Rapido 696F or 896F purchase (2 Viewers)

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Hi

Ive owned a Coachbuilt Motorhome but never and A Class and I am looking at a brand New Rapido 696F Coachbuilt and a New 896F A class which looks great both are almost identical in layout and Garage space available and measure the same in length, they are due too arrive at the dealership in the coming months, but im not sure which one to go for hmm

Ive read peoples praise of the attributes of an A class however I believe servicing an A Class is a consideration and im aware not all garages like them ! and also the large windscreen appreciate you have insurance for this and also any damage to an A class front end the parts are not off the shelf so to speak like the Fiat Ducato cab of the coachbuilt, There is also no drivers door on the A Class which Im not used too.

Has anyone got opinions experiences or even regrets when it comes to owning an A class has opposed to a coachbuilt they might want to share.

Thanks in advance

CJ

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Rapido A class - never had any servicing issues and it has had a cambelt and water pump changed at a main Fiat dealer . Can't comment about the difference between Coach built and A class as this was the first motorhome we bought and have no regrets. We love ours and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rapido.

Our insurance hasn't been an issue (C&MC) - £270 ish last year van is now 5 years old going on 6 and we have had it from new. Still impressed by the build quality and after sales support from Rapido. Just make sure your insurance cover for the windscreen is enough - it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't miss the driver’s door and the hab door is used the most. Personally I would be happy without a passenger door as well, as we hardly ever use it.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We love our 2002 Rapido series9 (Merc), which we've had for almost 15y now.

Windscreen cracked: £2997 (almost insured with Adrian Flux then discovered their max cover was £1500: things may have changed BUT I can see that you are aware of the problem).
The cab battery "died" aged 13y (not bad!). Getting it out was a nightmare: NationWide FlexPlus provides free cover and we were "rescued" by a strong young man who squeezed it through a gap with 2mm to spare. He replaced it with a battery which we bought from Halfords £30 cheaper than he could sell it to us.
The tail pipe on the exhaust rusted and dropped off: £300 for a bespoke stainless steel one.
Glow plugs and dual-mass flywheel replaced in October for £2000.

So no real complaints and the hab side has been very good, although some folk say that modern finishes are not so good as the older ones.

HOWEVER, Rapido have a bit of a reputation for payloads problems. I note that Brownhills are getting in the two models which you are considering and both are 3650kg. I would be reluctant to purchase either without a weighbridge certificate and a guaranteed payload. It is possible to get these on a heavy chassis which is 4.5T but may need to be ordered and therefore with a delay. You will need C1 on your licence in both cases so why go for a lowish margin? Alternatively, you might be looking at a different dealership.

Depending on your anticipated passenger potentials, why go for a drop down double bed if you don't need it? On the other hand, the view from an Aclass window is superb.

Your choice! Enjoy - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Spot on Rapido925M about payload. It is normally costs of my first beware with Rapido. We have 4.25 tonne chassis so no issues on that score but a good ' shout'!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Come on.....it’s a Rapido,either choice will be fandabadozi !

Ive got an “old” coachbuilt, 56 plate,good as new! ;)(y)

Enjoy!! :LOL:

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
9048 DF A class here, 2008 on a fiat 2.3, plated 3700 kg. Build quality is/was excellent back then. Buying it was the worst decision I have ever made, thanks to the dealer but now we have adressed all the things that they should have, we now absolutely love it. Build quality on a new one? don't know, but I would have an A class every time now, everthing else seems pokey and claustraphobic to me somehow. The only thing with a Rapido is, beer evaporates mysteriously and from what I can gather, this is across the range so be warned. Not had any grief with the servicing either.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
We've got the 886f and I would recomend the A-Class any day, you get more head room in the front and no forward visability issues. The hand break is a bit tight to get at but you soon adapt.

Like all Rapido's they are certainly well put together with timber that feels solid.

Our insurance didn't change when we upgraded from from our 5 yo Swift!!! Check your insurance policy re the windscreen each company varies.

Payload is an issue on both models. The "UK spec" extras (Oven 2nd battery etc) eat into the stated payload. Set up for a weekend with half a tank of fuel and 20L water, Me the Missus and dog, we weighed in at 3620kg. A bit of "unused item" rejections, lighter substitutions and an upgrade to 3700kg (paperwork exercise) sorted the problem. Beware the garage makes you want to "Just take that in case as there's room"

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have an A class Hymer which replaced our previous C class Adria. Layouts similar, but I much prefer the A class concept. When we turn round the cab seats it feels much more like a part of the habitation area rather than sitting in an extension. The cab area is also much warmer because of the better insulation and draft proofing and the fact that the Alde heating system extends into it. And the larger dashboard top, which occupies the external bonnet space in a C class, gives us lots more room to put cloths etc while we are parked up.

The views are also much better. Now I am looking out at a much larger panorama covering the roads ahead and to the side when we are driving as well as the scenery when driving and parked up. As somebody said to me, it is now like looking out of a panoramic window rather than a letterbox. And finally the passenger door window has a larger opening and makes leaning out to pay tolls on the continent much easier, so my navigator says.

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Looks like my choices between the 696F & 896F both due to arrive at the dealership have just been reduced, the dealer has just advised me that Rapido like other Manufacturers are cancelling Dealer orders by 20% due to Fiat recalling orders by that amount because they cannot fulfill orders, so the 696F amongst others has been removed from their order books by Rapido, the 896F however is built and on its way to the UK so I think we will be having that one lol. :LOL:

The reason is unknown but might be due to the lack of computer CHIPS which is affecting VW / Mercedes etc etc or some other parts issue caused by this pandemic.

Anyone no anything different ?

Rgds CJ

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Mentioned above by Bernie P our 696F is tight on payload when loaded for over a week away on a 3500Kg chassis. We are both over what manufacturers regard as a normal human size, so you may be able to gain 50Kg if you are the slimline model.
If you aren’t restricted to 3500 Kg then you should not have a problem in a 696 F unless you want to start loading it with electric bikes or scooters etc.. You will need more weight if your style of use involves more wilding and long season use in cooler climes (we do not travel with full water and only have one leisure battery. Our oven is an expensive and heavy cupboard for fruit and veg). I cannot remember what the weights were for the A class when we were looking but seem to recall there was not a lot in it. Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Looks like my choices between the 696F & 896F both due to arrive at the dealership have just been reduced, the dealer has just advised me that Rapido like other Manufacturers are cancelling Dealer orders by 20% due to Fiat recalling orders by that amount because they cannot fulfill orders, so the 696F amongst others has been removed from their order books by Rapido, the 896F however is built and on its way to the UK so I think we will be having that one lol. :LOL:

The reason is unknown but might be due to the lack of computer CHIPS which is affecting VW / Mercedes etc etc or some other parts issue caused by this pandemic.

Anyone no anything different ?

Rgds CJ
It's probably the stupidly high demand for the RH Drive chassis in the UK. When we ordered ours in Feb last year the dealers said that all 2020's RHD chassis production had already been allocated.

Enjoy the 896f you won't regret it. Also if you do Facebook join the Rapido Owners Group and maybe we'll meet up at a Rally somewhere.

OP
OP
C33JAY

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Our Replacement Van has arrived in the UK at last :giggle:(y)
Ruby 1.JPG
Ruby 2.JPG
Ruby 3.JPG

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Ooooh luverly!!!! Congratulations and best wishes for years of happy travels.
:giggle:(y):giggle:(y):giggle:(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back