Rant. Plonkers in camoflage (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Today I was photographing Otters on Mull, I had tracked and got within 30ft and was ensconced photographing a very smart unscarred Dog Otter. I had been with him for 15/20mins when 2 camouflaged idiots with 600m lenses in a bright yellow Self Build Boxer, halted up behind me switched engine off and slammed both doors getting out. As soon as the Otter heard the engine off and doors go his ears pricked up and he was off.

Now I know my field craft, I have been following the Beasties for 30+ years, and I know that Otters don’t see very well but their sense of smell and hearing is amazing so when he shot iff I was bloody annoyed to say the least, so I threw a strop and gave the 2 young lads in their 20s a piece of my mind, including such things as CAMO is a waste of time with Otters and ‘Learn some field craft’ they attempted to apologise but I walked off, me going one way and the Otter going 300 yards out to sea.
On reflection, I shouldn’t have thrown a strop I should have been a little more tactful and maybe tried to educate them, but, what would you have done in similar situations?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think you answered your own question “ Learn some field craft” if they were responsive to a littles guidance a little brief mentoring by your goodself could have set them into the future with some real knowledge and an ambition to become good at what you do.
Its difficult for some young people to learn from their elders these days people just do not have time or inculcation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Chill , live & let live , you will always get a better outcome being nice to people , it took you 30 years to get you’re skill level , the Young uns might not even be 30 year old yet 😁

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
i think your reflection on the incident needs little adding too.

at least they tried to apologies many would have given you some verbal and regretted it latter!! :rolleyes:
or had nor regret as the case maybe :(

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I used to kayak to a high level, there are rules and etiquette that isn’t obvious. I only learnt through others being patient and helping me learn those rules. Lots of those people I just met on rivers at random and must have annoyed them as you were annoyed by your encounter.

Fieldcraft isn’t gained easily, it’s gained through realising you have messed up by doing the wrong thing and annoyed those who know what they are doing. 😀

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I can only imagine how frustrating this must must have been Dave & if I'd been in your shoes, I probably would have done the same thing.
Hopefully the younger lads have learned how annoying careless behaviour can be & better still might have learned a bit about how to approach some spotting.

Feel free to have a rant with us tomorrow, it does you good to get this stuff out of your system, mind you, I might rant back at other things & we can both sit back & say "I don't believe it" :roflmto:

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I can only imagine how frustrating this must must have been Dave & if I'd been in your shoes, I probably would have done the same thing.
Hopefully the younger lads have learned how annoying careless behaviour can be & better still might have learned a bit about how to approach some spotting.

Feel free to have a rant with us tomorrow, it does you good to get this stuff out of your system, mind you, I might rant back at other things & we can both sit back & say "I don't believe it" :roflmto:
Can you have a drink tomorrow, because I will be having one or 3 and Sadly I do believe it, too many young Wallies in the world, I blame their teachers, tin hat on now for fallout 🤪

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I am afraid to admit that Aviation was my first target for Photography starting when I was 13, but 34 years ago I met my first Otter in Norfolk and I was hooked, and ever since at least one trip per year away was to look and photograph them, in some strange places too. The Norfolk Wildflower Centre in Leveringsett, Tesco car park Thetford, The river Urwell near Ramsbottom, plus the obvious places, Mull, Skye, Shetland, Outer Hebrides, all have produced great sightings and opps for photograph. Sorry to bore you but we all have our reason for living one of mine is Otters 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am afraid to admit that Aviation was my first target for Photography starting when I was 13, but 34 years ago I met my first Otter in Norfolk and I was hooked, and ever since at least one trip per year away was to look and photograph them, in some strange places too. The Norfolk Wildflower Centre in Leveringsett, Tesco car park Thetford, The river Urwell near Ramsbottom, plus the obvious places, Mull, Skye, Shetland, Outer Hebrides, all have produced great sightings and opps for photograph. Sorry to bore you but we all have our reason for living one of mine is Otters 🤪🤪🤪🤪
I always preferred beavers ...well till my mid 20's at least 😁🤣🤣 not seen many otters

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
gun hd GIF

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Well unfortunately, as someone who doesn’t really appreciate strop throwing grumpies, I’d have told you to go away in short jerky movements, but in a really nice way and would then have invited you to educate me as to the finer arts of field craft and ascertaining the seasons correct attire for otter spotting, whilst pointing out that I didn’t actually know you were there and explaining that I didn’t have soft close doors on my yellow van! :eek: ;)

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
A missed opportunity to pass on your fab knowledge, You should have put the kettle on… after all it is a water ‘otter

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Today I was photographing Otters on Mull, I had tracked and got within 30ft and was ensconced photographing a very smart unscarred Dog Otter. I had been with him for 15/20mins when 2 camouflaged idiots with 600m lenses in a bright yellow Self Build Boxer, halted up behind me switched engine off and slammed both doors getting out. As soon as the Otter heard the engine off and doors go his ears pricked up and he was off.

Now I know my field craft, I have been following the Beasties for 30+ years, and I know that Otters don’t see very well but their sense of smell and hearing is amazing so when he shot iff I was bloody annoyed to say the least, so I threw a strop and gave the 2 young lads in their 20s a piece of my mind, including such things as CAMO is a waste of time with Otters and ‘Learn some field craft’ they attempted to apologise but I walked off, me going one way and the Otter going 300 yards out to sea.
On reflection, I shouldn’t have thrown a strop I should have been a little more tactful and maybe tried to educate them, but, what would you have done in similar situations?
You did / have done exactly what I would have done. I'm not saying it was correct but you should not beat yourself up about it.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You know you made the mistake of ranting at them, no matter how annoyed you were once you started they turned off listening.

As someone mentioned here Education is what they have missed out on so they just need a little more, the fact they were carrying cameras showed that at least they were hoping to see some wildlife, so perhaps a softer approach might have been called for.

Next time perhaps count to ten but hey I'm thinking you may have learnt something from this episode, good luck with future Otter viewings.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
You got annoyed because someone didn't know the things you do. The otter could have decided to leave anyway. I think you made too big a deal of it. They probably didn't even know what you were doing so how can they be in the wrong?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Your response was understandable but I believe it would have been more productive to point out to the lads what their actions had resulted in, especially if they were receptive to finding out more about otters. After all we all start as ignorant novices.

I'd love to see otters, I saw Ring of bright water as a kid and always thought I'd like to go to Scotland to see them.
I'd no idea they could be seen on the Irwell !
Can you post some of your photographs, I and I'm sure others would love to see them

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Your response was understandable but I believe it would have been more productive to point out to the lads what their actions had resulted in, especially if they were receptive to finding out more about otters. After all we all start as ignorant novices.

I'd love to see otters, I saw Ring of bright water as a kid and always thought I'd like to go to Scotland to see them.
I'd no idea they could be seen on the Irwell !
Can you post some of your photographs, I and I'm sure others would love to see them
Will do soon, just need to sort out all the bits that have been left whilst we have been away for a month.🥴

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
If your still in the area. We have otters in Taynuilt 👍🥃

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun