on the ball, would we buy again from them, in a word, Yes.;)(y)
I hear what you are saying but we got speaking to a couple sat next to us and they told this tale of woe and despair. I politely asked which manufacturer they were talking and sadly it was Rapido. But at the moment I have only praise for them.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We have had our now for just under a year ,there have only been a couple of small niggles ,no problems with electronics or fridges etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back